Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 34

Thread: GPP Video Speed Work Missing Chart

  1. #11

    Re: GPP Video Speed Work Missing Chart

    Quote Originally Posted by RB34 View Post
    I wouldn't change to much - I think 3 speed and 3 tempo may be too much unless you are getting serious therapy... For your age group I think MB and bodyweight movements should do the trick and when they meet certain standards then worry about the weights.
    I will keep that in mind. Which would you recommend I cut between the two, OR are you suggesting I do 2 speed and 2 tempo's in a week instead, and slowly build up? I also think that the MB and the BW would be enough for now as well. This is the first year for most of my athletes except one, and we are getting ready for a comp. only 3 months away.
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

  2. #12
    Member RB34's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    5,090

    Re: GPP Video Speed Work Missing Chart

    Quote Originally Posted by microman View Post
    I will keep that in mind. Which would you recommend I cut between the two, OR are you suggesting I do 2 speed and 2 tempo's in a week instead, and slowly build up? I also think that the MB and the BW would be enough for now as well. This is the first year for most of my athletes except one, and we are getting ready for a comp. only 3 months away.

    I probably would have started out by age group:

    8-10 years old: 2 speed/1 tempo
    12-15 years old: 2 speed/2 tempo
    14-16 years old: 2 hills/2 tempo/1 mb.

  3. #13
    Member RB34's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    5,090

    Re: GPP Video Speed Work Missing Chart

    Another thing I may do with very young athletes 8-10 yrs:

    Warmup
    Mb/Jumps
    Bw movements
    Tempo

    Saving the hill work for the next bracket.

  4. #14

    Re: GPP Video Speed Work Missing Chart

    I am doing hillwork only to give my athletes a better chance to master the deep angles and strength required for the start in such a short period of time. Will also be doing the flat starts as per the graph 1 and 2 after the 4 weeks of hill work to also help out in this area.
    Will think about your suggestion and maybe do it to my younger athletes.
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

  5. #15
    Member RB34's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    5,090

    Re: GPP Video Speed Work Missing Chart

    Quote Originally Posted by microman View Post
    I am doing hillwork only to give my athletes a better chance to master the deep angles and strength required for the start in such a short period of time. Will also be doing the flat starts as per the graph 1 and 2 after the 4 weeks of hill work to also help out in this area.
    Will think about your suggestion and maybe do it to my younger athletes.
    I understand the reason behind hill work - my point is 7-12 years old don't need hill work - too many coaches in this country hate the slow cook process.

    7-12yr old:
    Simple MB and Jumps
    Bw movements
    Games
    2-3 times per week is all they need.


    No reason for 7-12 yr olds to train 6 times per week - shit I wouldn't even want to spend 6 days per wk training that age bracket...

  6. #16

    Re: GPP Video Speed Work Missing Chart

    Understood. I will take your advise to heart. I see the good in what you are saying. Thanks again.
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

  7. #17
    Member RB34's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    5,090

    Re: GPP Video Speed Work Missing Chart

    Quote Originally Posted by microman View Post
    Understood. I will take your advise to heart. I see the good in what you are saying. Thanks again.
    A lot coaches mean good but they are fucking up tons of young athletes - esp the one I saw at the track last week (killing the young kids with 400 repeats - kids were dropping like flys)... If you don't take anything from this thread - plz don't make 7-12 year olds train 6 days per week.....

  8. #18

    Re: GPP Video Speed Work Missing Chart

    Okay, I know that I am not wanting to be one them coaches for sure and don't get me wrong, "I fully understand what you're trying to get across" no need to further emphasize it.
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

  9. #19
    Member sady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    wherever the wind blows
    Posts
    765

    Re: GPP Video Speed Work Missing Chart

    Done properly hills are fine. I trained kids 1 day a week and their only speedwork was club 1 day a week. Teach motorskills and use med ball work sparingly with a 1kg ball. They are not little adults.

  10. #20
    Member RB34's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    5,090

    Re: GPP Video Speed Work Missing Chart

    Quote Originally Posted by sady View Post
    Done properly hills are fine. I trained kids 1 day a week and their only speedwork was club 1 day a week. Teach motorskills and use med ball work sparingly with a 1kg ball. They are not little adults.
    No way I would have a 7yr old doing hill work. If you want motor skill develop teach them basic sprint drills and tumbling exercises......

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •