Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Usain bolt percentages

Usain bolt percentages

I have been looking for the youtube video but can no longer locate it....anyways
    I watched a video about 6 mos ago where Bolt's coach was speaking about his percentages in terms of lifting. You may not need to see the video in order to respond but I am curious if it was strength in relation to potential lifts or body weight. In addition, how is this best determined for athletes? Is it the same for HS as it would be for adults?

Thanks in advance
    -Da Boom

Re: Usain bolt percentages

THIS is what I would pay attention to:

Strength is one of the hallmarks in
    sprinting and therefore it must be developed.
    However, I believe that there are two types of
    strength: the static and the dynamic strength.
    I think athletes tend to depend too much on
    the static strength and that dynamic strength
    is one of the greatest areas of deficiency in
    most runners. They are all bulked up and big
    and powerful from the weight room, but they
    neglect the dynamic strength, that is the
    strength developed in resistance training, plyometrics
    and so on. We find with our sprinters
    that we get far better result when we
    almost have a fifty - fifty split between static
    and dynamic strength training.

--Glen Mills, IAAF New Studies in Athletics 24:1; 29-34, 2009
    My sense is that way too many people on sprint message boards place far too much emphasis on sets of 3 in the gym, and not nearly enough on 300s on the track, which I believe EVERY high level sprinter (I mean Bolt, Powell, Gay, Dix, VCB, Jet, Felix, you name it....) IS doing.

I think I've gotten far better stimulus from doing 30" box jumps (and listening to Charlie in the early part of Edmonton about not pushing too far in terms of risk/reward) than I ever got from squats or DL of any kind.

Thanks for the response and perspective. I would like to first get a response or insight to my initial question however. If you have addressed it then please provide clarity relative to my concerns

Quote Originally Posted by lkh View Post
    THIS is what I would pay attention to:

My sense is that way too many people on sprint message boards place far too much emphasis on sets of 3 in the gym, and not nearly enough on 300s on the track, which I believe EVERY high level sprinter (I mean Bolt, Powell, Gay, Dix, VCB, Jet, Felix, you name it....) IS doing.

I think I've gotten far better stimulus from doing 30" box jumps (and listening to Charlie in the early part of Edmonton about not pushing too far in terms of risk/reward) than I ever got from squats or DL of any kind.
    which makes the video in http://www.charliefrancis.com/commun...ht=#post241598 interesting as Merrit says they lift pre track so he trains fatigued and when he races he feels fresh.

Given that the question is about Bolt, I don't see Merritt as relevant. Here is more about Bolt in the gym that is not exactly a secret:

http://magazine.stack.com/TheIssue/A...sain_bolt.aspx

Bolt himself has said that the weight routine pays advantages as strength endurance.

deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    which makes the video in http://www.charliefrancis.com/commun...ht=#post241598 interesting as Merrit says they lift pre track so he trains fatigued and when he races he feels fresh.
    Following many runners from 100 up through 400H, many athletes lift first before track sessions.

Quote Originally Posted by ESTI View Post
    Following many runners from 100 up through 400H, many athletes lift first before track sessions.
    Is there any advantage to this?

Quote Originally Posted by kbm View Post
    Is there any advantage to this?
    Charlie would say NO, and said so repeatedly. Also, I don't think Mills lifts before track, and I know that Franno and Bob Kersee do not. John Smith does.

The amount of emphasis placed on weights is a different issue from when to lift.

So in the original youtube video, Mills says that the percentages (strength to body-weight I presume) are good and goes on to say how once that improves you will see faster times.
    As you can tell I am still wrestling with the percentages issue...