Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Khmel joins Chelsea FC

Khmel joins Chelsea FC

The former Sydney sprints coach Michael Khmel, who was one of 18 contracted coaches axed by the geniuses at Athletics Athletics after the 2004 Olympics, is now sprints coach for Chelsea FC (soccer team).

Khmel produced at least five guys on the Oz track team for those Athens Olympics, including a bunch of 400m boys who substantially contributed to the silver medal success in the 4x4 (he coached John Steffensen and Clinton Hill that year, as well as Daniel Batman). Khmel may be better known for coaching Matt Shirvington from a schoolboy who could not make the Oz team for the 1996 Sydney world junior championships (which was coached and selected by Khmel) to become Oz 100m record breaker, at 10.03sec age 18, and winner of 5 national 100m titles.

Khmel was Britain's sprints coach for a few years but fell out with Von Comedy and quit (or was sacked, depending on who you listen to).

But Mike is a great guy, a disciple of Dan Pfaff (for better or worse) but a coach who Australia certainly coulod use today. Good luck to him, c'mon Chelsea!

It will be interesting to see if a talented sprint coach will be given the ability to influence the training with such a powerful club?

Quote Originally Posted by kitkat1 View Post
    ... Khmel was Britain's sprints coach for a few years but fell out with Von Comedy and quit (or was sacked, depending on who you listen to). ...
    Any further info on this?

Good point, Angela!

Come on, SPURS!
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit" Aristotle

He was appointed as a performance coach for British Bobsleigh earlier in the year too

He was sacked, he was questioned over his coaching of a few of the stars in his group who kept getting injured.

His group includes, James desoulu, Harry AA, Leon baptiste, Craig Pickering and Joel fearon who he has now converted to the bobsled

Quote Originally Posted by Nikoluski View Post
    Come on, SPURS!
    now 3rd with a game in hand... oh yeah

Quote Originally Posted by a-j View Post
    He was sacked, he was questioned over his coaching of a few of the stars in his group who kept getting injured.

His group includes, James desoulu, Harry AA, Leon baptiste, Craig Pickering and Joel fearon who he has now converted to the bobsled
    Not exactly a list of improving performers is it .............

I think that was part of it tbh

All his athletes did better under thier old coaches

I'd like to know what Shirvo's program was in the few years before he ran that 10.03 at age 19 (not 18).
    His performances gradually went down hill after Michael went to the US to learn from Pfaff. He changed his program to a lot of heavy lifting and less track work because that's how Pfaff was training his athletes. I say if it aint broke, don't fix it. Shirvo was going along so well in '98. I think if they continued to train the way they were during '97 & '98, Matt surely would have run well under 10.00.

Interesting, as his current programme is very high n heavy weights

Which helps his sled coaching very well.

Guess his focus is all over the place at the moment, I wonder what's happening with that group. . .