Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Steven Francis Q&A

If it were one athlete then maybe one could question certain aspects. But he seems to have done a great job with Melanie, Shelley and a few others...i didn't see to many issues with them getting through the rounds and then performing when it countered in their respective finals. Its easy to single out one athlete and key issues that may occur.

Lets remember he doesn't control the strength development aspect he employs someone to do that and maybe just maybe it was that individual who was responsible with respect to that pec injury.

I think we are all well aware that with any great squad there can always be one that doesn't quite forfill their potential for a multitude of reasons. That being said Asafa is still running and thus has a chance to answer his critics.

I am still impressed with his ability to control that immense amount of talent and on a whole help them achieve their potentials and perform on that given day when it counts. There are many with squads loaded with just as much talent that never achieve anywhere near what Francis and his squad have.

Three things stood out for me from this interview; first, it sounds like Stephen Francis set aside a potentially lucrative career in finance to run a track and field club. Second, he mentions massage therapy within the first minute. Third, at 20:30 he talks about never assuming you know who will be fast, and relates a story about giving some random boys who approached him in the parking lot a chance to run with one of the world's most famous track clubs. Do these three concepts sound familiar?

Aside from whatever Asafa's individual issues have been over the years, putting the athletes first by not trying to be a money making operation and being anti-selective is brilliant, and is the polar opposite of how a great many track clubs work.

Those are great points. I'm sure the culture dictates a lot of the style of dealing with them. Not that it's right but you have to realize many are not grown ups.

That's a good thing that they have a track club with so many different ages and abilities. Keeps the sport alive.

Some actual trainin gin Lignano Sabbiadoro ( Italy) last week: ( a couple of athletes I know actually trained on the same track with them.
    SAF : day 1 3x120 ( under 13 sec) + 3x100 ( under 11), Day 2, 6x50 blocks + weights ( 6x50, Nesta Carter did the same, although i do not know the other training days of him)
    400m guys/girls did lots of 300+100 or 200+200..I'll have to llok at the notes to post more precise stuff..

Pretty fast day 1 for having speed the next day. They must still follow the Day 1: SE Day 2: Speed format?

Quote Originally Posted by eroszag View Post
    Some actual trainin gin Lignano Sabbiadoro ( Italy) last week: ( a couple of athletes I know actually trained on the same track with them.
    SAF : day 1 3x120 ( under 13 sec) + 3x100 ( under 11), Day 2, 6x50 blocks + weights ( 6x50, Nesta Carter did the same, although i do not know the other training days of him)
    400m guys/girls did lots of 300+100 or 200+200..I'll have to llok at the notes to post more precise stuff..

That sounds very very similar to what I was told was comp phase for Racers. Not surprising.

Still think Charlie's approach is better, safer, smarter.