Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Hamstring Exercises

To be honest, I have not read alot into Frans Bosch's work. However agreeing that hip extension should be the main focus of training of the hamstrings.

The next question I pose is if knee flexion should be avoided how is it that nordic's and glute ham raises are widely popularised has effective prehabilitation exercises? What are the difference's in these exercises that make them effective?

I agree that leg curls are not a wise choice in a healthy athlete what are your thoughts to their limited use in a rehabilitation setting?

Personally, if I had to choose between hamstring curls and the exercise depicted by highjumper10- I would go with the exercise depicted.

We use the exercise depicted as well as sub-max yielding hamstring curls for certain rehabilitative measures as well as very sub-max loads as part of active recovery (get blood flow going through the pumping action then move on to various forms of stretching); however, as a developmental or auxiliary element during day to day training I use hip extension moves exclusively for my skill players for reasons already discussed.

I answered a question the other day on EFS that partly addresses this issue as well:
    Hamstring Question

So in your opinion knee flexion are compatitable training means for muscle-cross sections when sprinting volumes/ running speeds are minimal.

In block A in your training when your using hills or in a CF GPP program running velocitys are lower and hamstring stress is thus reduced, would you then deem knee flexion as a appriopiate training means?

I must thank you for your comprehensive answers. I feel privaliged to be able to correspond with someone of your knowledge half way around the world.

Quote Originally Posted by jake winwood View Post
    So in your opinion knee flexion are compatitable training means for muscle-cross sections when sprinting volumes/ running speeds are minimal.

In block A in your training when your using hills or in a CF GPP program running velocitys are lower and hamstring stress is thus reduced, would you then deem knee flexion as a appriopiate training means?

I must thank you for your comprehensive answers. I feel privaliged to be able to correspond with someone of your knowledge half way around the world.
    While I ackowledge that the knee flexion movements pose less of an issue for very short acceleration work; I still favor hip extension moves.

Thus for clarification sake, I , personally, only use the flexion movements for select rehabilitative and restorative situations.

While the hamstrings are less active during early acceleration- their role as a hip extensor remains the dominant one. It then stands to reason they should be trained accordingly

So in my block A for my American footballers, I select to train the hamstrings appropriately as a hip extensor yet more aggressively via RDLs. The greater loading via the RDLs is well tolerated due to the lesser hamstring demand of the hill sprints.

Then, as we progress to flat ground and longer and/or faster sprints, which place more stress on the hamstrings, I back off on the weight training load and eliminate the RDLs in favor of back extensions.

This transition is smooth because its purely subtracctive. Meaning, we always perform back extensions as an auxiliary move; so its simply a matter of eliminating the RDLs and continuing with the back extensions.

Thanks for the kind words.

Quote Originally Posted by James Smith View Post
    While I ackowledge that the knee flexion movements pose less of an issue for very short acceleration work; I still favor hip extension moves.

Thus for clarification sake, I , personally, only use the flexion movements for select rehabilitative and restorative situations.

While the hamstrings are less active during early acceleration- their role as a hip extensor remains the dominant one. It then stands to reason they should be trained accordingly

So in my block A for my American footballers, I select to train the hamstrings appropriately as a hip extensor yet more aggressively via RDLs. The greater loading via the RDLs is well tolerated due to the lesser hamstring demand of the hill sprints.

Then, as we progress to flat ground and longer and/or faster sprints, which place more stress on the hamstrings, I back off on the weight training load and eliminate the RDLs in favor of back extensions.

This transition is smooth because its purely subtracctive. Meaning, we always perform back extensions as an auxiliary move; so its simply a matter of eliminating the RDLs and continuing with the back extensions.

Thanks for the kind words.
    Ha I knew I was following someone that is considered 1 of the best! Whenever I did the leg curls they hurt the back of my knee also ( I had a torn acl). But when I do the others they dont hurt at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander View Post
    Ha I knew I was following someone that is considered 1 of the best! Whenever I did the leg curls they hurt the back of my knee also ( I had a torn acl). But when I do the others they dont hurt at all.
    Thanks for the words.

Note to those who do, for whatever reason, perform hamstrings as a knee flexor exercise with regularity (regardless if it is a GHR or leg curl)- it is in your interest to, if possible, adjust the device such that the fulcrum is closer to the middle of your thigh in order to place the stress on the muscle belly's. The closer the fulcrum is to the knee joint the more stress you'll experience to the posterior knee joint structures.

Keep the quad strong and, especially as a sprinter, you shouldn't have any problem at all.
    generally in the weightroom i concentrate much more on my posterior chain development. should i consider adding more quad development exercises to help my pcl, or would squatting once a week, sprinting 3 days a week, some plyos and power cleans once a week be sufficient?

Quote Originally Posted by tb2010 View Post
    generally in the weightroom i concentrate much more on my posterior chain development. should i consider adding more quad development exercises to help my pcl, or would squatting once a week, sprinting 3 days a week, some plyos and power cleans once a week be sufficient?
    From a weight training standpoint I would not presume to instruct you on what to do as a whole because I would need to see your entire annual plan, including all training elements, to comment intelligently; and this, with all due respect, is beyond the scope of what I'm willing to do.

Keep in mind, however, that posterior chain work need not be emphasized much past GPP, for a sprinter performing a S-L program, in my view, due to the increased involvement of the posterior chain as the sprint distances become longer.

Speaking strictly from the standpoint of training for your PCL deficiency, it's important for you to understand that the quadriceps will now become more important to assist in preventing posterior translation of the lower leg (since the PCL is compromised); however, as a sprinter you shouldn't have to be concerned against encountering acute hyper extension traumas that are common in contact sports which may induce posterior translation of the lower leg.

So, if you are feeling fine and your sprint work is going well I would advise against adding extra work.

While certain patella tendon issues are more likely to flair up when the PCL is compromised- if your quad strength is sufficient I don't see you having any problems.

Where do Trap Bar DL's and Clean Style DL's fit in the discussion of hamstrings and fatigue?

Initially, if it's easier to load an athlete( high school girl) up with Trap Bar DL's vs Full Back Squat, does it also remain easier to maintain while moving through speed progressions?

From a weight training standpoint I would not presume to instruct you on what to do as a whole because I would need to see your entire annual plan, including all training elements, to comment intelligently; and this, with all due respect, is beyond the scope of what I'm willing to do.

Keep in mind, however, that posterior chain work need not be emphasized much past GPP, for a sprinter performing a S-L program, in my view, due to the increased involvement of the posterior chain as the sprint distances become longer.

Speaking strictly from the standpoint of training for your PCL deficiency, it's important for you to understand that the quadriceps will now become more important to assist in preventing posterior translation of the lower leg (since the PCL is compromised); however, as a sprinter you shouldn't have to be concerned against encountering acute hyper extension traumas that are common in contact sports which may induce posterior translation of the lower leg.

So, if you are feeling fine and your sprint work is going well I would advise against adding extra work.

While certain patella tendon issues are more likely to flair up when the PCL is compromised- if your quad strength is sufficient I don't see you having any problems.
    good points. every once in a while i feel pain in the back of my pcl deficient knee, but usually only after certain hamstring exercises or when sprinting on grass after sprinting for a while on harder surfaces.

if the knee pain ever becomes chronic then ill consider adding more quad work

thanks