Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Kit kats 400m program

Kit kats 400m program

Has anyone here tried kit kats 400m program?
    Any success with it?
    And did u have to adjust the training volume down?
    I guess the structure of the program is for everyone, but the session should be adjusted to your level? I am aiming for a sub 51 400m. I am coming from 800m background and have good endurance. Maybe I dont need to adjust down the volume?

Wk1
    Day Session(s)
    1. 2-3 x 4x150m
    2. Long Hills + Weights
    3. Rest (or 1hr Gymnastics)
    4. 5x200 + Weights
    5. Long Hills
    6. Jog (15-30mins) + Weights
    7. Rest

Wk2
    1. Sprints ladder 350, 300, 250, 200, 150, 100, 60, 50, 40, 30 - slow walkback recoveries.
    2. Jog 15-30min + Weights
    4. 2 (300+150) + Weights
    5. 5 x 200
    6. 2x5x100 tempo runthroughs, walkback + Weights
    7. Rest

Wk3
    1. Long Hills
    2. 3x3x300m + Weights (Upperbody only)
    4 Rest (or Warm-up, warm-down) +NO WTS.
    5. Track fast, relaxed 300+4x60, 250+3x60, 200+2x60, & 150+1x60.
    6. Jog 15-20mins + Weights (Whole body)
    7. Rest

Wk 4 (Repeats for Wk5):
    1. 300+60,50,40,30; 200+60,50,40,30; 150+60,50,40,30 (30sec rest between long rep and first short rep)
    2. Field Circuit (about 6mins) + NO WEIGHTS
    3. Rest (or 1hrs Gymnastics)
    4. 300+150, 150+150, 100+80, 80+60, 60+60 (all 30sec b/reps; full rec between sets) + Weights.

5. Jog 15-20min
    6. 3-6 (2x60m Skip, 2x80m Sprint Buildups, 2x80m Sled Pull or Equivalent Light Resistance)
    7. Rest

Wk 6
    Rest & Test Wk
    1. Rest
    2. Warm-up, Warm-Down
    3. Trials 300m (stand start), and 150m. + Weights (Lowest Reps Possible).
    4. Rest
    5. Trials 80m and 200m + Weights (As Normal, all exercises, for volume at 80-85% of 1rmax)
    6. Rest
    7. Rest

REPEAT 6-WK CYCLE STARTING FROM WK 1.

Now that's the basical outline. You have to monitor the athlete closely. I don't want to be prescriptive with times because every athlete will have to vary, depending on training years and ability and commitment. No-one is going to go from being a 50sec runner to 44sec in one year (unless they have previously been close to 44sec).

I make zero demands during the first cycle. But I use that to calculate (also based on PBs and standard 400m models) what MIGHT be appropriate target times for the reps for each individual.

The second time through the cycle, I ask more of the athlete, of course with consideration to all the things posted earlier on this thread.

As I said, "absolute" speed is not really being develop. There is too much volume even in the speed-power cycle to classify the work as 100m develop-type stuff. But as the athletes get fitter, they can deliver some fairly impressive speed through those sessions - especially over the years. The best male 400m runner I had the honour to work with started to run some ridiculously quick times during some GPP sets. Then again his body adapted over the seven years (double periodised) we worked together.
    kk

It has been mentioned on the forum, of people doing the programme with success, people needing to modfy the volume and etc...

From memory most people who commenced the programme - became sore and injured. To fix this they reduced the volume or changed methods. The ones who reduced volume noticed greater improvement the next season.

Can't put my finger on who said this, but I can remember seeing it (I hope)
    Continuing to learn is one thing in life that has to continue.

Check out my training Journal. Most of the early GPP workouts are posted. I had a kid run mid 51s at mid april and run sub 49 mid may

Quote Originally Posted by ESTI View Post
    Check out my training Journal. Most of the early GPP workouts are posted. I had a kid run mid 51s at mid april and run sub 49 mid may
    Great. Can u give an example of a gpp and spp week? And/Or tell what kind of weekly structure u follows?

It's in the "Training Journal" section of the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by ESTI View Post
    It's in the "Training Journal" section of the forum.
    Thanks I think I found it now
    http://www.charliefrancis.com/commun...pionship-Quest

i think with this program you try not to be prescriptive but eventually i provided the actual program used by a couple of my athletes. But they were international 400m sprinters. Fr others moving up to the 400m, the volume is cut and recovery times between reps (especially) is increased. Train symptomatically. If it hurts too much, end the rep, set or session as I have written on the dreaded lactate thread. You need to have a sense of self-preservation about these matters. You also need to bear in mind that you need consistency through the weeks ahead, so don't annihilate yourself trying to complete a session today just because of the challenge that it has been written down and was done by some champion of yesteryear. Be sensible, be kind to yourself, and just break the work down into palitable proportions kk

I've used the idea of doing 4-6x200m at the come home pace of the 400m before moving to more Special Endurance 2 workouts and it worked very well for me with athletes in the 45-47s range.

Quote Originally Posted by TopCat View Post
    I've used the idea of doing 4-6x200m at the come home pace of the 400m before moving to more Special Endurance 2 workouts and it worked very well for me with athletes in the 45-47s range.
    I started using the this last season with my older athletes. Didn't get a full season of it, lasted about 4 weeks, because of a medial knee injury from playing futsal. The work we did do the athlete improved 3 seconds (57 to 54) and their 200m improved a around a second.
    Continuing to learn is one thing in life that has to continue.

What is the rest interval on 4-6 X 200?