Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: SPP S-L using the vancouver series template

SPP S-L using the vancouver series template

I hope someone can help me on this. I'm really confused how should I create my SPP training plan. I just finished an extremely successfull GPP and started the SPP today.

The problem is that I bought "inside the SPP" download on Friday but haven't recieved the download permission yet and therefore haven't been able to make my plan for SPP.

This week is my rest week. I'm actually training by the CF methods only that I really need to deload in my rest week aevery 4th week. I do that by doing only 2 HIGH days, one for special endurance and one for pure speed.

Today I did some special endurance:
    2x4x60m
    2min between reps/7min between sets

I'm really having a lot of problems by using intensity limits. As I'm still a begginer and I can accelerate only for 30-40m at max I figured that I should adjust the intensity limit? Would that be ok (let's say that I take the intensity limit for 10m if the should do pro sprinter the 30 + maintain)?

Is the intensity limit for me really so important?
    I suppose that on SE days the intensity limit counts only for the first repetition, as the other are done with so little rest that they can't be to taxing for the CNS? And therefore should be run on max effort?

Today in the first set I ran the identical time for the 2nd, 3rd and 4th run in the first set and the time was actually quite fast for me. Have I done something really wrong?

Would really appreciate some answers and some help with the correction of my SPP plan which I will post later. Thanks in advance!

You can shorten the intensity limit, yes. It's just a way to control things. In SE sessions it helps with consistency, too. In these sessions the intensity limit should not be farther than the acceleration distance you've reached so far and the one you use in the pure speed sessions (i.e., equal or less).
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit" Aristotle

Hi KK400, Nik is correct, my athletes are in the 7.00-7.5 range for 60m and we have been using acceleration limits of 15-20m and now 20-25m, increasing them gradually. Keeping your times consistant probably means you have chosen well the distance you are placing your cone. Just don't rush in moving out towards 30m otherwise you will plateau, I'm speaking from experience, oh and 2x4x60m sounds sensible volume as well.

Thanks a lot to both of you!

Thanks a lot to both of you!

I've just watched "inside the SPP" video and I've designed my SPP1 plan based on the video and on the vancouver series seminar.

I accelerate only to somewhere from 35-40m, therefore my intensity limits are shorter.

Here are the first 3 weeks of my 12 week-long SPP1 plan.

Some questions reagarding the plan structure:
    - Is the volume ok or is it too high?
    - Are the intensity limits ok?
    - I did the first week of the plan already as my recovery week, although I made it much too intensive: Should I just continue?
    - Accumulation weights are intended for this "mesocycle". OK?
    - should I incorporate small volumes of plyometrics (some box jumps, etc.)?

WEEK 1
    -recovery week:

HIGH INTENSITY:
    MONDAY: Special endurance
    1x25m
    2x4x60m
    Weights: Bench press: 2x8, 1x6
    Made a mistake not using intensity limits

THURSDAY: Speed
    5x30m from block

(Weights: clean 3x6)
    Made a mistake not using intensity limits

WEEK 2:
    Mon, fri: SE
    2x15m
    2x20m from blocks
    2x4x60m (intensity 15+maintain)

(Weights: deadlift or squat 1x8,1x6,1x8, Military press or bent-over-row: 3x8, reverse hyper 3x12)

Wed: SPEED
    2x15m
    2x20m from blocks
    1x2x20EFE
    1x2x20FEF

(Weights: clean 1x8,1x6,1x8, Bench press: 3x8, reverse hyper 3x12)

WEEK 3: SE
    Mon, Fri:
    2x15m
    2x20m from blocks
    2x3x60m (20m+maintain)

(Weights: deadlift or squat 1x8,1x6,1x8, Military press or bent-over-row: 3x8, reverse hyper 3x12)

Wed: SPEED
    1x20m
    2x20m from blocks
    2x2x20EFE
    1x60m (25+maintain)

(Weights: clean 1x8,1x6,1x8, Bench press: 3x8, reverse hyper 3x12)

EDIT: I do the tempo workouts and core conditioning on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday.

Hi, it looks okay, we include vertical box jumps after the speed unit before lifting. Its just 2x5 jumps onto a box and straight up onto a pole vault bed. At a weekend we do a session of power med ball with 10m run outs 1-2 x 5 of each e.g. squat throw, single 2 ftd jump + throw, followed by weights. It helps with the power and acceleration qualities.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilG View Post
    Hi, it looks okay, we include vertical box jumps after the speed unit before lifting. Its just 2x5 jumps onto a box and straight up onto a pole vault bed. At a weekend we do a session of power med ball with 10m run outs 1-2 x 5 of each e.g. squat throw, single 2 ftd jump + throw, followed by weights. It helps with the power and acceleration qualities.
    Thanks again. I've just got one more question if you (or anyone else) wouldn't mind answering:

after this first three weeks I intended to start max weights block of three weeks followed by recovery week and another max weights block. May I just stick with the vancouver graph and choose my own ratios and distances (like I did above)? Or is it made only to illustrate principles?

If you are going to use Max Strength work then make sure it fits with the running sessions you have set. Trying to do max strength and really fast runs with long recovery can be problematic as the weights are too intense to allow fast times. As always remember the speed comes first and you 'top it up' with the weights. You may plan max strength weights but it is the speed that will tell you what you should be doing in the weight room rather than what you have written on the sheet.

Another observation of your progression thus far is that you may be moving too quickly. Try and repeat a session (e.g. your 2x4x60m) until the athlete can handle it before moving on. With CFs sessions i always noted that he would do about 3-4 sessions (around 2 weeks) before moving up in intensity. Hope this helps.

Dan Pfaff talks about this in one of his lectures and how most coaches ignore this phase. Good point!
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit" Aristotle