Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Indoor Training Plan - Please critique?

Re: Indoor Training Plan - Please critique?

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    I find that my absolute fastest 10m split in a 100m race is from 40-50m, top speed is my strength and so I probably reach it a tad bit later than other guys with the same time as me. I will be close to top speed from 30-40 for sure. But up to only 30 I feel like I'm just getting going, that's why I think it would be good for me to have full or near-full accels, 20m flys, and some 150s/200s SE during November in order to come out fast the first meet (first week of December).
    Before addressing any other programming related issues, I need to ask...what you are doing to ensure optimal technique? How do your first six steps look? If you aren't in the right positions in the first 10 metres, the rest of the run is going to be subpar and you are going to repeatedly teach yourself suboptimal technique, and there is no point in moving to 15, 20 or 30 metres if you aren't getting the first 10 pretty close to mechanically optimal. It took me multiple years to understand this simple concept!

Let me make a comparison here. Take a look at the "Total Immersion" swimming website. They teach swimming from what could be easily called a short to long perspective. No endless laps- it's super technically oriented with drills squarely aimed at changing your flawed motor patterns to improve your technique. The speed comes not from effort, but sound technique executed effortlessly without the endless slogging that is usually prescribed to become a better swimmer. Sound familiar? The TI philosophy could have been written by CF himself. (Short to Long programs are highly technically demanding!)

Also, two HI days per week is almost certainly going to work better for you. Three is too much for almost everyone, never mind someone with no background in high CNS demand work.

You don't have to hit every element every week (SE, EFE/FEF, etc). A Monday speed, Thursday speed setup could work, with Tuesday and Friday as recovery days. Saturday could be a mixed day with some hill / drill focused work finishing up with a small tempo circuit with Sundays off, for example. As you get deeper into the season, Saturday would convert to more of a tempo / general fitness day.

If you want to do yourself a favour, look up information in the archives on using an Ithlete. One of my athletes has been collecting data for nearly two years. It helps give you an objective idea of your CNS status, and it's inexpensive. (use Google to search the site archives, not the site search function)
    Last edited by T-Slow; 09-03-2014 at 06:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by T-Slow View Post
    Before addressing any other programming related issues, I need to ask...what you are doing to ensure optimal technique? How do your first six steps look? If you aren't in the right positions in the first 10 metres, the rest of the run is going to be subpar and you are going to repeatedly teach yourself suboptimal technique, and there is no point in moving to 15, 20 or 30 metres if you aren't getting the first 10 pretty close to mechanically optimal. It took me multiple years to understand this simple concept!

Let me make a comparison here. Take a look at the "Total Immersion" swimming website. They teach swimming from what could be easily called a short to long perspective. No endless laps- it's super technically oriented with drills squarely aimed at changing your flawed motor patterns to improve your technique. The speed comes not from effort, but sound technique executed effortlessly without the endless slogging that is usually prescribed to become a better swimmer. Sound familiar? The TI philosophy could have been written by CF himself. (Short to Long programs are highly technically demanding!)

Also, two HI days per week is almost certainly going to work better for you. Three is too much for almost everyone, never mind someone with no background in high CNS demand work.

You don't have to hit every element every week (SE, EFE/FEF, etc). A Monday speed, Thursday speed setup could work, with Tuesday and Friday as recovery days. Saturday could be a mixed day with some hill / drill focused work finishing up with a small tempo circuit with Sundays off, for example. As you get deeper into the season, Saturday would convert to more of a tempo / general fitness day.

If you want to do yourself a favour, look up information in the archives on using an Ithlete. One of my athletes has been collecting data for nearly two years. It helps give you an objective idea of your CNS status, and it's inexpensive. (use Google to search the site archives, not the site search function)
    Well what I have been doing for the past month is a pretty high volume of ground starts - push up starts, laying on back and getting up, etc. I was scrambling at first but I've been doing better at them.

As for 3 HI days, it actually worked really well for me this summer, I just kept the volumes low enough that I could recover in time and I feel like it enabled me to focus on something more each day (focus on Mon was max v, wed was speed end., and fri was focused on shorter accels). So I would do around 300m on monday and friday volume wise and it meshed pretty well. The way I see it now is, if I still feel unrecovered on Wednesday, I'll just do tempo or take off.

Well what I have been doing for the past month is a pretty high volume of ground starts - push up starts, laying on back and getting up, etc. I was scrambling at first but I've been doing better at them.

As for 3 HI days, it actually worked really well for me this summer, I just kept the volumes low enough that I could recover in time and I feel like it enabled me to focus on something more each day (focus on Mon was max v, wed was speed end., and fri was focused on shorter accels). So I would do around 300m on monday and friday volume wise and it meshed pretty well. The way I see it now is, if I still feel unrecovered on Wednesday, I'll just do tempo or take off.
    I strongly suggest you stick to two high intensity days per week. You are FAR better underdoing things rather than overdoing them.

Also, you have done a lot of talking about how to set up the program. Can we see some video? Realistically, all of this means nothing unless we can see your motor patterns.

Where in Ohio are you based? Do you work out of the Spire Center? There is a very good coach I know in the area that may be able to take a look at you at some point.

I strongly suggest you stick to two high intensity days per week. You are FAR better underdoing things rather than overdoing them.

Also, you have done a lot of talking about how to set up the program. Can we see some video? Realistically, all of this means nothing unless we can see your motor patterns.

Where in Ohio are you based? Do you work out of the Spire Center? There is a very good coach I know in the area that may be able to take a look at you at some point.
    I'll make a point next week to get some film on me. I have some from summer, but I don't think the angles were very good. But I'll try to remember to film some stuff next week.

I actually am about 1 hour away from SPIRE and have ran there several times. Are you talking about Charlie Powell?

Thanks T

I'll make a point next week to get some film on me. I have some from summer, but I don't think the angles were very good. But I'll try to remember to film some stuff next week.

I actually am about 1 hour away from SPIRE and have ran there several times. Are you talking about Charlie Powell?

Thanks T
    Hey Brett,

Some video would be great. I have spoken to Charlie Powell on the phone and he seems like a great guy, but I don't know him other than to have a couple of conversations.

The coach I know lives on the outskirts of Cleveland, works out of SPIRE occasionally, and is a pretty big short to long guy who has had a lot of success at the high school level. Let me ask him if he would mind talking to you and I'll DM you the details if that's cool.

I must say, the SPIRE Center is the most outrageously awesome facility I have ever encountered. It is a fantastic spot for a winter training camp that I hope to take advantage of someday soon.

Hey Brett,

Some video would be great. I have spoken to Charlie Powell on the phone and he seems like a great guy, but I don't know him other than to have a couple of conversations.

The coach I know lives on the outskirts of Cleveland, works out of SPIRE occasionally, and is a pretty big short to long guy who has had a lot of success at the high school level. Let me ask him if he would mind talking to you and I'll DM you the details if that's cool.

I must say, the SPIRE Center is the most outrageously awesome facility I have ever encountered. It is a fantastic spot for a winter training camp that I hope to take advantage of someday soon.
    That would be awesome! Thank you so much

Hey Brett,

That's a 10m block start at 1.83s (no RT)

20m @ 3.15

Seems to me like you're coming up too quickly, especially in the 10m start. I would move the hips a bit higher in the set position and focus on driving forward out of the blocks rather than jumping.

Can you get someone to hold the camera and follow you with it next time, so we get more of a close up view?