Thread: Strength Training

Strength Training

Starting a new year with a 8 week gpp, how should the weight training look like in this phase for the core lifts? I searched the forum and seen mostly 6-12reps, would it be more efficient to perform more sets and less reps ex: 6x5.

I would probably keep it old school esp if you are a beginner.

Pre GPP:
    1-2: 2x15

GPP:
    1-2: 3x12
    3-4: 3x10
    5-6: 3x8
    7-8: 4x6

This will lead nicely into your MS phase.

1: 3x5
    2: 554
    3: 544
    etc etc

I kinda agree with you rb34 about keeping it old school. My question is what are you training for exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander View Post
    I kinda agree with you rb34 about keeping it old school. My question is what are you training for exactly?
    What would you do?

Track- Sprinter 60-400m..

Rb34, I think the only difference is I wouldnt go as high with his reps, Id keep them below 10 even in week 1. Also I think it depends on how many exercises he's goin to be doing. The problem when you get into 3-4 sets is athletes tend to be in the weight room beyond an hour. Remember Lacrossetrack your a sprinter, not a bodybuilder.

Rb34, I think the only difference is I wouldnt go as high with his reps, Id keep them below 10 even in week 1. Also I think it depends on how many exercises he's goin to be doing. The problem when you get into 3-4 sets is athletes tend to be in the weight room beyond an hour. Remember Lacrossetrack your a sprinter, not a bodybuilder.
    The 15reps is pre gpp after taking 2-3 weeks off and mainly consist of bodyweight movements. Are you thinking:

1-3: 3x8
    4-6: 4x6
    7-8: 5x5

I would think the number of movements wouldn't be more then 4 or 5.

ol's
    squat
    press
    post chain
    upper pull

[QUOTE=RB34;238466]The 15reps is pre gpp after taking 2-3 weeks off and mainly consist of bodyweight movements. Are you thinking:

That looks more like what I would do. If thats all the exercises he's doing then yeah. My only thing with the 5x5 is how much strength is he trying to build.

We did Boyd Epley program in high school and it always started with 4-6 weeks of 3x10, it seem to work well overall. O-line avg damn near 300lbs. This year for my gpp I'm starting with several weeks of 3x10.

What's your thoughts on density training in gpp for example 8x5 resting 45-60sec?

[QUOTE=Highlander;238480]
    Quote Originally Posted by RB34 View Post
    The 15reps is pre gpp after taking 2-3 weeks off and mainly consist of bodyweight movements. Are you thinking:

That looks more like what I would do. If thats all the exercises he's doing then yeah. My only thing with the 5x5 is how much strength is he trying to build.

I don't like to give X amount of reps at x amount of time line. It can be used as a guide, but thats it.
    I like to look at form and how they are handling the weight (or distance ran).
    If 4 wks have been and gone and they are doing the required reps in sets etc but their form sucks too much, i'll get them to hold in that phase a little while longer or incorporate some sort of rehab movement between sets.
    eg - bench press - sometimes the chest becomes too tight, so a little bit of foam rolling with a ball in the chest, or even some really light Fly's where the dumbbells go right down and touch the ground to really stretch the chest out. 2 light sets of that goes a long way.

I also like a small de-load wk before moving on. so in the eg shown in the post above
    1-3: 3 x 8
    4 - deload
    4-7: 4 x 6
    8: delaod
    etc etc

Too many people rush weights. Blown rotor cuffs, sore shoulders, frozen shoulders, no progress etc etc.

p.s. - i'm not saying you guys have bad form or suffer from tightness etc. I'm just saying what i do.