Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: First outdoor meet of the year.

Re: First outdoor meet of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by rich121 View Post
    She is eating very healthy. Once a week, about 4 days before her race I will make 2 quarts of organic swiss chard/kale/carrot/apple/celery juice with my vertical auger type juicer. Each day up to the meet she drinks about 10 oz, including the next day. Then, she goes 2 days without juice.

Each day I add 3 tablespoons of hemp seed and the same of chia seed to whatever she is eating that day. She also takes supplemental protein powder.
    K is very focused and serious about training, and even more serious at race time. Especially now, since she is seeing the results of all he work she put in last winter.

She told me at the last race, the girl that she was focused on beating kept talking to her while getting ready for her heat.. she said she finally just had to 'tuner her out', as she said she needed to focus on her race.

The sleep part has been somewhat of an issue for awhile, as I have trouble getting her to get any more than 7.5 - 8 hours sleep... If she goes to bed before 10pm, she ends up getting up before 6am...
    She does take a nap after school a couple days each week, though.

And again, thank you so much for including another workout...

I do hope that you put together your video, as I am one who needs as much visual as possible, and I'm sure it would be a great tool in understanding concepts.

Okay so you have noticed now what are you going to do about it? There might not be much " to do" right now. But keep a close eye on that , ask the questions about how she is doing and feeling. How she answers , what she says are both clues to what is really going on.
    Does she nap more than one hour at a time? I know that over hour naps are usually a sign of lack of sleep.
    All you are trying to do is learn as much about how she is doing and make sure she is not doing too much work. Over work is so common and once you are overworked it's very hard to do less as it does not feel right.
    Don't be afraid to take a day off sometimes especially after something great in a workout or session or a meet.
    I am curious what happens to her sleep if ? or when she has 2 full days off?

May 1st 1995

felt very stiff, great pump in the muscle, therefor charlie had me do 10's only ( I loved running speed workouts above anything)

1. 1.04
    2. 1.02
    3. 1.01
    4. 1.01

break

5. .97
    6. .98
    7. 1.02
    8. He had me try a 20 meter but we missed the time and it must not have been good or we would have progressed to longer distances.

break

9. 1.00
    10. .98
    11. .90
    13. .98
    14. .89
    15. .91
    16. .90
    17. .89
    18. 90

( I would have done a slow and easy walk back and repeated these until completion. The volume of speed is about 2 x 100 meters and you get to count the acceleration so in some ways it's more taxing for me than my 100 meter flat out because my 100 meter time was never very good. We used to break down speed often as I had trouble with speed endurance of all kinds. I was fast but I had trouble staying fast for a long time. My best running was indoors as there were less variables such as wind and that extra 40 meters!)

Next day May 2nd 1995

Went to Rosedale Park ( near my house).
    It was mild and / little cool.
    Did warm up
    drills
    very easy 10 x 100 meters tempo recovery runs

Quote Originally Posted by Angela Coon View Post
    He had me try a 20 meter but we missed the time and it must not have been good or we would have progressed to longer distances.
    Hi Angela,

Thanks for posting these times from your notes. I have several quick questions.

1. Were these marks hand-timed with a stopwatch?

2. What type of fly-in did you use? Was it an easy buildup or was it a powerful acceleration?

3. Regarding the 20 m, do you recall the go/no-go intervention time?

Best,
    Christopher

Quote Originally Posted by glaeser View Post
    Hi Angela,

Thanks for posting these times from your notes. I have several quick questions.

1. Were these marks hand-timed with a stopwatch?

2. What type of fly-in did you use? Was it an easy buildup or was it a powerful acceleration?

3. Regarding the 20 m, do you recall the go/no-go intervention time?

Best,
    Christopher
    ================================================== ==
    1. Yes Christopher the times I have posted are all hand times with a timex iron man watch Charlie and I both used for 25 years. He used his iron man / Timex watch long before meeting me pre 1988 for the same purpose. Charlie never used a stop watch. Timex has it's own stop watch function.

2. a) 100 percent of the time we used a falling , crouch start = you stand at the line, both knees are bent with your lead leg ahead, arms are both bent touching your side ready to go ( Lindsay demonstates this start in GPP). I have noted if they are block starts. If I am doing starts over hurdles for time it was always from the blocks
    2. b) The only time we used build up starts would have been for EFE or FEF. So from a crouch start these runs were timed.

3. I am not sure I understand your question. I began the workout very tight. We started doing 10's , they looked pretty good. In an attempt to progress the workout but still maintain some caution a 20 m run was chosen in place of another 10 meter. If the 20 meter starts to degrade ( which in this case it did) then you revert back to the 10's which were working well. Typically 10's in a first or second set might be done in a volume of 40 to 60 meters but then again that depends on weather, how the athltete is feeling , what the athlete's background is doing speed etc. The most time that would have transpired would have been 3 to 4 min maybe if a break was happening anyway or a tiny walk back if we were still in the process of that set.
    A go / no go intervention time had that been a greater distance would be consistent with breaks you take for those distances.
    Have I answered this question properly? I think so.

Quote Originally Posted by Angela Coon View Post
    ================================================== ==
    1. Yes Christopher the times I have posted are all hand times with a timex iron man watch Charlie and I both used for 25 years. He used his iron man / Timex watch long before meeting me pre 1988 for the same purpose. Charlie never used a stop watch. Timex has it's own stop watch function.
    Chris,

Charlie's hand times were often generous (started at first touchdown versus first movement), but he had a consistent conversion to meet performances from them.

The last time I was with him in person, I realized how finite of an eye he had, as one of my runners did a 30m accel and after the run told him, "you are done today, that left hamstring tightened up a bit on that run" The kid hadn't said a word about it to me or him. My point is the run to me looked fast/good for the kid. To Charlie, timed run or not, he saw something irregular and shut him down.

Hi Angela, thanks for detailed response. When I originally read the post about "speed workouts" and reviewed the times I assumed these were 10 m fly-in sprints, but having read ESTI's comment about starting the clock on the first touchdown and a conversion factor, I'm not sure. Was this workout 10 m accelerations or 10 m fly-in sprints?

Best,
    Christopher

I know what I feel is right.... but I would like to know what should be considered the very minimum recovery time from crossing the finish line after running the 4 x 100m relay, to getting into the blocks for the 400m, as the 400m directly follows the 4 x 100m relay, which K anchors....
    And sometimes, as with last night, as soon as she crosses the finish line they are getting ready to run the one and only heat of the girls 400m race, which is her main event, but because she is the fastest girl on the team, she is loaded up with relays too.
    Yesterday was also the very first 'warm' day of the year, it was 80 degrees F, about 30 degrees warmer than last Saturday's meet.

The coach runs her in this order: 4 x 100m, 400m, 200m, 4 x 400m, but I will strongly voice what is the proper recovery time.

I would really appreciate some back-up documentation or expertise, as I need to make sure that this is something that is followed... I want to keep my daughter injury free.

Quote Originally Posted by rich121 View Post
    I know what I feel is right.... but I would like to know what should be considered the very minimum recovery time from crossing the finish line after running the 4 x 100m relay, to getting into the blocks for the 400m, as the 400m directly follows the 4 x 100m relay, which K anchors....
    And sometimes, as with last night, as soon as she crosses the finish line they are getting ready to run the one and only heat of the girls 400m race, which is her main event, but because she is the fastest girl on the team, she is loaded up with relays too.
    Yesterday was also the very first 'warm' day of the year, it was 80 degrees F, about 30 degrees warmer than last Saturday's meet.

Obviously the coach chooses the events, he runs her in this order: 4 x 100m, 400m, 200m, 4 x 400m, but I will strongly voice what is the proper recovery time.

I would really appreciate some back-up documentation or expertise, as I need to make sure that this is something that is followed... I want to keep my daughter injury free.
    Generally, the higher the output of the sprinter the longer they will need to recover before the next "rep" if that next rep is to be performed at the highest possible quality. So it's a highly subjective matter.

You may recall this event from Asafa Powell http://sports.ndtv.com/othersports/a...ike-amid-chaos in which he went 9.97 then 10.06 after the re-call and 400m event.

Clearly following the relay 100m leg with the 400m is at least a more favorable sequence then the alternative; however, as to the minimum recovery time for your daughter that would most definitively be answered according to her training journal- in terms of what rest time is she accustomed to between that range of speed endurance distance; provided she is given full recoveries in practice.

The biochemical technicalities at play are the required re-synthesis of adenosine triphosphate and reduction in blood lactate concentration that are required for her to perform optimally in the subsequent 400. There is no definitive way to answer how much time she needs without referencing previous training sessions or, best case scenario, trackside blood analysis (which isn't likely to happen).

Rick,
    Is she still using EMS?