Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Bouncing Bench Press

Quote Originally Posted by Kronik85 View Post
    Not enough meat in yours

There is a difference between literally bouncing the bar off your chest for a 1RM, which is dangerous to the sternum/internal organs/ribcage, and doing speed benches where the weight is lowered at a faster than normal rate, the stretch reflex is engaged, and the bar is explosively pushed out and away. it is a plyometric movement. it is not used to set new 1RM.
    How are you engaging the stretch reflex when your body, or a pillow, is absorbing the force? Abruptly reversing directions will load plyometrically, but when you bounce the weight you are unloading the muscle and tendons, reducing the plyometric effect. Why not just quickly reverse the weight, letting your muscles, tendons and ligaments absorb the eccentric overload which can then be released concentrically?

I believe someone earlier asked if there are benefits in this for sprinters. I also would like to know. My old coach used to recommend clap push-ups which are similiar but not the same. He was a firm believer that this was a great way to prepare the upper body for sprinting when starting to taper. He emphasized the elastic response it generated for sprints. Thoughts...?

CF used to use med balls, I know which way I would go.

Quote Originally Posted by sonicboom View Post
    I believe someone earlier asked if there are benefits in this for sprinters. I also would like to know. My old coach used to recommend clap push-ups which are similiar but not the same. He was a firm believer that this was a great way to prepare the upper body for sprinting when starting to taper. He emphasized the elastic response it generated for sprints. Thoughts...?
    In the CFTS when moving towards taper and competition all numbers of stimuli providing an elastic response possibly competing with sprinting were gradually scaled down,an upper body strength stimulus (relatively heavy bp) being used as the very last primer.

In a different training approach such as Allan Wells' training the speedball was extensively used as a tool to prepare the body (not only the upper part!) for the demands of sprinting while a solid base of general fitness and strength was put into place at the same time,with high volumes of basic body weight exercises among which the classical push up.

If I were asked if rebound bench press modalities can provide benefits to sprinters I would answer yes,provided their training does not contains...sprinting itself as a main stimulus. Not many athletes' choice nowadays.
    Knowledge belongs to the world. (Synapse)