Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Paleo diet

Paleo diet

Has anyone tried the paleo diet and is it effective for sprinters. It gets rave reviews from the crossfit guys.

Quote Originally Posted by grooster View Post
    Has anyone tried the paleo diet and is it effective for sprinters. It gets rave reviews from the crossfit guys.
    read that

http://www.charliefrancis.com/commun...ters-and-carbs

also depends what kind of shape you have now, what sport etc.

Paleo+post workout carb shake is probably one of the best diets to follow IMO

Quote Originally Posted by syrus2001 View Post
    Thanks for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by syrus2001 View Post
    I would agree. Nothing wrong with adding some oatmeal preworkout or at breakfast. They go a little overboard with the no grains, no beans, no legumes, etc. thing

Here's Bolt's "training secret" ...

http://www.spikesmag.com/features/wi...wdietwork.aspx

That's right, chicken nuggets. Hey, what happened to the yams??

If you really believe some diet buys performance, then chicken nuggets = 9.58? Remember that MacDonalds best known customers at the last Olympics were Usain Bolt and Jeremy Wariner. Michael Johnson also has said that the combination of track work and weight work will make you look good no matter what you eat, so he didn't believe in any special diets.

I'm not saying to run out and fill up on junk food (high saturated fat -> weight gain does not -> outstanding speed endurance), but I think the performance on the track comes from intelligent training on the track, NOT fad diets or fad gym programs. You need sufficient protein and carbs for muscle recovery for the next workout, some trace elements like zinc and magnesium, and that's about it for what your diet gives you.

Paleo diet? You could actually argue better that performances <19.5 were fueled by junk food.

There ain't a damn soul on this forum with genetics close to Bolt.

Sure look at his training for ideas, but his lifestyle is atrocious and nothing like what most pro athletes should aspire. It has also hurt his performance most likely.

Quote Originally Posted by lr1400 View Post
    There ain't a damn soul on this forum with genetics close to Bolt.

Sure look at his training for ideas, but his lifestyle is atrocious and nothing like what most pro athletes should aspire. It has also hurt his performance most likely.
    X2
    SOME sprinters have eaten crap occasionally, but is it optimal? An athlete should eat a normal but healthy diet. This is one area where western athletes could improve on, but get away with it because of outstanding genetics. The Russians & Chinese (weightlifters, track athletes) were meticulous about diet and still are.

You're missing the boat a little bit, especially going a little overboard with that post on Mcdonalds. So we say athletes shouldnt eat junk (like sugar and trans fats), I think we can all agree on that. For sure we should ensure that optimal levels of zinc and magnesium are achieved. In order to accomplish that you should probably avoid the anti-nutrients found in wheat and grains. Say what you will about Dairy, good or bad, it can be a good source of protein and nutrients.

Anyway, my point is what you end up moving towards is exactly what we are talking about, the paleo way of eating. But of course, if none of the top guys are doing, then it must be wrong.

And if you think saturated fats are the big problem, you arent even on the same continent.

I just see things like the Paleo Diet as more faddism that has no basis in sprint performance whatsoever. It is in fact one of the most disrespected current diets by health experts and dieters alike:

http://health.usnews.com/best-diet/best-overall-diets

Anyone who thinks grains are a problem and saturated fat is not needs to spend more time away from the latest fads and paying attention to medical professionals. Compared to a normal balanced diet with protein content optimized for strength and power athletes, I don't see that any diet has the slightest impact. Forget about diet and gym fads, and get thee to the track and train.