Wk4/Unload
    -Barbell Back Squat
    Wk1/80% 2 sets of 5 reps
    Wk2/85% 2 sets of 3 reps
    Wk3/90% 2 sets of 1 reps
    Wk4/Unload
    -Row
    -Hypers

The Thursday weights are based off a Training Max, 90% of best so 225 TRM (250 CRM) for Bench and 500 (550) for Squat.

I decided to keep the intensity the same in the Squat as the Bench on Thursday and it has gone fine so far.

Thanks. Nice squat max of 550!!! Explain TRM and CRM? How many sets did it normally take to work up to a 5-3-1 rm on Monday's?

Thanks.

Tfm (is actually the acronym used by Zatsiorsky in Science and Practice of Strength Training; I like to use TRM for Training Rep Max) stands for Training Force Maximum.

In the book, there are 3 delineations that are used to explain maximal strength: Absolute Strength, Competition Force Maximum, and Training Force Maximum.

Simply put, Absolute Strength is 110%, Competition Force Maximum is 100%, and Training Force Maximum is between 87.5-92.5%.

So I take the median of the 87.5-92.5% range (ergo 90% TFM or TRM) and use that to work off of for my lifts.

To work up to those Rep Maxes I usually 6-7 sets for Squat(s) and 5-6 sets for Bench(es).

Ex: Bar/Reps 50/5 60/3 70/2 80/1 85/5RM

Damn, 250 bench and 550 squat???

My best lifts are 255 Bench and 565 Squat done about a year and a half ago for football testing.

The Bench Press has definitely increased already though as I did 210x6 for Floor Press and after doing some formulas that comes out to about 270; but of course that is using math for something very organic.

Simply put, my leverages are good for the Squat and not good for the Bench Press; I have had a very large imbalance in my shoulder adduction/internal rotation strength on my left side from all the years of playing QB and Pitching making my right rotator cuff much stronger, along with that being my dominant side too.

I'm still debating on whether or not I will test 1RM next Thursday; probably will end up doing a Max Jones Quad test, though and at least testing bench, not sure about Squat.

Quote Originally Posted by qb0708 View Post
    My best lifts are 255 Bench and 565 Squat done about a year and a half ago for football testing.

The Bench Press has definitely increased already though as I did 210x6 for Floor Press and after doing some formulas that comes out to about 270; but of course that is using math for something very organic.

Simply put, my leverages are good for the Squat and not good for the Bench Press; I have had a very large imbalance in my shoulder adduction/internal rotation strength on my left side from all the years of playing QB and Pitching making my right rotator cuff much stronger, along with that being my dominant side too.

I'm still debating on whether or not I will test 1RM next Thursday; probably will end up doing a Max Jones Quad test, though and at least testing bench, not sure about Squat.
    I wouldn't get too caught up in the weights. They're important but, as Charlie said, they're just a means. The speed/power assessment is much more relevant and the Max Jones is a nice grouping of relevant physical preparatory qualities. Something along the lines of the Max Jones is a good bench mark for the weight training because if those numbers don't go anywhere but the weights do than you know you're emphasizing the wrong components.

In my experience, when the speed/power work is emphasized and properly dosed/managed, in terms of workload:recovery, the weights go up every time with minimal emphasis- every time. More important for you is that you correct the shoulder pathology because an intensification of a lack of scapulohumeral rhythm will only intensify the existing problem.

I only lift primary weights 2x a week this block with no more than 10 repetitions for my top set work.

Speed/Power work is also emphasized.

Ex. Workout from Thursday:
    Warm-Up A (~25 min.) + Prehab + Power-Speed
    Explosive MB Throws/5x3
    Positional Field Drills/~15 min.
    Sprints 10yd Hill/5 + 20yd MB Accel/3 + 30yd Falling/3
    3 Fold Hurdle Hops + MB Throw/3
    Bench Press 195/3x2
    Back Squat 425/2x2
    Yates Row/4x3
    45 Hyper/10x3

My imbalance is nearly gone, during sub-maximal and maximal attempts in the Bench Press my shoulder stays stable; I have simply been adding unilateral Internal Rotation, Horizontal Adduction (w and w/o internal rotation), and various other unilateral shoulder girdle work.