Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 2nd Year College Javelin

Re: 2nd Year College Javelin

1/1

Happy New Year!

Starting to get a little ancy, I think I'm freshened up and ready to go back full steam training. I will start tomorrow with the full workouts, and hopefully that means I'll get over the soreness stage for next week and then back at school I'll be moving full steam

Will be doing throwing drills and conditioning twice a week and lifting and doing abs twice a week. I will be stretching and icing every day, also. I might do some turbo jav throwing as well. will do a weigh in tomorrow

shoulder's feeling better, still some twinges if I push the ROM too far, but with stretching and taking care of it, I think it'll be alright as there is no pain so long as I am careful with throwing

1/8/13

decided I'll just weigh in when I get back to school. getting much more comfortable with the jav mechanics, can't wait to start doing some more spear throws. shoulder mobility has greatly increased, but still not quite where I need it to be as I will still experience pain if I throw hard as I cannot reach that ROM yet (I am not tensing up, my arm is like a whip getting power from my hips and core, just when I throw too hard, I am not strong enough in the contorted position that one hits while throwing so it'll hurt). back training full steam, first lift session felt GREAT, but also got some mega doms the next day.

have been diagnosed with a sleeping disorder so i have been prescribed some stimulant type medications and am beginning treatment. it's unfortunate that I do not sleep properly, because I am sure this effects my recovery, but at least with some treatment, I will not need to battle excessive fatigue without some help. i cannot remember the last time that i wasn't on the verge of sleep, and I get more than 8 hours of bed time every night

1/27

weigh in -148 lbs

notes:
    -whip action improving. realized i was tightening my core too, arm motion is easier when i get my power from the ground up. jav flight is improving
    -calorie intake has lessened, yet soreness and weight gain still better than ever. perhaps treatment for whatever fatigue disorder i have going on is aiding in my training too. people are noticing upper body weight gain and fat increase seems to appear minimal

2/1/2013

notes:
    -just continuing work on gaining muscle mass and flexibility

2/13/2013

notes:
    -been taking the last week and probably this upcoming week very light. I plan to take my usual end of season 3 week break now, and when I return to training I probably will just do bodybuilding work and some yoga for flexibility until it becomes more suitable for outdoor training. then I will start to add in some throwing, fitness and speedwork back in, take like a week off before the team program starts again, then will hop right back into full training.
    -mechanics are getting much improved. I feel that I am finally able to throw from the ground up, and the difference that is apparent in my javelin standing throws flight and medball work velocity is huge. I really feel like if I can just get enough mass that I am not at too big a disadvantage concerning weight, strength and leverage, that I could be very competitive i the ivy league for javelin. I rarely meet anybody that has a more explosive arm than I do and i'm pretty fast compared to other jav throwers so I'm very confident I will be able to be successful in my new event. my coach will definitely think its funny if I can contribute points at the heptagonal championships in the jav after letting me on the team as a very mediocre sprinter

3/8/2013

notes:
    -back home for the semester. won't be competing for the ncaa until spring 2014. will retain eligibility and re-enter track as a sophomore. plan on concentrating purely on adding mass and increasing flexibility possibly until summer, but i may start doing some throwing of the javelin in spring if the weather is nice and i decide to stay at home for the summer.
    -at 5'7" tall, i would like to get up to 165 lbs. any thicker than that and I think ROM will be hampered, but I think the strength I would have at that size, so long as I have excellent flexibility, will help make up for my shorter levers. i plan to compete with my 6 ft plus counter parts by being faster, stronger and more flexible.
    -I plan to not really do any conditioning so that I can have a higher calorie surplus and lift bodybuilding style at least until I'm carrying the mass I want. I will also do tons of mobility work. i plan to lift four days a week with a 2/2 upper/lower split and commit the other two days to yoga (one day off). I will incorporate unloading more seriously than i have in the past as i've realized my strength plateaus are what seem to inhibit my muscle growth and unloading every once or twice a month prevents this. i will start a new journal once i have training to document. i am currently receiving treatment for hypersomnia, but my doctors all said the more exercise the better for me, so i will continu t train hard (but not overtrain) even though I'm not really healthy enough to currently be a student or compete or stick to a division 1 training regiment.
    -feeling much more comfortable making my body do the "whip" motion that really gets some arm velocity going.