Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Indoor Training Plan - Please critique?

Re: Indoor Training Plan - Please critique?

Quote Originally Posted by robin1 View Post
    Seems to me like you're coming up too quickly, especially in the 10m start. I would move the hips a bit higher in the set position and focus on driving forward out of the blocks rather than jumping.

Can you get someone to hold the camera and follow you with it next time, so we get more of a close up view?
    First Brett, thanks for posting. It takes courage to put up video.

I agree with Robin, you are lifting your head very early. This means too much force is moving vertically rather than laterally. I don't think the issue can be fixed simply by not lifting your head. You do need some focused instruction. There is still a lot of potential for improvement with your technique. From watching your movement, I would classify your technique as intermediate at this point; there is a lot of heel cycling going on in the first 10m.

I will try to post an athlete's start that I like and you can compare. It would be very good if you could get some 120fps video on an iPhone 5s. I would restrict the video to the first 3 to 5m of your run, and place on a tripod if possible. Keep the camera close. If you could set it to slo-mo and upload to Youtube it would facilitate analysis.

Fix the first few steps then move out.

Brett,
    T Slow and others have contributed excellent points.
    I have looked at both of your video's. Thanks for posting them.
    Notice the nice jump you are making before each run. This shows excellent life in your muscles. You might also think of this as " the readiness of the muscles " ( This has nothing to do with how you will technically perform but it's one part, an important part of what you need to begin for sprinting.)
    I think you are too far back from the line with your start. Your hips as Robin1 suggested are not high enough. TSlow has made the point that how you set yourself up in the very beginning sets up your mechanics. You want to have the feeling as though you are bunched up at the start.
    When you set yourself up with proper mechanics it's easier to REPEAT those mechanics.

We know from the jump that your ready to train for speed.
    Properly setting your blocks takes a bit of time and experience and it will change slowly over time.
    The advantage of performing starts and runs up to 10 meters from a laying flat position is you are setting yourself up in the correct position without thought ( as sprinting is hind brain anyway) and you are practicing the mechanics you need.
    A key aspect to learning how to sprint is about practicing high quality mechanics routinely.

Here are a few tips to how you might be able to improve your start
    Do you feel like you might fall over if you had to told you final set position too long?
    Before changing anything check to see where the front leg that is bent touches the line? You need that front leg to come as close as it can to the line without going over the line. If your knee is not touching the line at all adjust it a little bit. Try not to make big changes all at once but you want your knee as close to the line without touching as possible.
    The best I will tell you about your back leg is I think you might be putting it too far back. You don't want to feel too stable in your blocks but you still need to have control while you are in the blocks.
    If you are by yourself you need to spend a bit of time trying to adjust the blocks but be mindful of how much time you are spending at any given time. It's easy to spend a great deal of time on this in relation to the other training variables you also need to work on.

Quote Originally Posted by Angela Coon View Post
    We know from the jump that your ready to train for speed.
    Properly setting your blocks takes a bit of time and experience and it will change slowly over time.
    The advantage of performing starts and runs up to 10 meters from a laying flat position is you are setting yourself up in the correct position without thought ( as sprinting is hind brain anyway) and you are practicing the mechanics you need.
    A key aspect to learning how to sprint is about practicing high quality mechanics routinely.

Here are a few tips to how you might be able to improve your start
    Do you feel like you might fall over if you had to told you final set position too long?
    Before changing anything check to see where the front leg that is bent touches the line? You need that front leg to come as close as it can to the line without going over the line. If your knee is not touching the line at all adjust it a little bit. Try not to make big changes all at once but you want your knee as close to the line without touching as possible.
    The best I will tell you about your back leg is I think you might be putting it too far back. You don't want to feel too stable in your blocks but you still need to have control while you are in the blocks.
    If you are by yourself you need to spend a bit of time trying to adjust the blocks but be mindful of how much time you are spending at any given time. It's easy to spend a great deal of time on this in relation to the other training variables you also need to work on.

I definitely can say that I feel very stable, probably is too stable, in set, and I feel like I can hold it forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    I definitely can say that I feel very stable, probably is too stable, in set, and I feel like I can hold it forever.
    I agree about the angles at take off. I believe you will shave off time just by improving the push phase and starting angle

Hi Brett,

Sorry I took so long to upload this.

Below is an example of an accel that I liked. Pay attention to the first 5-7 metres. You can see that there is a "pistoning action" of the legs. The forefoot makes contact and the knee punches forward again. There is very little cycling of the heel.

http://instagram.com/p/mLWzx9w1tW/?modal=true

I think the others are right about developing the work capacity over time. The key when looking at those sample workouts is to understand qualitatively how the load is being progressed over time. Another point that Charlie always emphasized is that being able to complete a workout in and of itself is not the objective. Rather, it's the ability to consistently progress performance over time. If you can't handle that workout week in and week out and steadily progress it, it's not helping you.

Since it's almost November, I'm sure you're already well into your progression, but if you've never done this kind of program before I would recommend starting with about half of what Charlie was showing in the example of Ben's training for two reasons. One, you haven't developed the same work capacity yet (but on the other hand you're doing it at a lower absolute intensity). And two, if you're not used to something, it doesn't take much for it to generate results (beginner gains).

Be conservative with the intensity progressions. The accel distance doesn't necessarily have to increase 5m per week. Again, if you're new to it, your body will probably benefit from giving it a little more time at each stage of the progression.

Also appreciate that as the accel distance (intensity limit) increases, the nature of the workout changes fundamentally as well. What is essentially a special endurance workout eventually turns into a maximum speed workout, which can affect your recovery. In the sample template Charlie used in a couple of his seminars there were three workouts, two special endurance and the third a speed change workout. Over the 12 weeks all three workouts basically arrived at the same place, wherein you had three max speed workouts at the end of the progression. That takes a lot of recovery to handle.

What you could do as an alternative is progress the split run workouts in opposite directions with one progressively increasing the intensity limit while holding the run distance (60m) constant until you arrive at a mx speed workout, while the other maintains the intensity limit (or progresses it much slower) and increases the length of the SE splits runs (e.g. from 60m to 120m), to arrive at a special endurance workout using longer runs (e.g. week 1: 4x60m (20+) - week 12: 2x120m (30+)). At that point you'd be ready to move into outdoor season using longer SE runs (e.g. 150-300m) or shorter SE runs (120-150m) without the intensity limit (no split runs).

Just some thoughts. As Charlie always said, there's more than one way to skin a cat.