Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9

Thread: Body fat levels for elite male sprinters?

IT's good 8% for a sprinter, is true? and your Z.score?

I know this is an older thread, but I have a practical question related to training and bodyfat. And I am genuinely looking for a response, I'm not simply asking this rhetorically to be snide.

Charlie has generally recommended about 6000m of tempo (or rough equivalent) and about 4000+ reps of core work per week for 100-200m sprinters.

Has anyone on this forum managed to build up to that volume of low intensity work and maintained it consistently for several months, let alone the majority of the year? I freely admit I have not (I know, excuses, excuses). But I would really like to hear from anyone who has.

I have a strong feeling that if someone did consistently perform that volume of low intensity work for at least three months most of the concern over bodyfat and nutritional micromanagement would fall by the wayside as non-issues. Charlie told me several years ago this is the component of the training that he has the hardest time getting people to take seriously and be consistent in performing.

i usually do 6000 m of tempo run/week but i can't do such a lot of Core work. usually i do
    300 x 6/week of abdominal wo
    and 300 x 1-2 week of med ball low intensity.
    i want to start to increase it...expecially med ball. but i find it very hard, because it require a lot of time.

but it really helps for the metabolism and body fat reduction. I spent a lot of time of my life dieting to stay lean..but since I start to do it, I started to have to eat a lot of food to LIVE (for example if i don't eat a lot, sometimes even biscuits and pizza) i can't mantain my weight, but loss a lot of kg's

Quote Originally Posted by Flash View Post
    I have a strong feeling that if someone did consistently perform that volume of low intensity work for at least three months most of the concern over bodyfat and nutritional micromanagement would fall by the wayside as non-issues.
    I have found this to be the case with low intensity work in general, not specifically with ab work (I haven't tried). Better recovery and athletes lean out with less effort and 'micromanaging'. Perhaps the effect is similar to that when people add a 30 minute walk at night to their training and find themselves much leaner in the time frame you mentioned.

Do you believe the effect comes from the specific exercises (i.e. targetting the midsection) or simply through a large volume of work that does not directly compete for CNS reserves or utilize the prime movers?

Thanks.

specific exercises ( abs) or large volume of work ( tempo) are both work and will make a difference in keeping you lean or getting lean but I dont think anything works quite as well as tempo especially for woman. IMO diet plays a much larger role in your ability to train consistently, your ability to recover and both of these factors will effect overall how lean you will become. Sleep as mentioned is critical ( and all things regenerative) and most people don't get enough sleep or the quality of the sleep is not consistent.

Quote Originally Posted by Angela Coon View Post
    specific exercises ( abs) or large volume of work ( tempo) are both work and will make a difference in keeping you lean or getting lean but I dont think anything works quite as well as tempo especially for woman. IMO diet plays a much larger role in your ability to train consistently, your ability to recover and both of these factors will effect overall how lean you will become. Sleep as mentioned is critical ( and all things regenerative) and most people don't get enough sleep or the quality of the sleep is not consistent.
    I totally agree, tempo work is key. I found I'm leaner when I am doing longer tempo runs 200-300m range vs 100m..

Quote Originally Posted by RB34 View Post
    I totally agree, tempo work is key. I found I'm leaner when I am doing longer tempo runs 200-300m range vs 100m..
    With similar total tempo volume?

Quote Originally Posted by rainy.here View Post
    With similar total tempo volume?
    No! A lot less, I never go over 1800m and no more then 2x per week. For example 6x200 rest 2-3mins or 4x300 rest 5-6mins.

Re: Body fat levels for elite male sprinters?

Does anyone know what the average body fat percentage of an elite level male sprinter would be when measured by Dexa scan?