Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Strength gains

Me love powerlifting.

Quote Originally Posted by star61 View Post
    Not to disrespect anyone's opinion, but I do not think there is such a thing as lifting too heavy early in a cycle. You can overtrain, but lifting light early in the cycle is not the answer. Lift hard and heavy for 3-4 weeks while increasing volume. If you feel yourself getting beat up or your lifts become more difficult, reduce volume by half for a week or two.

Second, sets of 12 are not effecient for making you stronger. They're not actually that great for hypertrophy either, especially if their too light. Strength is best built in the 1-3 rep range with weights above 85% of 1RM. Hypertrophy is best realized in the 8 rep range with weights that allow you to perform 3-4 sets of 8...barely. I suggest....

Warm Up
    1) Sets of 2-3, working up to a near rep max, then another set or two at that weight. Long rest breaks (3-5mins).

2) 3 x 8 at a weight that barely allows you to complete the last set...1-2 min rest breaks.

3) Tricep work such as dips or close-grip bench press.

Throw in some board presses. Two or three 2 x 4's on your chest with a good spotter. You will be using weights in excess of your 1RM for doubles and triples.

This is not some crazy, exotic lifting. This is bread and butter powerlifting. It will be demanding, so I would only do this off season or GPP. If you don't compete as a sprinter, you can probably get away with it anytime.

Even if I'm only doing 3 sets?

Its the BFS football workout. Maybe not ideal, but I would change it so that I would be doing low volume speed work m-w-f and tempo and an work on Tuesday and Thursday. Med ball after speed and before weights. x25 throws.

Its the BFS football workout. Maybe not ideal, but I would change it so that I would be doing low volume speed work m-w-f and tempo and an work on Tuesday and Thursday. Med ball after speed and before weights. x25 throws.

Quote Originally Posted by hemann View Post

Too much IMO... Most athletes cant handle 3 total body sessions.

Here are some notes i made from the last time my bench press went up:

Lifted very high volume 3x per week

Chest Triceps on monday
    Lower body on wednesday and military press
    Pulling excercises on friday

Took creatine for the first time
    Gained 10-15 pounds body weight
    didn't do any running
    power clean went from 185lbs to 215
    squat did not change

took from mid feb. or so to end of may.

I did 4x12 for bench for 6 (or more?)consecutive weeks.
    Then went to 4x6-8 for 6 weeks
    one or two weeks of 3x3 or so
    maxed out at 250... up from 215

Chest Triceps on monday

during track season
    squat did not change

Quote Originally Posted by hemann View Post

Chest Triceps on monday

during track season
    squat did not change

That's a lot of weeks to do hypertrophy/strength endurance work. The more trained you are the less time you need to spend doing it. I don't mean to say it's unimportant only that you need to spend more time with 5's and 3's and less in 12's. Shorten your blocks down-no need to do that many consecutive weeks of the same rep range-too much type I fiber development. 6-8 reps, while closer to developing strength is not really addressing that issue like lower reps would. Shorter blocks with more frequent rotation of the rep ranges.

I don't think I've gained much muscle fiber at all. That's what my original post was asking really. Can I develop muscle fiber lifting heavy weights as long as I gain body weight?

Week 1 3x3
    Week 2 3x5
    Week 3 5-3-1
    Week 4 deload

Or should I spend 4-6 weeks doing 3x8 and adding some mass and then lower the reps to the 1-5 range? Too most ppl this maybe isn't too much of a concern. But my bench press is embarrassing. I haven't made considerable progress in 4 years now...!!

I don't think I've gained much muscle fiber at all. That's what my original post was asking really. Can I develop muscle fiber lifting heavy weights as long as I gain body weight?

Week 1 3x3
    Week 2 3x5
    Week 3 5-3-1
    Week 4 deload

Or should I spend 4-6 weeks doing 3x8 and adding some mass and then lower the reps to the 1-5 range? Too most ppl this maybe isn't too much of a concern. But my bench press is embarrassing. I haven't made considerable progress in 4 years now...!!

I would definitely be in favor of higher volume weights than what you have planned there. Also, it really comes down to your diet when you are trying to put on weight. How is that going?