Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Body fat levels for elite male sprinters?

Benny22

Body fat levels for elite male sprinters?

What approximately is the body fat range for world class male sprinters (lowest and highest)? I remember Clemson stating once that none of the top sprinters in the world are 10 per cent...

Body fat percentages will vary between genders, but for men, you will see a range from 5-10%. It also varies on how the percentage was measured. Intramuscular fat stores cannot be meausured unless you use a Dunk Tank or better yet DEXA.

Is it an optical illusion or do black male sprinters seem more cut up than the white guys??

I believe its due to the colour of their skin

Thats why bodybuilders tan before contests, it brings out "the cuts" more.

Then again they could just be pasty white dough boys
    D.

Carl Lewis got his bodyfat down to 3% after changing his diet in 1989. Before that, it was apparantly 6%. Ian Mackie, a white sprinter from Britain has 4.5% bodyfat.

Me, I'm one of those guys that has to moniter bodyfat levels. My aim is to get down to 4.5%, and if I have to have a Bruce Lee (1.5% at the time of "Enter the Dragon&quot lifestyle to get down to 4.5% then so be it.:karate:

Be carefull not to overdo your fat reduction :karate: It will only have a negative effect on your hormonal status and in the long run, decrease your power output.

anyone obsessed with lowering their BF should check out Clarence Bass's web site (www.cbass.com). He's a Master's body builder... and lean like hell: Diet is the key.

While I don't endorse some of their methods, I believe one should focus on the training and everything will fall in place.

Benny22
    Goose 1: I highly doubt the body fat levels you are stating! As far as I know, some bodybuilding dude (I don't remember his name) had the lowest BF level ever (measured by hydrostatic weighing) of 2.4%.

Watch out not to lose too much fat, since it is an excellent hormonal modulator. Leaner doesn't necessarily mean faster. In fact, I gained a bit of fat lately, and my performance increased compared to the time I was quite lean (6-7%). I believe, for every athlete there is a certain BF level that shouldn't be passed.

Any opinions on this?

In addition to diet, training and genetics, remember that stress also affects body fat levels via cortisol secretion. Increases in bodyfat or a resistance to reduction might be an indication of too much stress (i.e. not enough recovery).