Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Sally Pearson's World Championships Performance

  1. #1

    Sally Pearson's World Championships Performance

    Sally Perason's World Championships 100 m hurdles gold medal performance was outstanding! Her peformance was perhaps the best of the entire meet...only .07 off Donkova's world record which has stood for so long. It's been a long time since any female hurdler has gone under 12.30, and Sally did it in style.

    I'd sure like to know what protocol her coach, Sheron Hanna, followed to get Sally to where she is today. Anyone with such information, please post it.

    When you look at the history of the 100 m hurdles you find the European women (Australians included) out performing women from the U.S. and Canada, time wise. One thing in particular that stands out big time is hurdling technique. The European women hurdlers have much better technique. This may be because the Americans and Canadians focus on speed more than technique. That's not to say that speed is unimportant in the 100 m hurdles, but technique is as important as speed, and European women by-in-large have better technique.

  2. #2
    woahhhhhhh there, Sally is very fast, maybe the fastest of the bunch. She has an 11.14 100m pb. If you compare each of the runner's speed in the open 100 to the hurdles Danielle Carruthers might be operating at an even higher level, thus making a case that Sally is not the best with respect to the techincal aspects of the event.

    Sally: 11.14 (100m) 12.28 (hurdles)
    Danielle: 11.43 (100m) 12.47 (hurdles)

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by speedster12 View Post
    woahhhhhhh there, Sally is very fast, maybe the fastest of the bunch. She has an 11.14 100m pb. If you compare each of the runner's speed in the open 100 to the hurdles Danielle Carruthers might be operating at an even higher level, thus making a case that Sally is not the best with respect to the techincal aspects of the event.

    Sally: 11.14 (100m) 12.28 (hurdles)
    Danielle: 11.43 (100m) 12.47 (hurdles)
    Did you see the race? If you compare Danielle's technique to Sally's you'd see what I mean. If Danielle had better technique her time would be faster. That's not to say she would run the 100 hurdles faster than Sally, but her time, 12.47, would be better. As Danielle's technique stands now she"ll never break 12.40, much less 12.30. The difference is Sally has better flat speed and hurdling technique. Furthermore, flat sprint speed and hurdle speed are two different things. For an even better comparison, if you compare Dever's flat speed and hurdles speed and technique to Donkova's flat speed and hurdles speed and technique you'd see what I mean.

    Relentless

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    1,801
    Devers did get better technically, I feel, as she aged and lost a bit of speed as she used to get so close she was forced to kick the lead leg out though did even later but I felt she was a better hurdler having more room to execute the TO.

    Sally already has a lead going into H1. Her initial acc. and then takeoff into H1 sets up such a good race for her. Not that H1 alone wins for her but she gets out so well and the takeoff is fantastic that it leads to high velocity going into H2 and so on.

  5. #5
    Member boldwarrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Brisbane - Qld - Aust
    Posts
    3,128
    Her coach has either improved a ton from 10yrs ago or just got plain lucky with Sally. 10yrs ago she was coaching 150+ athletes/kids etc. A huge club. But with such huge numbers they didn't dominate at State or national titles. Just a person here and there.
    She ran a seminar up where i was coaching at the time, She Hated every aspect of our training for sprints (Cf style)
    At the time we had 5 guys under 11sec from a club of 20. Consider half the club were females and 80% were in school. Not bad for a little country town.
    Just her arrogance towards us was very offputting.
    I do know when CF ran a seminar at the Gold Coast a few yrs back, she was invited to come, but AA Banned her, so a few of her Senior Athletes went instead.

  6. #6
    Member John's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Kiwiland
    Posts
    4,400
    Quote Originally Posted by boldwarrior View Post
    I do know when CF ran a seminar at the Gold Coast a few yrs back, she was invited to come, but AA Banned her, so a few of her Senior Athletes went instead.

    I thought she was there.

    here is the race

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by boldwarrior View Post
    Her coach has either improved a ton from 10yrs ago or just got plain lucky with Sally. 10yrs ago she was coaching 150+ athletes/kids etc. A huge club. But with such huge numbers they didn't dominate at State or national titles. Just a person here and there.
    She ran a seminar up where i was coaching at the time, She Hated every aspect of our training for sprints (Cf style)
    At the time we had 5 guys under 11sec from a club of 20. Consider half the club were females and 80% were in school. Not bad for a little country town.
    Just her arrogance towards us was very offputting.
    I do know when CF ran a seminar at the Gold Coast a few yrs back, she was invited to come, but AA Banned her, so a few of her Senior Athletes went instead.
    Hi Boldwarrior,

    Thanks. Very interesting.

    Relentless

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    I thought she was there.

    here is the race
    Hi John,

    Great video. Thanks.

    Relentless

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Pioneer View Post
    Devers did get better technically, I feel, as she aged and lost a bit of speed as she used to get so close she was forced to kick the lead leg out though did even later but I felt she was a better hurdler having more room to execute the TO.


    Hi Pioneer,

    Sally already has a lead going into H1. Her initial acc. and then takeoff into H1 sets up such a good race for her. Not that H1 alone wins for her but she gets out so well and the takeoff is fantastic that it leads to high velocity going into H2 and so on.
    Hi Pioneer,

    Devers never corrected her lead leg. She always swung it to the outside, much like LoLo Jones currenting does, causing an imbalanced attack of the hurdle, and an off-balanced leading. Add to that the fact that she had difficulty controlling her speed between the hurdles and you can see why she never run the hurdles as well as she might have otherwise. With her 100 m speed and better technique she might have run 12.18 or better.

    I think Pearson is capable of a sub-12.20.

    Relentless

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    1,801
    Yes, it was never corrected only her diminished speed allowed her to not get too close the hurdle which I think did contribute to better hurdling. So many years of the lead leg going out was obviously pretty tough to correct-if she tried to correct it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •