Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Indoor season planning.

Indoor season planning.

Hello all,

I'm 36, training age 3+, PB 12.49 / 25.04. I live in Toronto, so Short to Long is the approach I'll be going with.

I'm planning my indoor season, so first off here are the competition dates:

Main competition: mid-March (est. March 13th)

Competition phase: 8 weeks (mid-January to mid-March)

SPP: 6-8 weeks (December to mid-January)

GPP: 8-10 weeks (October - November)

I have all the CF materials. Looking at the GPP Essentials DVD as well as the Edmonton Short to Long program, I have a couple of questions.

First, on the Short to Long graph, I am only going to go with two speed days, with perhaps some short hills / general fitness on Sundays early on.

Monday: off
    Tuesday: SPEED
    Wednesday: tempo
    Thursday: off
    Friday: SPEED
    Saturday: tempo
    Sunday: short hills, general fitness during GPP, perhaps off later.

With only two speed days, how should I split up the work? Once you progress through the weeks on the Short to Long graph, there are speed change drills, etc. that will be too taxing to complete if I try to fit in a second day of split runs.

I can do the split runs (e.g. 4x4x50) on my first speed day, but in order to get in the quality short work (4x30, EFE / FEF) on the next speed day, would it be possible to instead of doing the split runs on the second speed day to do something longer with limited rest (akin to Long to Short style, e.g. 2x300m or 2x150+150) to make it more tolerable to get the short work done?

Another option could be that I leave the Friday how it's listed in the Short to Long template (with appropriate volume reductions of course) and substitute short hills with limited recovery (4x4x40m) on Sundays, and could add some general fitness work after (3xmedball circuit, abs, Pfaff GS circuits, etc.)

Any comments would be appreciated! I'm trying to do a better job of planning this year.

Once you have built up your distances enough to use the FEF and EFE, your other speed session could be acceleration e.g. 2x3x20m (keeping in mind your pb's) followed by 2x4x60m with an acceleration marker at 20m then maintain. Providing the 2 sessions are far enough apart in days, then you might manage that combination. With general conditioning on other days you should progress. Good idea to use a power med ball session once a week, it helps the start a lot. I have coached guys of 35+ and they need plenty of recovery between intensive sessions. The intensity may not be that high but the body needs it, and more so as you get older. Hope this helps, keep us informed how you get on whatever you choose.

Hi Phil,

I totally agree about the explosive medball throws! Over the summer when I trained down south, my coach felt that was a major hole in my program. I use a general lifting program, so there are no Olympic lifts in there, so I think the lack of explosive throws hurt.

Your idea sounds very good. Will I be OK with just one day of split runs?

When would you do the medball throws? I can do them on one of the speed days (Tuesday or Friday), or on Sundays with some general fitness work.

I would do them first thing on Sundays -give them priority. If on a second day as well, you could reduce the volume.
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit" Aristotle

OK, I could do them Sundays because it will be mostly general fitness and therefore low intensity. I'll be doing medball throws in GPP, and can keep some in on Tuesdays perhaps going forward before runs as that will be my split run day, thus volume will be high but intensity not so high.

I'd imagine they would be more tolerable on a split run day than a pure speed day?

Quote Originally Posted by Nikoluski View Post
    I would do them first thing on Sundays -give them priority. If on a second day as well, you could reduce the volume.
    That's exactly what we do on a Sunday, followed by general work.

Regarding the split runs, I reckon one session will be enough.

Do keep your sprint volumes down, I made the mistake of keeping the volume on the sprinting pretty high, thinking my athletes could handle 4 sets of 60's. And they could, they completed the sessions and were going fine, or so I thought. Even when I reduced the volume and increased the recoveries they just could not get any faster and it took a long time to get it back. I know other users of this site who have had the same problem. I now keep it at 2 sets of 4, even 3 sets left some of them flat.

Hi PhilG,

Thank you VERY much for suggesting the cut volume. I usually run out to 50m (because I'm slow and it will get lactic if I run out to 60m at less than full intensity).

Your point about doing only 2 or 3 sets will be taken very seriously. Last year, I would do basically 4x(4x50m) with almost no rest between the 50m reps. It was basically 50m down, turnaround, and 50m back, and 4 mins between sets.

Looking back, I think this lack of rest probably really killed the quality! I barely shaved any time in the 60m last year, and was always tight and sore.

FYI, following a query by me in the SPP forum, NumberTwo made a pretty cool suggestion about following a mixed program (S to L on Speed Day 1, L to S on Speed Day 2). I will keep everyone posted.

Might I ask for a few ideas for general fitness work? I was thinking Pfaff GS circuits would be one thing, of course the CF medball circuits would be another. I could use a few more ideas though!

I made the same suggestion months ago because that's what I'm doing in SPP..

Quote Originally Posted by T-Slow View Post
    Hi PhilG,

Thank you VERY much for suggesting the cut volume. I usually run out to 50m (because I'm slow and it will get lactic if I run out to 60m at less than full intensity).

Your point about doing only 2 or 3 sets will be taken very seriously. Last year, I would do basically 4x(4x50m) with almost no rest between the 50m reps. It was basically 50m down, turnaround, and 50m back, and 4 mins between sets.

Looking back, I think this lack of rest probably really killed the quality! I barely shaved any time in the 60m last year, and was always tight and sore.

FYI, following a query by me in the SPP forum, NumberTwo made a pretty cool suggestion about following a mixed program (S to L on Speed Day 1, L to S on Speed Day 2). I will keep everyone posted.

Might I ask for a few ideas for general fitness work? I was thinking Pfaff GS circuits would be one thing, of course the CF medball circuits would be another. I could use a few more ideas though!

Its what we are using as well, starting at 300m and dropping down over the SPP1 period.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilG View Post
    Its what we are using as well, starting at 300m and dropping down over the SPP1 period.
    How much rest are you starting with the 300's?