Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: 400m training

400m training

Can someone please give me a weekly/monthly basic setup of a 400m program. Base-transition-In season?

I just want to know the key sessions I should do and how much speed etc..

I am 30. Have a pb of 51 flat. Want to run sub 50.

I can provide more info if you need.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit" Aristotle

Re: 400m training

Quote Originally Posted by Nikoluski View Post
    I have gone trought that tread. But its too much info. And I think kitkats program would be a bit too hard to do for a non elite runner.
    I have seen his setup, but I think i would get injured orovertrained by following it. Therefore it would be nice with a setup that is more suited for the sub elite.

The adjustment to one's needs etc is a given. And again, KK's plan is an example. CF's plans involve both short-to-long and long-to-short. Depending on what suits you!
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit" Aristotle

The adjustment to one's needs etc is a given. And again, KK's plan is an example. CF's plans involve both short-to-long and long-to-short. Depending on what suits you!

Thanks.
    where can i find CF 400mplan?

Since you seem to have alot of knowlege.Can you give me suggestion for a 400m training program?
    I am coming down from training for the 800m. I want to run a fast 400m.
    pb: 100:12.2
    200:24.2
    400:51.1
    800m: 1.59

There is lots of information in the archives on 400m training programs. The Lactate Threshold thread is one of the greatest things ever written on 400m training- if you purchase the Lactate Threshold Ebook, it is nicely edited into an easy to read .pdf ebook file that makes it a pleasure to read.

I did a 3 day a week version of KitKat's program two seasons ago and broke my indoor PB by half a second. I am a masters guy- by no means elite! ESTI guided me by cutting out some of the workouts out but kept to the spirit of the program. You can find my journal from that indoor season in the "My Training Journal" section of the site.
    Last edited by T-Slow; 09-16-2013 at 12:32 PM.

With 12.2 and 51.1 PBs, I think you should work at developing your top speed.

Quote Originally Posted by volle View Post
    pb: 100:12.2
    200:24.2
    400:51.1
    800m: 1.59
    with a 51.1 - your 800m time is pretty sad. It really should be closer to low 1.50-1.52

Based on your 24.2 - your 400m of 51.1 is about as good as it's going to get.

Your 24,2 based on your 100m of 12.2 is about as fast as it's going to get.

To get a faster 400m - you'll need to work on your basic speed.
    To get a faster 800m - you'll need to work on your basic endurance

400m goal ATM - get them 100 and 200m times Down - I would probably devote an entire season to getting them both down, your 200m by at least 1sec. Once you're faster, then work on the 400 and with a 23sec 200m, you have a solid chance of breaking 50sec.

Agree with everyone else.

The basic program I use, is my version of KK's, it needs modification sometimes but depends on the athlete. The important sessions are after rest days.

Day 1 - Speed
    Day 2 - Endurance (generally extensive tempo)
    Day 3 - Off
    Day 4 - Specific Speed
    Day 5 - easy Endurance (easier than the Day 2)
    Day 6 - Hills (work up to Overtime)
    Day 7 - Off

For instance in winter I will use Day 1 for speed and specific speed, as it is difficult for my athletes and myself to get together 3 times a week (most are Uni students)
    Continuing to learn is one thing in life that has to continue.