Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Modifying KK's program for 100m

Modifying KK's program for 100m

Hey guys

I have read through the threads regarding KK's program for the 400m. There were some posts of people modifying the program to focus on 100m vs. 400m. If you were going to modify that program to focus on 100m, what modifications would you make? It seems like that program would work well for general fitness/conditioning especially during GPP as well as helping speed endurance. What are other recommendations for increasing general fitness/conditioning and speed endurance.

Re: Modifying KK's program for 100m

ESTI would be a good person to talk to about this.

I know he used a combination of KitKat's GPP along with Charlie's short to long program with some of his high school kids to good effect. I can tell you from experience that when you test the 60, 150, and 300 at the end of the first six week block, don't expect much change in the 60 time, the 150 will improve a bit, but the 300 will drop considerably. I find it also teaches people how to run relaxed, so the first six week block could be done more or less as is as a general conditioning block, with some modifications in the second GPP block adding in an acceleration day out to 60m and taking out some of the lactic work depending on athlete age and experience levels.

Alternatively, you may wish to put in an acceleration / max velocity in day once per week right from the first block- I think that's what ESTI did. As long as you understand that KitKat's GPP is very 400m oriented and doesn't contain any true speed work, you will know that you have to add some alactic speed in to benefit the 100m athlete.

P.S. The Lactate Threshold ebook is an amazing read, and even if you don't plan to run the 400 it's highly recommended. It's much easier to read than the thread. I downloaded it to my tablet and read it a dozen times. It is packed with info!
    Last edited by T-Slow; 09-09-2012 at 07:38 PM.

Speaking of modifying and I hope this isn't considered hijacking the thread but I am in my GPP phase and due to an healing achilles tendon, haven't been running or doing any hill sprints. I have been utilizing bike sprints instead. Any others who have used these will success? I did read that Dan Pfaff used them when one of his sprinters was injured and couldn't run. I have the lactate threshold ebook so will read through that.

For shorter speed why work with kk's 400 plan? It's perfect for what that plan tries to acclomplish.. a good 400.
    I did however incorporate more of charlies speed work in the plan because of some physical problems. I got me in the low 11 @ 35.

But if you want the 100, trie working from de charlie francis GPP plan. It perfect to work with. Just modify the volume to what you can handle. (strart with about 50%-60% to keep you out of the injury zone)

Quote Originally Posted by pindaman View Post
    For shorter speed why work with kk's 400 plan? It's perfect for what that plan tries to acclomplish.. a good 400.
    I did however incorporate more of charlies speed work in the plan because of some physical problems. I got me in the low 11 @ 35.

But if you want the 100, trie working from de charlie francis GPP plan. It perfect to work with. Just modify the volume to what you can handle. (strart with about 50%-60% to keep you out of the injury zone)
    The reason for looking to modify the program some is because it addresses weaknesses directly and in the previous thread, short sprinters mentioned improvements in 100m time by following the program. I think the program will help with my speed endurance and improve my times.

The reason I like it is I am tall and lean and can't handle the CF short to long GPP and SPP. I found it made a big difference in my 300m time, and also helped my 200. My 60 did not improve and it took me more 60m races to get near PB shape, but this is normal for any Long to Short or 400m based program.

I think for the first six weeks, the KitKat GPP can work very well for short sprinters if they have a low nervous system tolerance for speed work, or those looking to gain some fitness after a long layoff (e.g. a masters guy). Of course, you MUST transition into some serious alactic speed work after the GPP, and if I were focusing on the 100m I would look to integrate work from Charlie's Short to Long program ASAP- it is brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by TrevorS View Post
    Speaking of modifying and I hope this isn't considered hijacking the thread but I am in my GPP phase and due to an healing achilles tendon, haven't been running or doing any hill sprints. I have been utilizing bike sprints instead. Any others who have used these will success? I did read that Dan Pfaff used them when one of his sprinters was injured and couldn't run. I have the lactate threshold ebook so will read through that.
    Hi Trevor,

I used a bike replacement for the 6x200m workout myself during the winter occasionally, as running the workout indoors on a 200m banked oval gets hard on the left hamstring and right hip. I can find out the exact workout and post it. Do you have Charlie's bike tempo workout? I use it once a week to replace on track tempo work. It is nothing short of a lifesaver- a fantastic resource.

Thanks T-Slow, yes I do have the basement tempo and have utilized it somewhat. Seeing that workout would be great. I have mostly been using the airdyne bike which does utilize arm movement as well and between 12-15 second all out sprints.

I don't think you have to modify the plan too much. following the kk gpp followed by the 5 week transition should be enough for a great 100. my experience after following the hop is very good I have setd my personal best in the 100/200/400. I came from 11.10 to 10.80 @32. so personally I think you shouldn't worry to much and just start with gpp. you could adjust the volume to suit you r needs.

Quote Originally Posted by pindaman View Post
    I don't think you have to modify the plan too much. following the kk gpp followed by the 5 week transition should be enough for a great 100. my experience after following the hop is very good I have setd my personal best in the 100/200/400. I came from 11.10 to 10.80 @32. so personally I think you shouldn't worry to much and just start with gpp. you could adjust the volume to suit you r needs.
    What is the 5 week transition?Have I overlooked that in the other thread? I don't understand what you mean by "after following the hop". What is hop?

Thanks for your input. I am hoping this will help me break the 11sec barrier.