Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 49

Thread: Check out

  1. #21
    Member stilljd_5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    421
    What is his background, where did he learn his stuff.

  2. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    591

    No clue

    I guess in their parts, stuff is good, but the whole programs is too much exposure. Nobody could possible recover from all this.

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by speedcoach View Post
    I guess in their parts, stuff is good, but the whole programs is too much exposure. Nobody could possible recover from all this.
    Nor could you figure out how to fix it!

    You have to focus on the limiting factors of the sport - the things that can not be developed on the ice - the qualities that will impact performance improvement.

    This program tries to hit everything including the kitchen sink!

  4. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    1,801
    Quote Originally Posted by speedcoach View Post
    In our many conversations, it is more of the same. I just never cease to be amazed by this crap. I just like that I get a call to fix these guys when others screw them up. I guess everybody is convinced that the next best thing is right around the corner when it comes to training. It's like "Dave, you were great, but this new guy is the end game of training." I feel like because I am proficient and simplified in my processes that evryone thinks there must be better stuff out there. I am sure there is, but this isn't an example of it.
    It's an issue when some (in this case) the Dad does not know good from bad, apples from oranges and so on.

    They can't see long term results when they walk into a facility (though the dad should be able to see that through his son's results with you) they only see cones, gadgets, toys and so on that we know don't mean much in developing an athlete but they don't. They see what's on the surface and not much else-it's very superficial.

    Because they don't know enough about the subject matter they believe that simplicity and low to moderate volumes can't be enough to be an effective program-wrong again.

    They also reason that if a coach is employed by team x and they are in some top league then he must be the best. Wrong-not only is he possibly not the best but he might not even be all that competent but then the guy who hired him likely knows little of the subject of s & c either.

  5. #25
    Ok It sounds like I need to get in the area of S&C in hockey in my neck of the woods. There's no way I can do worse than this guy plus I know for a fact that most of the people up here drive miles an miles to train. So I may decide to but I will definately try to pick you guys brain before I decide to ( Number 2, Pioneer, ESTI, Speedcoach, etc.) if thats cool cause unlike OTHER coaches Id like to know what Im looking for and at before I jump into something and looking like a FOOL and not know Im talking about.

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by nap View Post
    Like I said, if there is a sport that need help in training its hockey!

    They are completley overtrained or undertrained (little to know training at all).

    This is another example of meat ball soup!
    After all I didnt know jack about hoop but now Im working with several guys not only in college but who play overseas so I must have did something right. (It didnt hurt having a former 9 year nba vet as the assistant coach of the team either to pick his brain either)

  7. #27
    [QUOTE=Highlander;240149]After all I didnt know jack about hoop but now Im working with several guys not only in college but who play overseas so I must have did something right. (It didnt hurt having a former 9 year nba vet as the assistant coach of the team either to pick his brain either)[/QUOTE

    Its just problem solving skills - if your good at that and have common sense you will be able to make a big difference!

  8. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    591

    Well said

    It helps to know the demands of the game. I look at everything from the most simple to the more complex. My one player is a top rated 95 in the USA. He is 15 yrs old and we have worked together since he was 10. Back in the beginning he was doing bodyweight exercises and light dumbells with his older sisters. At 13, we started doing real resistance work. My goal was just to increase his organism strength. We did basic movements higher reps. He has always been emotionally mature, so we were building on things. He squatted weight so effortlessly that it was scary. He box squatted 225 for 10 easy in 7th grade. Going into 9th grade, he was squatting more than some of my college football players. This year, I peeled him back on lower body while getting him stronger through his upper body all while trying to minimize hypertrophy. He is 5'10" 175 and he benched 195x3 the other day. I don't really care about numbers, just that the trend is up year after year. His rowing strength is of importance because I worry about shoulder injuries and posture due to nature of the sport. Under our program he has been the leading scorer every year in Tier 1 hockey on a national champion team. What I am most proud of is he has never missed a practice, game, or shift due to injury. God willing, he has the tools to go big time. His family advisor(agent) reps 20+ NHL players and think he will be an elite NHL forward. I know next year he will likely be on US team out of Ann Arbor so it may be my last summer with him.

  9. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    591
    I am so used to being under estimated for what I do. Nothing sexy, no fancy gadgets just practical methods I have learned from the greats like Charlie and Ian. Add to that 25+ years in the weight rooms and sport, I feel like I may know a bit about this athletic prep thing. It is so irritating when people think because someone is employed by a team they must know more than us private sector guys. I never wanted to do that. I made more money than 90% of these guys and did it on my own terms. We have owned 2 facilities and still, because I don't pull out all the latest gadgets, I am questioned. I just tell parents, look at the scholarships and combine results. Our kids are routinely some of the fastest and all I use is cones and a stop watch. No FastTwitch 7000 proprioceptive unstable surface speed generator proven to make your kid 262% faster in university studies. Sorry couldn't resist being a smartass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pioneer View Post
    It's an issue when some (in this case) the Dad does not know good from bad, apples from oranges and so on.

    They can't see long term results when they walk into a facility (though the dad should be able to see that through his son's results with you) they only see cones, gadgets, toys and so on that we know don't mean much in developing an athlete but they don't. They see what's on the surface and not much else-it's very superficial.

    Because they don't know enough about the subject matter they believe that simplicity and low to moderate volumes can't be enough to be an effective program-wrong again.

    They also reason that if a coach is employed by team x and they are in some top league then he must be the best. Wrong-not only is he possibly not the best but he might not even be all that competent but then the guy who hired him likely knows little of the subject of s & c either.

  10. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by speedcoach View Post
    I am so used to being under estimated for what I do. Nothing sexy, no fancy gadgets just practical methods I have learned from the greats like Charlie and Ian. Add to that 25+ years in the weight rooms and sport, I feel like I may know a bit about this athletic prep thing. It is so irritating when people think because someone is employed by a team they must know more than us private sector guys. I never wanted to do that. I made more money than 90% of these guys and did it on my own terms. We have owned 2 facilities and still, because I don't pull out all the latest gadgets, I am questioned. I just tell parents, look at the scholarships and combine results. Our kids are routinely some of the fastest and all I use is cones and a stop watch. No FastTwitch 7000 proprioceptive unstable surface speed generator proven to make your kid 262% faster in university studies. Sorry couldn't resist being a smartass.
    LMBO! Well said! I get the exact same thing. Like you I dont pull out all gadgets (ladders, chutes, weight vests, etc) and just get results. I think the biggest injury I ever had with 1 of my athletes training with me is a cramp in his side. Of course after stretching for about 1 min give or take, a shot of water an we were back in business.
    But seriously if you guys out there dont know SPEED COACH AND ESTI are some guys who you seriously should try to talk to. Im blessed I get to talk to them whenever there free.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •