Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Sprinter's Symptoms and Solutions

Re: Sprinter's Symptoms and Solutions

Sorry to hear that about your sprinter. Didn't Ange have a blog post dealing with recovery from a pulled hamstring?

It's OK, these things happen! There is lots of great info, we've just taken two days of complete rest so far. Hopefully we'll get it looked at tomorrow.

I didn't mean anything about purchasing product, etc. Just that people are constantly pushed and prodded to take a little bit from philosophy A and a little bit from philosophy B and then hope to come up with a winning formula. Within the context of elite level performance though, things that work on a developmental level don't in fact work at all at the elite level. Until people have an understanding of the "what and why" of this, there is no point in taking free information from six different sources and trying to mix it into a winning formula.
    Last edited by T-Slow; 11-26-2012 at 12:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by T-Slow View Post
    It's OK, these things happen! There is lots of great info, we've just taken two days of complete rest so far. Hopefully we'll get it looked at tomorrow.

I didn't mean anything about purchasing product, etc. Just that people are constantly pushed and prodded to take a little bit from philosophy A and a little bit from philosophy B and then hope to come up with a winning formula. Within the context of elite level performance though, things that work on a developmental level don't in fact work at all at the elite level. Until people have an understanding of the "what and why" of this, there is no point in taking free information from six different sources and trying to mix it into a winning formula.
    Good luck with your athlete. I hope everything heals quickly for him. I will leave coaching, especially elite level coaching, to people who are much brighter than I am.

People I posted the info for discussion not a flame war. Everyone on here should damn well know who I follow.
    I clearly see this as information for high school and younger athletes. When has anyone seen an elite or experienced athlete run like the kids on that page?

Some of y'all seem very bitter about what happened to drob. I didn't follow what happened, I remember him getting hurt, but that's it. If he did decided to switch coaches then that was the beginning of the end. Not many coaches can come in and take over and take an athlete to wr times (Charlie with Tim). Shit we saw what happened last season with Dix and John smith. If it ain't broke..........

CLIMBON: you say somewhere Charlie advocated Olympic lifts. That's the point, he advocated weights being general; Ben didn't do any Olympic Lifts, for example. Anyway... We wish a swift recovery to T-Slow's guy!
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit" Aristotle

Quote Originally Posted by Nikoluski View Post
    CLIMBON: you say somewhere Charlie advocated Olympic lifts. That's the point, he advocated weights being general; Ben didn't do any Olympic Lifts, for example. Anyway... We wish a swift recovery to T-Slow's guy!
    The olympic lifts are in several of the videos, so that is what I was going by. My point is that they use some different exercises to achieve the same thing. To me, the weights would still be general, but someone else may define things differently. I don't think the guys from innosport would classify weights as specific either. I also agree with what T-Slow said about not trying to mix several parts of different systems together. That will only lead to issues. Most systems are set up to follow a natural progression and some of that is lost when you try to combine bits from many different sources.

To go along with what Chris6878 said, these articles point out mistakes in form that are seen with developmental sprinters. You do not see these issues with elite level athletes. They may have experienced some of these issues when they first started, but the issues were addressed and corrected by their coach. This is just one way to correct some of what is seen. Is it the only way? No.

Including the Olympic lifts in GPP appears to have been an after thought and IMO is mis leading to the overall ideas Charlie discusses extensively in many products. I still feel there is value in keeping the lifts in this video but I considered editing it out and putting into another small download labeled OL.
    The Olympic lifts at the end of GPP were included to demonstrate what proper OL are to look like.
    OL is not meant to be a primary stimulus for sprinters. Weights for sprinters are meant to be secondary to the primary stimulus which is the sprinting itself.
    A full discussion regarding this topic is outlined in Weights for Speed Bundle which goes on sale this week for more than 40 percent off.
    Last edited by Angela Coon; 11-26-2012 at 04:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikoluski View Post
    Thanks for making this point Nikoluski.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iZg_e4veWk
    this video is by the same group/associates of the korfist dude...some of the stuff i hear them saying regarding foot pathologies actually makes sense in my mind, as it regards sprinting...for instance I never realized that all this time i'd been doing athletic activities on sore toes(each of my great/big toe joints)...The exercise or range of motion exhibited in the above video, helped me realize that my big toes had been gradually abducting under and towards the 2nd toes(hallux abductovalgus)...the hallux abductovalgus is no doubt caused by cramping my toes in hockey skates 6 months out of the year, 2-4x a week, every year since the age of 10...

....in addition to sore toes, I had also been experiencing mild niggles on the ankles and top of feet...now through more research, I now realize I have fairly flexible flat feet, which is related to ankle rocker...in that as I progress past 90 degree of ankle rocker, when walking my arch tends to drop and flatten...I've since began to feather in arch and toe exercises to rule out talus bone dislocation, which is believed to be the cause of numerous/various foot pathologies: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bgBKhkS_N0