Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Need some help with GPP.

Re: Need some help with GPP.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilG View Post
    Hi kwave, there are quite a few posts about using sleds on the forum, but as a rule of thumb no slower than 10% of your unresisted 30m time is a good guide. I use car tyres rather than sleds, 3-4kg for women, 5-7kg for men, if done on grass you won't need much weight. Regarding your shins, if your hill is not too steep and is a good grass surface you will hopefully be ok, just build up gradually. Don't make the mistake I did by applying too much volume to the speed and 60m specific endurance sessions. Keep the volume at the most 50% of what is prescribed in the Short to Long programme that CF produced. Us mere mortals do not have access to regeneration techniques (daily massage etc) that CF's elite athlete's had.
    Hello. Would you say for speed endurance, daily volume of highest volume day should be around maybe 500 instead of 960 and keep everything else under 500? I do see that with the numbers I suggested, the changes in number of volume tend to be a bit drastic, as I'm not very good at math.

Thank you for your reply.
    B.S. in Exercise Science
    NSCA-CSCS, NSCA-CPT.
    USATF LV 1.

Hi, yes I would say so, my athletes tend to do 2x4x60m, we did try 3 sets at one stage, but they were trashed afterwards and struggled 48 - 72 hours later so not worth the extra set. I have used 3x3x60m to introduce a bit more quality to the reps and that worked due to an extra set recovery. Speed sessions I tend to keep them between 360 and 500m depending upon the focus. My athletes are in the 11.0 -12.0 bracket at the moment (that's the guys).

You should be able to handle similar SE volume esp if you make the adjustments to the intensity limits. EX: Week 1 - 2x30 standing+3x4x60 (10m). I prefer to keep the SE volume similar to the graphs and cut down the speed volume - SE work is not as stressful on the body.

Quote Originally Posted by kwave View Post
    Hello. Would you say for speed endurance, daily volume of highest volume day should be around maybe 500 instead of 960 and keep everything else under 500? I do see that with the numbers I suggested, the changes in number of volume tend to be a bit drastic, as I'm not very good at math.

Thank you for your reply.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilG View Post
    Hi, yes I would say so, my athletes tend to do 2x4x60m, we did try 3 sets at one stage, but they were trashed afterwards and struggled 48 - 72 hours later so not worth the extra set. I have used 3x3x60m to introduce a bit more quality to the reps and that worked due to an extra set recovery. Speed sessions I tend to keep them between 360 and 500m depending upon the focus. My athletes are in the 11.0 -12.0 bracket at the moment (that's the guys).
    Thank you for your inputs on volume adjustment.
    B.S. in Exercise Science
    NSCA-CSCS, NSCA-CPT.
    USATF LV 1.

Quote Originally Posted by RB34 View Post
    You should be able to handle similar SE volume esp if you make the adjustments to the intensity limits. EX: Week 1 - 2x30 standing+3x4x60 (10m). I prefer to keep the SE volume similar to the graphs and cut down the speed volume - SE work is not as stressful on the body.
    So you're saying the volume I originally suggested should be doable if intensity is low? (10m) means acclerate 10m and hold speed, right? When you say SE volume similar to the graph, are you referring to Inside the SPP example or GPP essentials?

Thank you.
    B.S. in Exercise Science
    NSCA-CSCS, NSCA-CPT.
    USATF LV 1.

Spp. I'm not saying anything nor can anyone else tell you how much volume you should do - give it a try and adjust if you can't handle it. Intensity will always rule over volume - 900m of speed work at 90% is different from 900m of speed work at 95-100% etc.

So you're saying the volume I originally suggested should be doable if intensity is low? (10m) means acclerate 10m and hold speed, right? When you say SE volume similar to the graph, are you referring to Inside the SPP example or GPP essentials?

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by RB34 View Post
    Spp. I'm not saying anything nor can anyone else tell you how much volume you should do - give it a try and adjust if you can't handle it. Intensity will always rule over volume - 900m of speed work at 90% is different from 900m of speed work at 95-100% etc.
    Thank you for your clarification.
    B.S. in Exercise Science
    NSCA-CSCS, NSCA-CPT.
    USATF LV 1.

BOL, keep us posted.

Thank you for your clarification.

Most people can handle 400m speed work twice per week and 2000m of tempo twice per week. Various age groups can handle this. More than these rough volumes and it becomes very individual in my observation. The speed endurance portion is more variable as RB noted, but more than 600m total is rare. It also depends on program. I wouldn't do more than two hi days in spp.

Quote Originally Posted by lr1400 View Post
    Most people can handle 400m speed work twice per week and 2000m of tempo twice per week. Various age groups can handle this. More than these rough volumes and it becomes very individual in my observation. The speed endurance portion is more variable as RB noted, but more than 600m total is rare. It also depends on program. I wouldn't do more than two hi days in spp.
    Thank you for your input on deciding volume. Looks like it really is tough without full therapy to train at volume near what Coach Francis recommended....I just thought before that it shouldn't make much difference because most of his athletes train at such a high intensity, that every meter they run would do more CNS fatigue than someone like me, but I guess they can tolerate both higher intensity and volume.
    Last edited by kwave; 08-13-2013 at 11:10 AM.
    B.S. in Exercise Science
    NSCA-CSCS, NSCA-CPT.
    USATF LV 1.