Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Diet for Hypertrophy

Diet for Hypertrophy

Ive heard that eating A LOT helps muscular hypertrophy, so would this mean that diet would change from gpp to spp if eating a lot to increase muscle size was causing higher body fat? Because I know that sprinters want to have low body fat, but often people trying to add muscle tend to almost overeat. As far as diet for a sprinter goes, during a hypertrophy phase, is adding body fat worth it?

Eating a LOT is not required to grow although you need a surplus of calroies. But there is a rate limit on how fast you can gain muscle. Eat more than what you need to cover that and you just get fat.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/mus...-gains-qa.html

Quote Originally Posted by teabagallday View Post
    Ive heard that eating A LOT helps muscular hypertrophy, so would this mean that diet would change from gpp to spp if eating a lot to increase muscle size was causing higher body fat? Because I know that sprinters want to have low body fat, but often people trying to add muscle tend to almost overeat. As far as diet for a sprinter goes, during a hypertrophy phase, is adding body fat worth it?
    Neither muscle nor fat accumulate overnight. Its also difficult to gain muscle without gaining some fat. Increase your intake and keep track of your weight and bodyfat%. If the weight you're adding has a muscle/fat ratio that doesn't increase your bodyfat% much, you're probably not eating too much. If you're the weight you're gaining has a muscle/fat ratio that increases your bodyfat%, you should probably cut back until you reach a more appropriate level.

yeah, sounds about right, is there any easy way to keep track of body fat%?

Quote Originally Posted by teabagallday View Post
    yeah, sounds about right, is there any easy way to keep track of body fat%?
    Mirror.............

yeah, i guess that could work, im a kind of skinny dude, so im not sure i could really tell any flucuations in body fat from a mirror though...

My weighing scales have built in Bioelectrical impedance analysis...measures your body fat by sending a small electrical current up one leg and down the other. Not sure as to how accurate it is though, it has me at 5.9%.

fogelson
    Yes, you have a Tanita scale or something similar. It is quite inaccurate--to the point of nearly being useless.

ive read that the problem with scales like that are that how hydrated u r severely affects the body fat% it gives u

Yea, it does say that in the manual to be honest, though it normally doesnt vary more than half a percent regardless of how hydrated i am, but there's no way im 6% bf haha