Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 82

Thread: 400m training

  1. #51

    Re: 400m training

    There are excellent weekly training samples in the Lactate Threshold thread by KK! There are other threads on 400-m training, of course, but this is the one to start with. Also, it might be better to start a training journal, so we have full training information about you.
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit" Aristotle

  2. #52

    Re: 400m training

    Quote Originally Posted by T-Slow View Post
    If you do the homework you will be able to put together a nice plan. KitKat's stuff works! Let us know what you come up for GPP and we can help. Hopefully Google Translate can be helpful as well!

    Ok this is Kitkats GPP program and I think I need to adjust it a bit maybe.


    Day Session(s)
    1. 2-3 x 4x150m
    2. Long Hills + Weights
    3. Rest (or 1hr Gymnastics)
    4. 5x200 + Weights
    5. Long Hills
    6. Jog (15-30mins) + Weights
    7. Rest


    Wk2
    1. Sprints ladder 350, 300, 250, 200, 150, 100, 60, 50, 40, 30 - slow walkback recoveries.
    2. Jog 15-30min + Weights
    3. Rest (or 1hr Gymnastics)
    4. 2 (300+150) + Weights
    5. 5 x 200
    6. 2x5x100 tempo runthroughs, walkback + Weights
    7. Rest

    Wk3
    1. Long Hills
    2. 3x3x300m + Weights (Upperbody only)
    3. Rest (or 1hr Gymnastics)
    4 Rest (or Warm-up, warm-down) +NO WTS.
    5. Track fast, relaxed 300+4x60, 250+3x60, 200+2x60, & 150+1x60.
    6. Jog 15-20mins + Weights (Whole body)
    7. Rest

    Wk 4 (Repeats for Wk5):
    1. 300+60,50,40,30; 200+60,50,40,30; 150+60,50,40,30 (30sec rest between long rep and first short rep)
    2. Field Circuit (about 6mins) + NO WEIGHTS
    3. Rest (or 1hrs Gymnastics)
    4. 300+150, 150+150, 100+80, 80+60, 60+60 (all 30sec b/reps; full rec between sets) + Weights.

    5. Jog 15-20min
    6. 3-6 (2x60m Skip, 2x80m Sprint Buildups, 2x80m Sled Pull or Equivalent Light Resistance)
    7. Rest

    Wk 6
    Rest & Test Wk
    1. Rest
    2. Warm-up, Warm-Down
    3. Trials 300m (stand start), and 150m. + Weights (Lowest Reps Possible).
    4. Rest
    5. Trials 80m and 200m + Weights (As Normal, all exercises, for volume at 80-85% of 1rmax)
    6. Rest
    7. Rest

    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My setup

    1:7x60m.
    2:30e
    3:6x200m. 2 min rest. ca 26-27 speed
    4:Rest
    5:8x80m.
    6:30e
    7:5x600m

    1:30e
    2:7x100
    3:30e
    4:3x3x300m
    5:Rest
    6:7x60m.
    7:30e

    1:4x50 sec hills
    2:30e
    3:8x80m
    4:30e
    5:350, 300, 250, 200, 150, 100, 60, 50, 40, 30. slow walkback recoveries. rolling start
    6:Rest
    7:8x80m hillsprints

    1:30e
    2:7x100m
    3:30e
    4:Track fast, relaxed 300+4x60, 250+3x60, 200+2x60, & 150+1x60.
    5:Rest
    6:8x60m
    7:30e

    1:6x200m
    2:30e
    3:8x80m
    4:30e
    5:300+60,50,40,30; 200+60,50,40,30; 150+60,50,40,30 (30sec rest between long rep and first short rep)
    6:Rest
    7:Rest

    Rest and Test week

    1:30e
    2:300m test+150m test
    3:30e
    4:30e
    5:80m test+200m test.
    6:30e
    7:Rest


    Too much short speed?
    Too much slow jogging?

  3. #53

    Re: 400m training

    Quote Originally Posted by volle View Post
    Actually everything, but my season is like 8 months of base training and then there is 4 months of competition. So very long base training time and time to prepare. only 1 peak.
    You don't really need 12 months,You should have at least 2 weeks to a 1month before you start training for a new season. Some take even longer. Either way I would not start using KK's GPP right off the bat. We have incorporated a lot of KK's training into our program. We use roughly 45 weeks for our season. I don't start using any of his stuff until after we do about8-10 weeks of what I call pre GPP or summer training. We build strength in the weight room 3 days per wk 2 days per wk are Accell work Nothing to stressful. Just keep in touch with your speed qualities. 2 days a week of grass/ trail running and maybe 1 day of easy tempo running.No more than 5 days a week of running some weeks only 4days of running. (it's a long year) Later in the summer some runs may look like easy workouts for example 4x800@ 2:40 rest 4min. on grass. Nothing stressful. Come fall the team is ready for some of KK's or other real 400 work.

  4. #54

    Re: 400m training

    I agree with tedgreen -something like that will help you and give you a better idea of where you are at in terms of such (tougher) sessions.

    What's 30e? Why 1 day of rest per week? KK works on a 3+1+2+1 weekly pattern. I also see too much volume in some of the sessions (e.g., the split ones).

    Sorry if I missed it, but have you provided any information about you?
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit" Aristotle

  5. #55

    Re: 400m training

    Quote Originally Posted by Nikoluski View Post
    I agree with tedgreen -something like that will help you and give you a better idea of where you are at in terms of such (tougher) sessions.

    What's 30e? Why 1 day of rest per week? KK works on a 3+1+2+1 weekly pattern. I also see too much volume in some of the sessions (e.g., the split ones).

    Sorry if I missed it, but have you provided any information about you?
    30e is 30 minutes easy jog.
    You mean I should have 2 rest days per week?
    Which sessions are the split ones?

    Stats:
    age: 30
    Running for 13 years.
    pb:
    100:12.2
    200:24.2
    400:51.1
    800:1.59

  6. #56

    Re: 400m training

    Quote Originally Posted by Nikoluski View Post
    I agree with tedgreen -something like that will help you and give you a better idea of where you are at in terms of such (tougher) sessions.

    What's 30e? Why 1 day of rest per week? KK works on a 3+1+2+1 weekly pattern. I also see too much volume in some of the sessions (e.g., the split ones).

    Sorry if I missed it, but have you provided any information about you?

    What about this as a general setup during GPP?

    Day 1 - 5x60m @ 90-95%
    Day 2 - 3x3x300m at 75%. (extenesive tempo. not faster than 51-52 sec
    Day 3 - Off
    Day 4 - 5x200m/Kitkats cut downs intervals.
    Day 5 - 30 easy
    Day 6 - 4x50 sec hills/longer intervall stuff on indoor 400mtrack like 5x600ms 4 min rec.
    Day 7 - Off

  7. #57

    Re: 400m training

    Quote Originally Posted by tedgreen View Post
    You don't really need 12 months,You should have at least 2 weeks to a 1month before you start training for a new season. Some take even longer. Either way I would not start using KK's GPP right off the bat. We have incorporated a lot of KK's training into our program. We use roughly 45 weeks for our season. I don't start using any of his stuff until after we do about8-10 weeks of what I call pre GPP or summer training. We build strength in the weight room 3 days per wk 2 days per wk are Accell work Nothing to stressful. Just keep in touch with your speed qualities. 2 days a week of grass/ trail running and maybe 1 day of easy tempo running.No more than 5 days a week of running some weeks only 4days of running. (it's a long year) Later in the summer some runs may look like easy workouts for example 4x800@ 2:40 rest 4min. on grass. Nothing stressful. Come fall the team is ready for some of KK's or other real 400 work.
    yes I know. I have 6 weeks of rest/alternative training and then I gruadually progress into the harder training.
    Sorry but I cant really see the need of acceleration work for a 400m runner. The acceleration phase in the 400m is not as important as the top speed of the athlete. I also believe that hard acceleration is hard on the body in terms of getting a injury. Kitkat always use rolling starts on his cutdowns intervals.

  8. #58

    Re: 400m training

    KK plan is perfect to work with.
    try the gpp for starters, maybe cut the volume with 30-50% to start with.

    I have used this plan with success running pbs @ the age of 32 in 100/200/400/400h
    But start with some lower volume is the best advice I can give. e.g 5x150 instead of 5x200, or 2x3x150 instead of 3x4x150.
    when you get stronger you'll be able to work the volumes as proposed in the gpp by kk.

    if threshold topic is too big for you try this outline
    http://www.charliefrancis.com/commun...t-Thanks-to-KK
    Last edited by pindaman; 09-24-2013 at 04:27 PM. Reason: typo

  9. #59

    Re: 400m training

    Quote Originally Posted by pindaman View Post
    KK plan is perfect to work with.
    try the gpp for starters, maybe cut the volume with 30-50% to start with.

    I have used this plan with success running pbs @ the age of 32 in 100/200/400/400h
    But start with some lower volume is the best advice I can give. e.g 5x150 instead of 5x200, or 2x3x150 instead of 3x4x150.
    when you get stronger you'll be able to work the volumes as proposed in the gpp by kk.

    if threshold topic is too big for you try this outline
    http://www.charliefrancis.com/commun...t-Thanks-to-KK
    So basically you follow his setup with 2 "hard days" 1 rest and then 3 "hard days" 1 day rest? But with lower volume on the hard days?
    What about top end speed development?
    It still works without training acceleration and 60meters?
    Since you improved your 100/200 and 400m I guess top end speed is developed even without "pure speed" training!?

  10. #60
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,591

    Re: 400m training

    Quote Originally Posted by volle View Post
    So basically you follow his setup with 2 "hard days" 1 rest and then 3 "hard days" 1 day rest? But with lower volume on the hard days?
    What about top end speed development?
    It still works without training acceleration and 60meters?
    Since you improved your 100/200 and 400m I guess top end speed is developed even without "pure speed" training!?
    Volle,

    Your first day's session is a full out speed session. That session would take nearly 12 weeks of GPP and SPP to work up to in a short to long session.

    Please look at the last few pages of lactate threshold in which I wrote 8 pages of details, as well as my training journal found here. You are trying to re-invent the wheel. http://www.charliefrancis.com/commun...pionship-Quest

    If you find yourself not able to finish a workout, make note of it, and adjust for the next time. I came to my progressions based on doing just that while keeping intact everything I could. One that thing that I have been great at is staying as close to the successful progressions as possible (KK, CF and even PJ).

    Understand the purpose of each session in the progression, and you will better understand which ones to do and not do.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •