Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: GPP Video Speed Work Missing Chart

Re: GPP Video Speed Work Missing Chart

Quote Originally Posted by RB34 View Post
    I wouldn't change to much - I think 3 speed and 3 tempo may be too much unless you are getting serious therapy... For your age group I think MB and bodyweight movements should do the trick and when they meet certain standards then worry about the weights.
    I will keep that in mind. Which would you recommend I cut between the two, OR are you suggesting I do 2 speed and 2 tempo's in a week instead, and slowly build up? I also think that the MB and the BW would be enough for now as well. This is the first year for most of my athletes except one, and we are getting ready for a comp. only 3 months away.
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by microman View Post
    I will keep that in mind. Which would you recommend I cut between the two, OR are you suggesting I do 2 speed and 2 tempo's in a week instead, and slowly build up? I also think that the MB and the BW would be enough for now as well. This is the first year for most of my athletes except one, and we are getting ready for a comp. only 3 months away.

I probably would have started out by age group:

8-10 years old: 2 speed/1 tempo
    12-15 years old: 2 speed/2 tempo
    14-16 years old: 2 hills/2 tempo/1 mb.

Another thing I may do with very young athletes 8-10 yrs:

Warmup
    Mb/Jumps
    Bw movements
    Tempo

Saving the hill work for the next bracket.

I am doing hillwork only to give my athletes a better chance to master the deep angles and strength required for the start in such a short period of time. Will also be doing the flat starts as per the graph 1 and 2 after the 4 weeks of hill work to also help out in this area.
    Will think about your suggestion and maybe do it to my younger athletes.

I am doing hillwork only to give my athletes a better chance to master the deep angles and strength required for the start in such a short period of time. Will also be doing the flat starts as per the graph 1 and 2 after the 4 weeks of hill work to also help out in this area.
    Will think about your suggestion and maybe do it to my younger athletes.
    I understand the reason behind hill work - my point is 7-12 years old don't need hill work - too many coaches in this country hate the slow cook process.

7-12yr old:
    Simple MB and Jumps
    Bw movements
    Games
    2-3 times per week is all they need.

No reason for 7-12 yr olds to train 6 times per week - shit I wouldn't even want to spend 6 days per wk training that age bracket...

Understood. I will take your advise to heart. I see the good in what you are saying. Thanks again.

Understood. I will take your advise to heart. I see the good in what you are saying. Thanks again.
    A lot coaches mean good but they are fucking up tons of young athletes - esp the one I saw at the track last week (killing the young kids with 400 repeats - kids were dropping like flys)... If you don't take anything from this thread - plz don't make 7-12 year olds train 6 days per week.....

Okay, I know that I am not wanting to be one them coaches for sure and don't get me wrong, "I fully understand what you're trying to get across" no need to further emphasize it.

Done properly hills are fine. I trained kids 1 day a week and their only speedwork was club 1 day a week. Teach motorskills and use med ball work sparingly with a 1kg ball. They are not little adults.

Quote Originally Posted by sady View Post
    Done properly hills are fine. I trained kids 1 day a week and their only speedwork was club 1 day a week. Teach motorskills and use med ball work sparingly with a 1kg ball. They are not little adults.
    No way I would have a 7yr old doing hill work. If you want motor skill develop teach them basic sprint drills and tumbling exercises......