Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Kirani James and leshawn Merritt

  1. #1

    Kirani James and leshawn Merritt

    Having just watched the Lausanne diamond race and Kirani running 43.73

    He surely has a strong chance if going sub 43.5 wouldn't you think


    These two have a great finish strength, does anyone have any excerpt of their training?

  2. #2
    Member TMSSF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Cape Cod
    Posts
    720

    Re: Kirani James and leshawn Merritt

    Is Harvey Glance still James' coach?

  3. #3

    Re: Kirani James and leshawn Merritt

    Good interview with Merritt on SpeedEndurance.com (I think a member here is the interviewer?). He switched coaches in 2012, now with Loren Seagrave, was with Dwayne Miller before that.

    Miller's 400m notes from the 2008 USATF clinic are on the USATF site. Not sure if that is exactly what Merritt did back then but it is insight into his former coach.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    750

    Re: Kirani James and leshawn Merritt

    Quote Originally Posted by Stikki View Post
    Good interview with Merritt on SpeedEndurance.com (I think a member here is the interviewer?). He switched coaches in 2012, now with Loren Seagrave, was with Dwayne Miller before that.

    Miller's 400m notes from the 2008 USATF clinic are on the USATF site. Not sure if that is exactly what Merritt did back then but it is insight into his former coach.
    The great KitKat certainly is a member here, and he did a really nice job of drilling Merritt with training specific questions in his interview. I can say that I was down in Florida at IMG for a course in December, and Merritt was nowhere to be found, but Demetrius Pinder and the rest of the sprint group were all there. When asked about this, Seagrave stated that Merritt doesn't usually show up at IMG until January. I believe Merritt sticks with the type of prep work that he did under Dwayne Miller during the fall before heading down to IMG. Merritt mentions starting with repeat 800's when he arrives in Florida in KitKat's interview, and that would be a smooth progression down from the mile repeats he would do in the fall GPP under Miller.
    Last edited by T-Slow; 07-04-2014 at 12:01 AM.

  5. #5
    Member TMSSF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Cape Cod
    Posts
    720

    Re: Kirani James and leshawn Merritt

    What estimated percentage of total early season micro-work does Seagrave have his elite athletes do interval training runs? I read somewhere that he uses the new interval training system as a work session and wasn't clear if this is implemented during mid training year as well.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    750

    Re: Kirani James and leshawn Merritt

    Quote Originally Posted by TMSSF View Post
    What estimated percentage of total early season micro-work does Seagrave have his elite athletes do interval training runs? I read somewhere that he uses the new interval training system as a work session and wasn't clear if this is implemented during mid training year as well.
    What do you mean by interval training runs? What is the new interval training system?

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    1,801

    Re: Kirani James and leshawn Merritt

    I'd link them but it's mostly to commercial sites. Search for Peter Thompson and new interval training.

  8. #8
    Member sady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    wherever the wind blows
    Posts
    765

    Re: Kirani James and leshawn Merritt

    Peter is a nice bloke, was ceo of the aust coaches assn for a couple of months just before glennys took over the reins.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    750

    Re: Kirani James and leshawn Merritt

    Quote Originally Posted by sady View Post
    Peter is a nice bloke, was ceo of the aust coaches assn for a couple of months just before glennys took over the reins.
    I did a search. These type of runs have been used for years in a variety of programs, e.g. 5x200 with jog recovery (on the sprint side of things). I'm not too knowledgeable about 10k and up training, but ESTI would know. If Seagrave uses these for sprinters, I'd imagine use would be fairly limited, as strictly lactate type sessions. I know he likes 300+300, 300+200, 300+150 for Merritt, so perhaps he will occasionally use "roll-on" recovery between runs.

  10. #10
    Member TMSSF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Cape Cod
    Posts
    720

    Re: Kirani James and leshawn Merritt

    Quote Originally Posted by T-Slow View Post
    I did a search. These type of runs have been used for years in a variety of programs, e.g. 5x200 with jog recovery (on the sprint side of things). I'm not too knowledgeable about 10k and up training, but ESTI would know. If Seagrave uses these for sprinters, I'd imagine use would be fairly limited, as strictly lactate type sessions. I know he likes 300+300, 300+200, 300+150 for Merritt, so perhaps he will occasionally use "roll-on" recovery between runs.
    You're probably right on this. I generally use the system in VO2max sessions with 4/8 athletes. 30:30's, 60:60's, 3:3 and like that. Had a modicum of success last winter with a short sprinter to assist in long sprint development and recovery processes.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •