Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Check out

What drives me crazy is that he obviously trained and played his way to USHL and under our program, he was never injured. Never missed one game or practice. Now in one summer, trashes both hamstrings. It pisses me off because I was at his grad party and his Dad who loved everything I did before says " You know Dave, his training is all about speed now. Thats the way the game is going" I was thinking, he must have been fast enough to get signed by the team, and he wasn't injured. Now I get the job of doing ART, stim, and deep tissue trying to get him healthy. What can you do?
    Quote Originally Posted by Pioneer View Post
    Let me follow up with Day 4 .
    Hospital.

Wow, where to start with all of that?! Training to failure?! So does the "coach" in question have any idea about the lifting skill of the athlete in question from which to prescribe lifts they will train to failure? I love the 1-2 minute rests-so one set can be okay and then it's downhill from there.

I think they need more volume .

As long as you tell people to do everything explosively everything will be okay.

So they are doing a mile run then sprints? Did I read that correctly?

Pull-ups wide reverse grip? Does that mean wide grip chin-ups?

This is the train everything poorly today program and repeat tomorrow.

I agree. I would punch him in the F'ing mouth if I could. I would love to ask him his rationale behind his program. It is the old throw a pile of shit at the wall and see what sticks. He is not a good coach, but he must be better than me because he works for a USHL team. Haha.
    Quote Originally Posted by major View Post
    That coach should be put in jail. Seriously he is robbing that athlete of a healthy career

Quote Originally Posted by speedcoach View Post
    What drives me crazy is that he obviously trained and played his way to USHL and under our program, he was never injured. Never missed one game or practice. Now in one summer, trashes both hamstrings. It pisses me off because I was at his grad party and his Dad who loved everything I did before says " You know Dave, his training is all about speed now. Thats the way the game is going" I was thinking, he must have been fast enough to get signed by the team, and he wasn't injured. Now I get the job of doing ART, stim, and deep tissue trying to get him healthy. What can you do?
    Sounds like someone sold the dad a bill of goods of how the kid needed to be trained without the experience(of the dad) from which to assess what is necessary in achieving that speed development.

In what way is that training going to accomplish his development of speed that his dad talks about? He likely does not enough to make such an evaluation.

I guess you are not in position to train the kid anymore but I wonder if it would be any use contacting the dad to let him know about the problems with the crap you have posted here.

Pioneer

It would unfortunately fall on deaf ears. It seems as though because someone is in a position as a team S&C coach, he is instantly correct on everything. I liken it to when people criticize Barwis for the things he does and the first reply is "Well he works for such and such, why aren't you if you know so much?" His dad saw tremendous improvement over the years but suddenly, he is taking it to the next level. I love the kid but can't save him from this if nobody is willing to listen. I feel like I am going to be saying "I told you so" when he gets hurt. Oh well, what can you do.

It would unfortunately fall on deaf ears. It seems as though because someone is in a position as a team S&C coach, he is instantly correct on everything. I liken it to when people criticize Barwis for the things he does and the first reply is "Well he works for such and such, why aren't you if you know so much?" His dad saw tremendous improvement over the years but suddenly, he is taking it to the next level. I love the kid but can't save him from this if nobody is willing to listen. I feel like I am going to be saying "I told you so" when he gets hurt. Oh well, what can you do.
    Unless you asked for these workouts, I am guessing that the kid knows there is a problem with this new program and that's why he sent them to you? Does the kid know the crap he's doing now is an issue?

Pioneer

I asked him for them. When I was doing massage on legs today, he kind of admitted he hated the speed days. He said it felt endless. I said its not speed, it's endurance work. Too little rest. He knows better, but he is a compliant kid. I think he just wants to make an impression so he can get a college offer. He doesn't want to make waves. He is a great kid, I just hate having to sit and watch this happen. I pray it doesn't ruin him.

Ok my knees hurt just even thinking about doin all of this crap! If this is the kid we talked about some time ago, dude I seriously have his dad raise all kinds of fuss over this idiotic program!

No different kid

In our many conversations, it is more of the same. I just never cease to be amazed by this crap. I just like that I get a call to fix these guys when others screw them up. I guess everybody is convinced that the next best thing is right around the corner when it comes to training. It's like "Dave, you were great, but this new guy is the end game of training." I feel like because I am proficient and simplified in my processes that evryone thinks there must be better stuff out there. I am sure there is, but this isn't an example of it.

Like I said, if there is a sport that need help in training its hockey!

They are completley overtrained or undertrained (little to know training at all).

This is another example of meat ball soup!

Nap, you are so correct it's scary. I was blown away when my kid e-mailed me the program. It is such a load of dung. Like I said, I would love to sit with this guy and have him explain the rationale behind the program. Apparently all the athletes he trains lack nervous systems and endocrine systems.
    Quote Originally Posted by nap View Post
    Like I said, if there is a sport that need help in training its hockey!

They are completley overtrained or undertrained (little to know training at all).

This is another example of meat ball soup!