Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Short Speed day

Re: Short Speed day

Quote Originally Posted by ESTI View Post
    When a person has a movement issue, look to rule out any structural blocks. Her being able to flex the hip standing to 90 of higher, to me, says it's not structural. She can do it standing, but not well when sprinting.

I have several kids who ran just like her, and with some variations, have made big improvements in a few weeks without any chiros, doctors, secret ab workouts. I had to find ways to put them in positions I wanted that they could perform.

The easiest was a focus on drills. Here is the list of drills we do on speed days:

John Smith Pizza Box A SKip and B skip followed by 20m run outs.
    Traditional A skip, B Skip with 20m run outs.
    Progressive A runs into run outs

The progressive A run starts as a strength endurance run seem in the PowerSpeed downloads. We walk for about 10m and then progressively increase the stride length with each step until the point I am running next to them.

We did this for a few weeks and scrapped the training plans. I didn't see a point in doing things if they werent done right. I stepped back and made the changes I felt were needed.
    Listen carefully to what ESTI suggests. John Smith drills are very close to what CF would look for. I know this for a fact because I asked him who he modeled his drills after. I was at a week long course and had the opportunity to pick his brain over a three day period. The reason I asked is because he spent time with Bud Winter in San Jose (who allegedly used similar drills) as well as quite a bit of time in Toronto in the early 1980's with Charlie's group at the Metro Track and Field Centre. Smith stated that Gerard Mach's drills are the basis of the drills he uses.

The only caveat with using the above drills is that you need to know exactly what you're looking for- just doing them is not sufficient. This is why a short to long program is so difficult to implement. There is a lot of accelerating going on, and if it's not done properly it will be deeply ingrained.

As a question to ESTI, do you think perhaps PJ Vazel's hurdle drill would be easier to implement immediately? Could we ask him for permission to post it? The only downside is you need quite a few small hurdles, but it almost guarantees that the athlete will get in the correct position with zero cueing.

What's a pizza box drill??

Quote Originally Posted by hornblower View Post
    What's a pizza box drill??
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIEgykQKbIY

The Power&Speed download has something similar with weights overhead, which I also like to use at times.

Going to work on frontside mechanics drills today...

I would really appreciate the "PJ Vazel's hurdle drill" that T-Slow mentioned, if possible.

Would like to help her the best way possible. She has had a lot of really, really bad things happen in track over the past 2 years and I don't want her to lose her love and interest... At times, she does get a little depressed at what has already happened.

Question for ESTI: You mentioned "Power&Speed/Power Speed download", I don't know what you are referring to?

Quote Originally Posted by rich121 View Post
    Going to work on frontside mechanics drills today...

I would really appreciate the "PJ Vazel's hurdle drill" that T-Slow mentioned, if possible.

Would like to help her the best way possible. She has had a lot of really, really bad things happen in track over the past 2 years and I don't want her to lose her love and interest... At times, she does get a little depressed at what has already happened.

Question for ESTI: You mentioned "Power&Speed/Power Speed download", I don't know what you are referring to?
    http://youtu.be/JwywgQJJWng

Hurdle drill is common in France. It's scattered throughout this video. It's the same thing as my progressive A run build up, just with 25-40 mini hurdles spaced on the track.
    Last edited by ESTI; 12-30-2013 at 09:21 PM.

[QUOTE=rich121;249231]Here are some drills done Saturday (yesterday), which might give clues?
    Work needed on triple extension, dorsiflexion.

Running A's

High Knee Skip Bounds

Straight Leg Bounds

Sprint Bounds (needs work being more vertical, triple extension, and dorsiflexion)

2 Foot Hops

Left Left Right Right Hops (at 4:14 you can see her walking back for 2 consecutive reps. This may give clues with posture, or?)

2 Foot Hops with Medicine Ball

Over the past year or more, this site format is really frustrating... I have to log-out of using
    Explorer or writing/editing posts is next to
    impossible... if I want to post or edit, I have to
    use Firefox... why is this site like this?????[/
    QUOTE]

I sort of walk the same way as her and for myself, I've been thinking lately it might have to do with hypermobility, and by extension maybe even shallow hip sockets(hip dysplasia). Also I'm
    slightly bow-legged. For instance, if you're
    hypermobile, kelly starrett advises against band distraction to gain range of motion(hips) or muscle dynamics(taking the hypermobile joint to end range and tugging on the insertion)

Quote Originally Posted by rainy.here View Post
    That's a good question. I don't have a test I use - mostly just seeing how well they do with our ab work in training.

What level does she get on these?
    http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...our_abs_really

What about number of V-sits she can perform before her lower back starts to arch at the bottom of the rep?
    Two Abs workout I use:

First one quite hard
    1) http://www.flotrack.org/speaker/91-T...llering-Around

Second is a stability workout
    2) http://www.flotrack.org/video/24613-...RunningDVDscom

Quote Originally Posted by wermouth View Post
    Two Abs workout I use:

First one quite hard
    1) http://www.flotrack.org/speaker/91-T...llering-Around

Second is a stability workout
    2) http://www.flotrack.org/video/24613-...RunningDVDscom
    I like the Hardee wallering-around workout and find it damn hard personally.

Quote Originally Posted by rainy.here View Post
    I like the Hardee wallering-around workout and find it damn hard personally.
    Very similar to Charlie's fast ab 30 sec series.

Quote Originally Posted by ESTI View Post
    Very similar to Charlie's fast ab 30 sec series.

any links to that