Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: SPP1 for Ice breaker meet

Re: SPP1 for Ice breaker meet

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    So would I be better off and see more progress if I went, say, Speed on Monday, SE split reps Wed., then Speed again on Friday?

This summer I did max velocity on Monday, speed endurance wednesday, and shorter accels on Friday.

So if I did set it up like speed Mon, SE wed, speed Fri, I guess my question is what should I vary Monday and Friday? That is, if you think that schedule is doable.
    I`m not totally happy with the schedule you propose, shown below.
    Mon: Speed
    Wed: SE
    Fri: Speed

Except for putting a couple of back-to-back hard workouts in my pre-comp phase (to prepare for meets), I like to give 48hrs recovery after speed, and 72hrs recovery after SE. I feel that your speed won`t quite be there on the Friday. The Friday might be a good day for short acceleration work, but I don`t like it as a top speed day.

Quote Originally Posted by rainy.here View Post
    I`m not totally happy with the schedule you propose, shown below.
    Mon: Speed
    Wed: SE
    Fri: Speed

Except for putting a couple of back-to-back hard workouts in my pre-comp phase (to prepare for meets), I like to give 48hrs recovery after speed, and 72hrs recovery after SE. I feel that your speed won`t quite be there on the Friday. The Friday might be a good day for short acceleration work, but I don`t like it as a top speed day.
    Yes, with 3 HI days, Mon top speed (ie flying sprints/ins and outs) and Fri acceleration work sounds good.

I agree totally about that. Like I said about my summer schedule, my Monday was Max V. I would not have been able to do that on Friday so I stuck to lower volume and short accels.

So when I am actually doing real fly work like in November, I plan on doing that on Mondays, which is what I did this summer.
    96 hours between the actual pure speed sessions (monday, friday) worked well for me anyways. The middle wednesday session is slightly less draining on the CNS than pure speed. So then the weekend allows for supercompensation, then you're ready for the next week.

Today did 1500m tempo. Going to do some massage tonight, and probably just rest for tomorrow and then see what I can do speed-wise on Friday.

But anyhow, I do remember reading on two peoples' journals they were doing split reps on monday and friday, with speed wednesday. Just explaining, that's the reason why I did that.

newb probs I guess.

Today did 1500m tempo. Going to do some massage tonight, and probably just rest for tomorrow and then see what I can do speed-wise on Friday.

But anyhow, I do remember reading on two peoples' journals they were doing split reps on monday and friday, with speed wednesday. Just explaining, that's the reason why I did that.

newb probs I guess.
    There is a couple of problems in your program
    1) You are 16 weeks away from your comp in December that's the long, long way to go
    2) By doing speed on Mon and Fri (acc) and SE on Wed you'll be reaching your form way sooner because the two really HI days.
    3) Your: 2x10m sled, 4x10m push up start, 1x20m sled, 4x20m push up start, 2x25 block (4x25), 3x4x60 is really high volume for some on who is new to S to L its 930m-980m in total!!!
    There is also 13 to 15 starts before SE runs, there is pretty good data that big number of starts accumulates lactate plus its a quite big stress, so by the time you are at the end of your second set of 4 you are toasted. The total volume of 980m can be designed as 2x10+ 4x4x60 workout, huge volume for someone new into the system. 4x20+ 3x3x60 that's might be more tolerable for you which is 620m of total volume.

The concept of two SE days is to get a 1) lactate response, 2) working on the form of running. Lactate accumulation/ response/ adaptation in the first mesocycle or two, will help you with the higher quality runs in the later stages of the program.

Do not rush your program.

You have read two peoples' journals, any conclusions?

Quote Originally Posted by wermouth View Post
    There is a couple of problems in your program
    1) You are 16 weeks away from your comp in December that's the long, long way to go
    2) By doing speed on Mon and Fri (acc) and SE on Wed you'll be reaching your form way sooner because the two really HI days.
    3) Your: 2x10m sled, 4x10m push up start, 1x20m sled, 4x20m push up start, 2x25 block (4x25), 3x4x60 is really high volume for some on who is new to S to L its 930m-980m in total!!!
    There is also 13 to 15 starts before SE runs, there is pretty good data that big number of starts accumulates lactate plus its a quite big stress, so by the time you are at the end of your second set of 4 you are toasted. The total volume of 980m can be designed as 2x10+ 4x4x60 workout, huge volume for someone new into the system. 4x20+ 3x3x60 that's might be more tolerable for you which is 620m of total volume.

The concept of two SE days is to get a 1) lactate response, 2) working on the form of running. Lactate accumulation/ response/ adaptation in the first mesocycle or two, will help you with the higher quality runs in the later stages of the program.

Do not rush your program.

You have read two peoples' journals, any conclusions?
    It's actually 12 weeks, but yeah I totally get the volume problem there.

"The concept of two SE days is to get a 1) lactate response, 2) working on the form of running. Lactate accumulation/ response/ adaptation in the first mesocycle or two, will help you with the higher quality runs in the later stages of the program"
    So are you saying I should do that?

I'm really not trying to rush my program, I know 12 weeks is still quite a long SPP (8 is typical from what I've seen), but I just misunderstood a few things in reading about the SE split reps idea. I've never done them before.
    I've read a ton of journals, but I distinctly remember 2 guys using the SE split reps. One guy ended up getting a lot of minor injuries and thus didn't compete much, the other guy was pretty good though.

So just speed on my next HI session for me though. But again, are you suggesting the 2 SE program you outlined?

It's actually 12 weeks, but yeah I totally get the volume problem there.

"The concept of two SE days is to get a 1) lactate response, 2) working on the form of running. Lactate accumulation/ response/ adaptation in the first mesocycle or two, will help you with the higher quality runs in the later stages of the program"
    So are you saying I should do that?

I'm really not trying to rush my program, I know 12 weeks is still quite a long SPP (8 is typical from what I've seen), but I just misunderstood a few things in reading about the SE split reps idea. I've never done them before.
    I've read a ton of journals, but I distinctly remember 2 guys using the SE split reps. One guy ended up getting a lot of minor injuries and thus didn't compete much, the other guy was pretty good though.

So just speed on my next HI session for me though. But again, are you suggesting the 2 SE program you outlined?
    Well, ask yourself question. Are there any benefits of running SE splits? What are they?

Out of curiosity, what your GPP program looked like?

I mean, you pretty much stated 'em. But I basically did some hills, ground/pushup starts, and I did split runs starting from 5m and built up to 15m intensity limit up til just before SPP. Low volumes. Usually under 200m speed. Mostly on grass.
    I was just going on a recovery based progression, so no real schedule. But I was doing something like 2 SE and one speed per week on average. I kept the volume on SE days well under 100, as I was mostly focusing on 10m starts.

I mean, you pretty much stated 'em. But I basically did some hills, ground/pushup starts, and I did split runs starting from 5m and built up to 15m intensity limit up til just before SPP. Low volumes. Usually under 200m speed. Mostly on grass.
    I was just going on a recovery based progression, so no real schedule. But I was doing something like 2 SE and one speed per week on average. I kept the volume on SE days well under 100, as I was mostly focusing on 10m starts.
    Can you be more specific please
    number of runs and distance, week 1, 2, 3, 4 plus days