Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 31

Thread: 400 training. Woman looking to run 52/53

  1. #1

    400 training. Woman looking to run 52/53

    Have a 22yr old woman with prs of 11.6 for the 100 and 23.4 for 200 she has split 53.4 on relay and has only run 55 for the open. came in as a 100 girl. 12.3in the 100. 26.5 for 200 no 400 times. She has progressed well in the 100 and 200 We are now trying to see if we can bring the open 400 down. Program is a mix of KKs a many others. This summer she upped her lifting and long runs. She has come in fitter.300meter hill runs are all 1-2 sec faster. broken 600 runs are faster avg around 33-45-33 and she is doing an extra rep now at 4 just ran 3x3x300 rest 60-8sec btn reps 7 min btwn sets. all in avg time of 50 point. Last year averaged 52-53. We will see how it go's

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    750

    Re: 400 training. Woman looking to run 52/53

    Quote Originally Posted by tedgreen View Post
    Have a 22yr old woman with prs of 11.6 for the 100 and 23.4 for 200 she has split 53.4 on relay and has only run 55 for the open. came in as a 100 girl. 12.3in the 100. 26.5 for 200 no 400 times. She has progressed well in the 100 and 200 We are now trying to see if we can bring the open 400 down. Program is a mix of KKs a many others. This summer she upped her lifting and long runs. She has come in fitter.300meter hill runs are all 1-2 sec faster. broken 600 runs are faster avg around 33-45-33 and she is doing an extra rep now at 4 just ran 3x3x300 rest 60-8sec btn reps 7 min btwn sets. all in avg time of 50 point. Last year averaged 52-53. We will see how it go's
    Hey coach! Keep us all posted. Sounds like she's got some good speed to work with. Sounds very exciting!

    T

  3. #3
    Administrator Angela Coon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,769

    Re: 400 training. Woman looking to run 52/53

    Quote Originally Posted by tedgreen View Post
    Have a 22yr old woman with prs of 11.6 for the 100 and 23.4 for 200 she has split 53.4 on relay and has only run 55 for the open. came in as a 100 girl. 12.3in the 100. 26.5 for 200 no 400 times. She has progressed well in the 100 and 200 We are now trying to see if we can bring the open 400 down. Program is a mix of KKs a many others. This summer she upped her lifting and long runs. She has come in fitter.300meter hill runs are all 1-2 sec faster. broken 600 runs are faster avg around 33-45-33 and she is doing an extra rep now at 4 just ran 3x3x300 rest 60-8sec btn reps 7 min btwn sets. all in avg time of 50 point. Last year averaged 52-53. We will see how it go's
    When will she begin competition? What part of the country are you in?
    Sounds pretty exciting.
    Did she up her training this summer or did you ?

  4. #4

    Re: 400 training. Woman looking to run 52/53

    We are in the Northeast USA. First comp in Dec. We have gradually increased the workload each year. Very low key first year. Focused mainly on short races. Results were mixed at best. That summer she followed a plan that included small runs on grass 3to5 min weights and slow intervals with short recovery. During season we really increased work trained like 400 people but ran short races. Had excellent results. Last year she did more work and again adapted prs in 100 and 200. This summer we increased again she basically did the same summer work as the yr before but runs were at faster pace every thing was easier adaptation seems to have taken place.

    She is fitter than ever. Of course top end speed is going to be a determining factor in how far she go's Today was lift and pool

  5. #5

    Re: 400 training. Woman looking to run 52/53

    Awesome. Looking forward to updates!

  6. #6

    Re: 400 training. Woman looking to run 52/53

    Today 2x7x90 meter hills first few just to find rhythm. Walk down recovery. 5 min btwn sets. We alter different hill sessions from wk to wk some weeks short hard runs from 60 to 100m other weeks longer hills from 200 up to 350 meters. Probably wont extend out beyond 350. most will max out at around 300meters 2x300 with slow walk down recovery btwn reps and 20 to 30 mn btwn sets is a standard workout once we are fit.

  7. #7

    Re: 400 training. Woman looking to run 52/53

    Today tempo on grass 2x5x200 avg 35sec per 200 r=1 and 5 off sat and sun

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    372

    Re: 400 training. Woman looking to run 52/53

    Awesome Ted. KK has some really cool stuff. Search the forums for Henry's training as well (Henry Mitchell). He ran a program similar to KK's and was very successful as a long sprinter. He was in the same boat it sounds, as your female athlete - trying to get to that next level, and he was pretty successful at it. He was initially like a 21.8-22.0 guy then he went down to near 21.0 from like 18 to 21. Did a good amount of long SE split reps, like sets of split 300s (150+150) and 400s (200+200).

  9. #9

    Re: 400 training. Woman looking to run 52/53

    Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    Awesome Ted. KK has some really cool stuff. Search the forums for Henry's training as well (Henry Mitchell). He ran a program similar to KK's and was very successful as a long sprinter. He was in the same boat it sounds, as your female athlete - trying to get to that next level, and he was pretty successful at it. He was initially like a 21.8-22.0 guy then he went down to near 21.0 from like 18 to 21. Did a good amount of long SE split reps, like sets of split 300s (150+150) and 400s (200+200).
    Thanks, Any idea where on here I could find Henrys training. I've read the lactate thread several times. I also think PJ had a 400 woman around 50-52. We haven't gotten into long split runs yet. Short SE out to 80m is about as far as we have gone. Our longer hard runs have been done on the hills so far.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    372

    Re: 400 training. Woman looking to run 52/53

    Quote Originally Posted by tedgreen View Post
    Thanks, Any idea where on here I could find Henrys training. I've read the lactate thread several times. I also think PJ had a 400 woman around 50-52. We haven't gotten into long split runs yet. Short SE out to 80m is about as far as we have gone. Our longer hard runs have been done on the hills so far.
    Yup, here's the link: http://www.charliefrancis.com/commun...ng-for-100-200

    He never really focused on the 400m, but some of the things he did are really neat.

    When you read his posts too, pay attention to the dates of things as well. He posted for a few weeks every few months.

    He used to be under a well known coach, but then started training on his own and developing his own program and was also very successful at that.

    Basically, for pre-comp, he ends up doing something like Mon - short sprints and max v. all with full recoveries, tempo tues, then on Wednesday a couple starts to warm up and longer sprints that get longer as the season progresses something like 120-150, then tempo thurs, and on Friday back to long split runs again, 200+. On all of the long sprints he has short recoveries between reps then complete recoveries between sets, until the competition period I believe, then goes with more complete recoveries. One of the most helpful threads on this forum IMO

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •