Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Strength Training For Speed/Power Athletes

  1. #1

    Strength Training For Speed/Power Athletes

    Any ideas how to setup for older athletes.

  2. #2
    Member RB34's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    5,690

    Re: Strength Training For Speed/Power Athletes

    I have all of Charlie products and understand his philosophy on strength training for speed/power athletes. We all understand the traditional strength training setups - higher reps/lower intensity-3-1-3 max strength blocks etc.

    For some time now I have eliminated all traditional max strength work from my athletes programs. I'm noticing better muscle quality, mobility, improved workouts on the track/field. Strength levels improved - I'm sure they would have been better with lower reps/higher weights. We spent more of our time in the 8-10 zone with sometime in the 6 zone but never below. Athletes in the 28-35yr old bracket are having great results.

    Maybe you should give it a try.

    Thoughts

  3. #3

    Re: Strength Training For Speed/Power Athletes

    Quote Originally Posted by RB34 View Post
    I have all of Charlie products and understand his philosophy on strength training for speed/power athletes. We all understand the traditional strength training setups - higher reps/lower intensity-3-1-3 max strength blocks etc.

    For some time now I have eliminated all traditional max strength work from my athletes programs. I'm noticing better muscle quality, mobility, improved workouts on the track/field. Strength levels improved - I'm sure they would have been better with lower reps/higher weights. We spent more of our time in the 8-10 zone with sometime in the 6 zone but never below. Athletes in the 28-35yr old bracket are having great results.

    Maybe you should give it a try.

    Thoughts
    RB, what type of total volumes for bench and squat and how close to failure are you going?

  4. #4
    Member RB34's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    5,690

    Re: Strength Training For Speed/Power Athletes

    Everything is stupid simple. For example - if we are doing 10's the sets may be 2-3 depending how the outdoor work and other variables are doing. The intensity is also open - if we are doing 10 reps they are allowed to go 2 over - if they get 12 on the last set we increase 5-10lbs next workout. The depth on the squats also ranges from high to low depending on the athletes mobility etc - we are not set on getting deep. Hope this makes sense.

    Quote Originally Posted by lr1400 View Post
    RB, what type of total volumes for bench and squat and how close to failure are you going?

  5. #5

    Re: Strength Training For Speed/Power Athletes

    RB- Are you doing any Olympic lifts or dynamic lifts with that group?

  6. #6

    Re: Strength Training For Speed/Power Athletes

    What sort of times are these guys doing, and at what ages??

  7. #7
    Member RB34's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    5,690

    Re: Strength Training For Speed/Power Athletes

    Dynamic lifts: As in speed squats/speed bench - No. Dynamic lifts: As in jump squats, split jumps, jumps on the bear - Yes.

    Olympic lifts: Not really, I prefer snatch/clean pulls much easier on the body esp when training combat athletes (football etc).

    Quote Originally Posted by Stikki View Post
    RB- Are you doing any Olympic lifts or dynamic lifts with that group?

  8. #8
    Member RB34's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    5,690

    Re: Strength Training For Speed/Power Athletes

    I'll share one athlete test results:

    Pos: WR
    TLJ:10.51m
    SLJ: 3.33m
    VJ:42in
    30m/40y: 3.76/4.39 (combine style)
    OH shot:17.19m

    No strength training testing.

    Big boys.

    Quote Originally Posted by hornblower View Post
    What sort of times are these guys doing, and at what ages??

  9. #9

    Re: Strength Training For Speed/Power Athletes

    Solid attributes How is he with weights ? Is there a direct correlation

  10. #10

    Re: Strength Training For Speed/Power Athletes

    Quote Originally Posted by RB34 View Post
    I'll share one athlete test results:

    Pos: WR
    TLJ:10.51m
    SLJ: 3.33m
    VJ:42in
    30m/40y: 3.76/4.39 (combine style)
    OH shot:17.19m

    No strength training testing.

    Big boys.
    How old? Those don't look like numbers for an 'older athlete'.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •