Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 154

Thread: Isorbic Exerciser (high octane article) implementing the line

  1. #1

    Isorbic Exerciser (high octane article) implementing the line

    I am going to purchase the tapes first as advised but in the article Charlie says that he connects a line to the Isorbic Exerciser. I just would like further feedback on this and how I am suppose to apply it to the athletes on the track.

    Thank you.

  2. #2
    it's just a device that you can use for resitance training where you can dial the resistance up or down. It's very nice and not cumbersome.

  3. #3
    Member boldwarrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Brisbane - Qld - Aust
    Posts
    3,128
    Try just using a Sled with weight on it!

  4. #4
    Administrator Charlie Francis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    10,477
    A few differences between a sled and an isorobic exerciser (IEx).
    The sled has the most resistance at the start and less as speed increases, while the IEx has more constant resistance, The sled is dependant on the friction coefficient of the surface while the IEx is not.
    The sled is heavy and very difficult to travel with while the IEx is not.
    The sled would have the edge on turnaround speed when you have a large group to work with (if you go in both directions) and you must take care with the IEx not to run past the point where the cable will hit the end before you can stop and you must ensure that the feed line is clear of any possible obstruction.

  5. #5
    Member boldwarrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Brisbane - Qld - Aust
    Posts
    3,128
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Francis
    A few differences between a sled and an isorobic exerciser (IEx).
    The sled has the most resistance at the start and less as speed increases, while the IEx has more constant resistance, .
    So i wonder which one would be better for the starting phase? the first 10m from a block position takes around 2sec. then thereafter each 10m = roughly 1sec, so if a sled has more resistance at the start and decreases during top speed, this would make good use of the extra power one needs from a starting perpective due to the extra strengh one needs to pull start the sled during the first 10m then as speed increases one needs less resistance to maintaine sprint posture and that is what the sled tends to do, so best of both worlds then?

  6. #6
    Administrator Charlie Francis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    10,477
    Quote Originally Posted by boldwarrior
    So i wonder which one would be better for the starting phase? the first 10m from a block position takes around 2sec. then thereafter each 10m = roughly 1sec, so if a sled has more resistance at the start and decreases during top speed, this would make good use of the extra power one needs from a starting perpective due to the extra strengh one needs to pull start the sled during the first 10m then as speed increases one needs less resistance to maintaine sprint posture and that is what the sled tends to do, so best of both worlds then?
    The sled would run into the back of the blocks.

  7. #7
    Senior Member kitkat1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    10,679

    :o One for The Book

    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Francis
    The sled would run into the back of the blocks.
    ADD This to the "Best of Charlie" lines please whoever is compiling The Book! What a classic retort...

  8. #8

    Sled v Blocks

    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Francis
    The sled would run into the back of the blocks.
    I have actually used a sled whilst doing starts. We place the sled at a rough 45 degree angle. I have never had the sled hit the block. The sled is placed on your rear block side.
    Placing the sled on your lead block side causes slight drift to that side.

  9. #9
    Member boldwarrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Brisbane - Qld - Aust
    Posts
    3,128
    I thought a three point start would be the obvious!

  10. #10

    Talking Isorobic exerciser

    I bought an isorobic exerciser. Came through the post a few days ago I have completed my first sessions. Prior to that I was using a sled or tyre. There is no comparison. The IEx is king. The elastic response from your foot and calf muscles are noticeable. You do not get that with the sled or tyre, you can dial up a specific resistance suited to your speed/power capabilities. You are ABLE TO AND ARE AWARE OF EXECUTING TRIPLE EXTENSION!!!! You don't get this with the tyre, of course you maybe doing so but you are not aware because there is no BOUNCE no elastic response. I can feel my legs and calves working properly. Above all, the resistance is smooth.

    Bottom line: Do not try to re-invent the wheel, do not disregard this piece of equipment as just some contraption that can be equalled by a tyre or sled. Take the advice of CF, acquire one. I am certain that this is the link between max strength and specific strength for the start acceleration.

    Enough said

Similar Threads

  1. under/overload
    By jalbert in forum Biomechanics and Physiology
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-05-2003, 05:14 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •