Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: GPP for 400m runnres

GPP for 400m runnres

Hello, I have some 400m guys-I am a former pure sprinter, no experience with a longer sprint. I have a question about conception of GPP for 400m runners. Not clear if I can use same model like is written here or should add some special endurance (2x600m) instead of one day of hills. Any help? Problem is that SPP is only 5 weeks long, GPP is 7 weeks long.

Which model are you referring to? SPP looks short indeed.
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit" Aristotle

GPP hills workout... over here is GPP 7 weeks long, SPP 12 weeks long. Can I use 2x600m in GPP? and during SPP move it down a little bit, like 400m and less?

why spp so short?
    Keep the CF spirit alive.

The school, what I have been working for, goes on condition camp at the begining of December (on ski!) and after that we have another 5 weeks till indoor season launches. I am not able to do enything with that. I am a new coach in that school and no chance to make any changes. :-( right now. The kids are between 16 and 19. What do you think about it?

How important is your indoor season? You may have to compromise your indoor season for a more fruitfull outdoor season.
    Keep the CF spirit alive.

They (kids) want to run and beat their records every season, either is indoor or outdoor. Both they have their championships, both they have their records. I would like to prepare them as best as I can for the season. But you are right.. I think the progress is more important than just one successful season..
    However, my question is, should I put 2x600m into a GPP? Once per week?

Sounds to me like you have a recipe for injury going from skiing to 60m indoors!

Quote Originally Posted by TopCat View Post
    Sounds to me like you have a recipe for injury going from skiing to 60m indoors!
    what should I do? Any advice?

Quote Originally Posted by pavel View Post
    what should I do? Any advice?
    If you have time, try to read the Lactate Threshold discussion on the Forum. One hint - You have SPRINTERS (with some speed?), moving to 400m; they are still young ... WHY do you want to include 600m's in your programme?? Look at the programme examples of Kitkat - I am from the same 'old' school! - you can work on a maximum of 350m distance (occasionally a 500m as part of a test). The athletes WILL be prepared for a 400m.

My feeling is to develop and maintain the speed factor of the athletes .... I do believe that training of 600m doesn't have any purpose in your situation.

Hope I have convinced you!! Good luck with the coaching!