Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Kit kats 400m program

Re: Kit kats 400m program

Quote Originally Posted by tedgreen View Post
    I have used this WO alot. But I was always a bit hesitant to start right off as KK does. We kind of used a C Hart system 12x200 @32 r=2 gradually decreasing until I thought our guys were ready to handle 24or 25 sec runs. (our guys are 46-47runners) I'd really like to try going at it much earlier in the training year . Has anyone else started straight away with goal times?
    From P7 http://www.charliefrancis.com/commun...ks-to-KK/page7 courtesy of Top Cat

To achieve the 5-6x200m for a developing quarter miler you will probably have to go through a progression like:

3x200m
    2x200m [5min] 2x200m
    3x200m [5min] 2x200m
    3x200m [5min] 3x200m
    5x200m
    6x200m

Doing this session once a week it usually takes 2 sessions at each progression to achieve target times. Depending on the athlete's endurance qualities they may need more than 5min between sets.

John,

You are awesome for digging that up. I went straight into 6x200 last year my first time through KitKat's GPP. I didn't find out about the above post until it was too late! Great progression by TopCat, I'm going to try it this year.

Ted,

I think it depends on the athlete's fitness level. Last spring, I had a few guys coming off XC season handle 6x200, it just wasn't fast yet. They were able to recover quickly between runs. However, a sprinter with limited fitness, may need to have that run split up, with one potential progression above.

I've had guys go at it to find out what they could do. When they hit their limit I'd stop and know where to progress from there. Some times I've had guys do 4 at pace and die a horrible death at #5. I would then aim to work towards doing 5 in a row for this situation.

ESTI,

Yes there is no way our 46-47 guys could go right into 5-6x200@24/25 r=2. Maybe we will look at topCats progression.

We have after several months of GPP done WO's like 3x200@25-24-24 R=2and 1. With 10 min rest btwn sets 1rst set in trainers 2nd set in spikes on an indoor track. This kind of gets us ready ror the 5-6x200@24/25. Which is something we have really only tried a few times.

Let me fix the last post The WO we do in the winter 2x3x200@25-24-24.Should actually be 25-25-24. Later in the spring we would go 25-24-24. The one sec faster on the 2nd rep makes a big difference.

Quote Originally Posted by vedette View Post
    What is the rest interval on 4-6 X 200?
    I always aim to jog a recovery over the same distance as the rep: run 200m, jog, 200m, run 200m etc. I aim to cover the jog component in 2mins or under. Some athletes, particularly those moving up from a 100m competitive background, needed to walk every part of every recovery. But eventually, if only in the second year, they moved to jogging some or all of the recoveries

Quote Originally Posted by ESTI View Post
    Ted,

I think it depends on the athlete's fitness level. Last spring, I had a few guys coming off XC season handle 6x200, it just wasn't fast yet. They were able to recover quickly between runs. However, a sprinter with limited fitness, may need to have that run split up, with one potential progression above.

I've had guys go at it to find out what they could do. When they hit their limit I'd stop and know where to progress from there. Some times I've had guys do 4 at pace and die a horrible death at #5. I would then aim to work towards doing 5 in a row for this situation.
    We tried it on grass first following a good GPP with decent tempo sessions. 5x200m on grass starting with 5 mins recovery then whittled it down a bit, then switched to the track with 4x200m at come home pace with 2 1/2 mins recovery. After a few sessions my male under 20 was doing 5 reps with 2mins recovery, much of it walked to protect his shins.

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    From P7 http://www.charliefrancis.com/commun...ks-to-KK/page7 courtesy of Top Cat

To achieve the 5-6x200m for a developing quarter miler you will probably have to go through a progression like:

3x200m
    2x200m [5min] 2x200m
    3x200m [5min] 2x200m
    3x200m [5min] 3x200m
    5x200m
    6x200m

Doing this session once a week it usually takes 2 sessions at each progression to achieve target times. Depending on the athlete's endurance qualities they may need more than 5min between sets.
    One of my athletes is doing this at the moment, and has just finished week 4 - that 2 x 2 x 200m. It was the first week we haven't been affected by wind, he started off a second quicker than planned and his last rep was 2 seconds slower than planned. Although not unhappy with that.

The one thing I am trying is the first week of the progression (the progression si 12 weeks remember, 2 weeks on each one) I do a walk recovery, and the second week is the jog recovery. Seems to be able to handle the load slightly better at the moment.
    Continuing to learn is one thing in life that has to continue.

One of my athletes did his first 400m for the season. Last season he run 55.6. He has missed about 8 weeks of full training aver the last 5 months due to being an idiot...

On Thursday he did 2 x 3 x 200m with jog recovery and 5 minutes between sets. 1st set all done in the 27's the second set all 30's

After running a 100m in 12.19 (PB is 12.18), he run a 400m in 54.44 and came home well. The winter of hills has worked.

He also finished University exams on Wednesday (he is sitting on a 90% average)

We have been doing max speed SPP (as per CF video) and some hills and now 6 x 200's session. Competition is his special endurance work.

The work, modifying KK's work, has been working.
    Continuing to learn is one thing in life that has to continue.

Banned

I used kk programme last year after a few tweaks, using a revolution of the phases, starting in November run through to April, including an indoor phase in feb.
    Worked rather well with all my young athletes producing PBs and the older ones (including myself) running better times then the past 4/5 years.

For this year, I have amended the programme further incorporating a few other elements I felt we're missing, funnily enough this was top end and actual vo2 and threshold work.
    Split into 4 6week phases each with a 4week specific element and then 2weeks of standard tolerance training. Culminating in a 4 week phase prior to the season.

I have high hopes with the programme and is working well so far, but first test is indoor feb and then of course the outdoor