Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast

Thread: Chieftan's Championship Quest

Re: Chieftan's Championship Quest

Season #6 coming up starting next week! Can't believe I've been here going on 6 seasons. This is likely going to be most challenging for a few reasons.

This winter was my lowest number of indoor competitors. I have no idea what shape my top kids are in coming into the season. From the first day of practice until our regional final meet, there are 67 calendar days. We don't practice on Sundays (except for a possible few distance kids who will run), and also the first few saturdays as well, minus the 9 meets we have before regionals (5 dual meets, 4 invites), plus our spring break week, we have 36 practice days between the first day and our regional meet.

Thankfully it appears the first week will be great weather. The snow has melted from the track and that is the big roadblock I deal with each year, so this is a huge bonus.

I'm trying to get my head around how to set up my sprinters training with only 36 days total to get them to peak. Most years I've had a good bulk of kids who trained throughout the winter. Last year I had a good portion of distance kids do that but no sprinters. This year I had only one hurdler who trained consistently throughout the winter. I'm trying to attach a copy of the schedule as an image. Track schedule phot blank.jpg

Week 1 in the books.

Monday had a team meeting before practice and gave what I feel is one of my best talks ever. My talks, however, aren't what wins championships and gets personal best times. It comes from the athlete themselves. The focus of my talk was to commit to being on the team, commit to practicing at the best of your abilities on that day. Did my talk have an impact? Not really. Dozens of kids missed practice for reasons that show track is very low on their priority list (dentist appt, mom couldn't pick me up today, going on a college visit, had to stay after school to finish a project, had to go to a study group for a test next week etc).

I have essentially a new and undertrained team starting the season. Monday I did a team 800m time trial and that was it. Some tried hard and some jogged (again, doubtful my talk impacted them when they jogged a trial 30 minutes after I spoke to them about commitment and effort).

Tuesday we did 100 and 200 trials.

Wednesday was high jump introduction and hurdles. I wanted the girls to get a feel for the events so they could then choose to do them if they wanted, and I could get an idea of who might have immediate skill sets. After we did fitness work. Run across the field and back (about 100 yds) and do push ups and abs as rest x 10 reps. The team is very unfit. The last run was nearly walking for most kids.

Thursday was very windy and we just did fitness work, 10x100 tempo run with 30 seconds rest (my 9th graders did 10xdown and backs (100 yards) with abs and push up rest. The wind made it hard to time anything.

Friday I cancelled practice because I came down with the flu Thursday night.

Looking ahead, we have 8 practices until spring break, in which they will get 9 days off from practice. When they return, they have two days to prepare for the first dual meet.

In years past I had enough kids who had spent enough time with me in the winter to know what to do. This year I do not, so this makes it hard to coach the more talented runners separately. My assistants coach the pole vault and throws, so I am alone coaching sprints, distance, hurdles and jumps in a 60-90 minute practice 5 days a week. I'll make the best of it like I always do.

Week 2 now in the books.

I was home Monday with my kids who came down with the flu, so there was no practice.

With large numbers, and with 9th graders coming so late, I have divided the practice time into two groups, 2:30 pm group-distance, 3:30-sprinters/hurdlers/jumpers. In the past, I've had both distance and sprinters/H/J at 2:30, and the same at 3:30. I only have 3 9th grade distance girls, and I have decided to try something that seemed to work well a few years ago with one of my distance girls who turned out to be one of our schools all time best runners.

Tuesday the weather was cold and raining.
    Sprinters attempted to work n acceleration mechanics. We did a few reps of the wall posture drill, then did resisted sprints with tires. One of my top new sprinters pulled her hamstring on the second rep, on the 3rd step. I've never had a sprinter hurt in training in 5 previous years. The group was too large to get anything done of significance that day.

Wednesday was cold and raining as well. Sprinters worked on upright sprinting mechanics do a progressive A run drill using mini hurdles. After, we did easy tempo 10x100. Hurdlers went through a series of technique drills.

Thursday was pouring rain and chilly. Half of my sprinters were not there for various reasons. Older, more fit girls did big circuit, and the newer girls did 12x100 tempo.

Friday was no school due to Good Friday holiday. No one practiced. They are off this weekend as well.

5 more days next week and then they are off for our spring break for a week. 9 practices done, 28 more to go. (plus 9 meets)

Week 3 completed:

Monday:
    Sprinters: introduced block settings. out of the 25 sprinters on the team, only 4 have used blocks before (16 girls are 9th graders, most coming out for the first time). I like to introduce blocks to them and let them decide if they want to use them or not. (Side note: Having only 4 girls return has been a huge challenge for me. I feel as if those girls are getting shorted on coaching time because I have to start from the beginning with all the kids on the team for everything we do, not just blocks).

Hurdlers (experienced ones) did 1 x 7H hurdle timed.

Tuesday: Sprinters did a 300 breakdown, taken from Kit Kat's GPP set up (300, 200, 150, 100, 80, 60, 40).
    Long jumpers finally had good weather and a dry board to work on take off

Hurdlers worked on drills and a did a few standing starts to 3H. One hurdler, M (the only sprinter to train in the winter time), did 3x5H and 3-stepped each run, the first time she's done it more than one run in a practice. Previously, she had 3 stepped 5H only once, and has gotten consistent at 3H-4H but often has to 4 step the last 1-2 out of 5. Today she felt great and run well.

Wednesday: Uniform hand out day (pretty much a day nothing gets done). Sprinters warmed up and did tempo, 12x100 for younger kids, Big circuit for older.

Thursday: Sprinters did 3x30m standing, 2x60m timed. The girls who will likely make up my relay team, I also timed their accels and 60m. I use Coach Ecker's relay mark equation for the last 3 years pretty successfully in both 4x100 and 4x200. As the season goes on, I'll put marks on the track and get race times to fine tune the relay marks.

Friday: Sprinters:300+3x60, 250+2x60, 200+60 (another modified KitKat training session).
    Hurdlers did 2x60mH races (over 5H). M did really poorly, I think the race environment plus a fairly taxing week didn't help her.
    Long jumpers and high jumpers did a few jumps, as the weather was pretty nice today.

We are now on spring break. Counting ahead, after this coming week when everyone returns, there are 22 practices and 9 meet days left until regionals (there are two more meets after but those practice days are really just warm-ups and go home, a phase in our year I call "race and rest". I still can't believe how short the season is.

Out of my sprinter group, I currently have 3 girls who can run under 14 seconds in the 100m, 1 right around the 14.00 mark, a few more just above 14, and the rest are over 16 seconds. I don't have enough depth to have the team success I've had. My distance squad is strong, but when it comes to dual meet points, teams win or lose based on the strength of the sprinters because of the events those athletes are often in (long jump, high jump, 100, 200, 4x100, 4x200, sometimes 400 and 4x400). The other events are 800, 1600, 3200, 4x800, shot, discus and vault. Relays are awards 5 points for the winner and 0 points for the loser. Relay are crucial. In years past, my girls didn't lose for several years in a row. It's possible we may not win a sprint relay this year, time will tell. Either way, we will work to do our best.

Really enjoy your posts. Are you following a L to S approach with your sprinters, and if so, what would be the reasoning behind this? cheers

Quote Originally Posted by grooster View Post
    Really enjoy your posts. Are you following a L to S approach with your sprinters, and if so, what would be the reasoning behind this? cheers
    Thanks for reading!

The season is so short here, only 68 calendar days until our regional final, then one more week of 2 championship meets every other day. State finals, for those who make it, are two weeks from regionals. At the start of the season, it's cold and I spend most of the first week teaching warm up, collecting paperwork, and other things I'd prefer not to do, but have to. We have 3 weeks of practice, then a week off for spring break (where we currently are in the schedule). After break, we have 5 competition weeks, and then a week off leading to regionals. What I have realized is for the kids who have done nothing prior to the season, I'm not sure what to do with them. A select few in this bunch have potential, so I tend to assign training based on their outlook for the season. The others just have to try to hang out. When I have girls who's fastest sprint time in the 100 is 16 seconds, I think you just have to make it fun for them.

What I found out through a few years of trying different things is when I need kids to get race fit in a hurry, KitKat's GPP set up has done wonders for both the girls and the boys I have coached. I let the races be their true speed work for the season. The training doesn't produce quality 100m times, but it does allow athletes to run fast 100s, really fast 200s and often run decent 400s, so I have kids who can do 6 events at quality levels.

Once we get to meets, we run twice a week, this year on Thursday and Saturdays. In the past, Tues and Saturday. That leaves, usually, one day for quality work, and in most cases, very minimal at that (maybe 2x60m and some accelerations) due to the lack of capacity to do work. Typically Saturday's the sprinters do 1-2 races (sometimes more if there are rounds).

In the case I get kids who are more committed, (as in all years past), I'll typically do something similar to short to long, as we are in a hallway or at a 40m track at another local school, from November until end of February.

Week 4 (spring Break) Week of April 4

Poor weather all week forced me to cancel practices most of the week.
    Wednesday sprinters did block start practice to 10m to get comfortable in them. Most girls are new to the team and have never used them or are very comfortable yet.
    4x150 SE slit runs. This is a kitKat GPP session, but we are only fit enough to do one set, not 2-3 as in years past.

Friday
    Max speed day. 2 x 20+20 pick up drills, 2 x 30+30 pick up drill, 1 x60

Week 5 (back to school, meets begin) Week of April 11

Monday: picture day, nothing done really.

Tuesday: Sprinters did 4x200 session, another KitKat session, but modified.

Wednesday: sprinters: blocks and batons, tempo 10 x 100

Thursday: Meet

Week 6 (week of April 18)

Monday
    Sprinters: blocks and batons
    Hurdlers: drills

Tuesday
    Meet

Wednesday
    Big circuit for most of the older sprinters.
    We also did progressive running A's

Hurdlers did MedBall throws fro the GPP video to try and enhance block starts.
    G (the hurdler from last year) did 5 x 10 hurdle hops

Thursday April 21
    Sprinters: 30m standing starts (baton work) for faster girls, others did 8x100 tempo (shins are starting to become an issue). Rest was abs after the odds and push ups after the evens.
    The girls running in Saturday's meet did 2 x 60m

Friday:
    Sprinters racing Saturday did warm-up only.

Girls not running Saturday did 150, 100, 80, 60 with nearly full recovery.

Saturday: Meet at Oxford HS. 9th grader "M" ran 13.19 FAT after running several 12.9 -13.1 hand timed 100s in dual meets. G (hurdler) ran terrible, took 5th place.