Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: acid / base balance

acid / base balance

I've been working on the idea of basing my hard or easy workloads on my acid / base balance.

Easily tested with litmus paper. Place a bit of spit on finger n dip n test.
    Ideal is 7.4, so slightly base.

If Ph is under 7, I'll only do an aerobic workload, and be super careful not to enter the La+ zone. This means no weights too.

Under 6.4 and I'll take one teaspoon of bicarb before aerobic workout. This helps convert the acids into a reaction that allows you blow out through the lungs, more carbon dioxide, which removes the acids asap.

If Ph is 7 or higher, a harder workout is planned, and weights can be done.

Minerals are helping big time in stabilizing the Ph.
    Magnesium
    Liquid minerals (colloidal or sea minerals)

A fairly natural diet helps too, meat n fruit n veggie.

So far, seems to be working nicely.

Re: acid / base balance

Sorry, but it's quakery... the ph of your saliva or urine has nothing to do with your blood ph... I have read about this in the past. your blood ph is VERY stable and steady, if not, you have something seriously wrong...

I didnt say it did.

Bold, I'm interested in this concept. I understand Rich121's skepticism also, as I have a family member who is a huge fan of drinking elevated PH water (like he has a dispenser that elevates the PH to anywhere from 7 to 11) and he is rather fanatical about it. I don't truly understand the underlying theory, but am interested in exploring it further. Can you recommend any further reading on the subject?

What interests me is the idea that if your blood PH is even slightly off, the body may rebalance by leeching minerals from elsewhere in the body. Though this may not show up on a blood PH test as Rich stated, I am interested in investigating. My athlete has repeatedly been advised to take a magnesium supplement to combat tightness issues, and I wonder if this is somehow all related.

Quote Originally Posted by boldwarrior View Post
    I didnt say it did.
    I came to that conclusion because there are those who purport acid/base balance of the blood through the testing of saliva and urine, which is basicly a scam to sell or promote something.

I am also curious about what you are doing and the processes in the body that would make difference in your workouts?

How different do you feel, perform, etc. when following such a plan?

Quote Originally Posted by T-Slow View Post
    Bold, I'm interested in this concept. I understand Rich121's skepticism also, as I have a family member who is a huge fan of drinking elevated PH water (like he has a dispenser that elevates the PH to anywhere from 7 to 11) and he is rather fanatical about it. I don't truly understand the underlying theory, but am interested in exploring it further. Can you recommend any further reading on the subject?

What interests me is the idea that if your blood PH is even slightly off, the body may rebalance by leeching minerals from elsewhere in the body. Though this may not show up on a blood PH test as Rich stated, I am interested in investigating. My athlete has repeatedly been advised to take a magnesium supplement to combat tightness issues, and I wonder if this is somehow all related.

Here is a good article:
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/37...lkaline-water/

and another

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...interview.aspx

It can be hard getting a point across in forum mode, articles or books or face to face are always easier...

Blood is always very stable, unless you're nearly dead...

Urine testing, really all you're testing here is how much acid you're removing from the body.

Saliva, is more systematic, eg, plasma, lymph fluids etc. The human body is, or should be close to 70-80 percent water, and blood is only a small section of that.

No, naturally, this, saliva, is only checking a section of how the body is holding up. (against acids) , it's just a tool, and it's up to your interpreted meaning if you find benefit.

I test most of my clients. Some more often than others.
    With my client base, I have noticed this,
    100% with neutral or slightly base saliva improve physically on a regular basis a Lot faster than those between 6 and 6.8.
    Those under 6, rarely improve.

I see time and again, those who used to be under 6, who finally become neutral for most of time, their physical improvements skyrocket.

There are tons of medical articles out there, on how certain enzymes only perform in a narrow window.
    Some need acid (like your stomach to digest meats)
    All of these articles talked about medical issues (that I've so far found)

So, I thought, if Ph is that vital, how will it effect training? So far, I can't find any articles on Ph and training,.
    (I'm sure there probably is?)

My theory, is if medical people view Ph of certain functions is vital, naturapaths talk of Ph and health, then surely Ph and faster training and recovery from workouts is naturally on the cards.

So far, all observational data confirms this.
    If the state or federal gov gives me a grant, I'll do proper double blind scientific studies (just don't hold your breath.....)

If stuff works, I'll run with it, if it turns out it's coincidental to something else, and is bogus, I'll drop it.

One client, training for yrs
    Never improving like he should. In fact, hardly at all.
    Over the last 2 months, I've increased his top speed by at least 5km/hr (he was super slow) and he can now finish 1hr sessions all at good effort, instead of only 20min.
    The only difference,
    Measuring Ph, started at 5.5 or below 2 months ago
    We got him onto magnesium minerals
    We got him into bicarb before sessions (only 1 tablespoon done 1x week)
    And lots of cupping.
    The cupping always pulls out Lots of toxins in him. Not always the same spot, but always from somewhere and it's always a lot (compared to others)
    His Ph is now 7.

Hi Bold,

My athlete went to see Dr. Scappaticci for some acupuncture and ART treatment this week, and he was adamant about a particular magnesium-calcium formulation. I know where it's sold, and as soon as I purchase it I'll let you know the brand. Scap and the other chiropractors that work in the same office are very particular about the brand / formulation. I'll ask more questions the next time we head down there, but the parallels between what you are doing and what was recommended to us are interesting.

Interesting... I misunderstood your post and should have asked questions before assuming what you were talking about.

Keep the posts up, as I'm also quite interested and may try this too.

This article, got me thinking about the Acid/base balance.

Many other articles i have found, esp medical articles - all talk about how the system (not the blood) becomes acidic during disease.

No full article will ever give you everything you need to know about a subject. More just a glimpse