Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Weighed Sled Drags Question

Weighed Sled Drags Question

I have a question for the expert coaches...

I was looking at the thread about coach Steven Francis and how he said he does weighted sled drags for up to 6 months out of the year..

Well, not to jump on the bandwagon but I think this is an excellent idea and I would like to know how to properly incorporate the weighted sled drags into the Long to Short program.

For example, on the L to S graph where the shaded area says acceleration can I just use the weighted sleds for say two weeks then back of on the 3rd week? Should I use the same distance stated on the graph?

Quote Originally Posted by 100m001 View Post
    I have a question for the expert coaches...

I was looking at the thread about coach Steven Francis and how he said he does weighted sled drags for up to 6 months out of the year..

Well, not to jump on the bandwagon but I think this is an excellent idea and I would like to know how to properly incorporate the weighted sled drags into the Long to Short program.

For example, on the L to S graph where the shaded area says acceleration can I just use the weighted sleds for say two weeks then back of on the 3rd week? Should I use the same distance stated on the graph?
    In my L-to S set-up, I'd use the sled in the area where you see starts etc and over the distances shown in that section- up to 30m.

I began to do just that this year for my high school team until I realized with my 2 sleds and 20 kids, we'd be doing sled work until 8pm!

I have since added push up starts (chest on ground) for 10 and 20 meters at the end of their warm up. I have seen very nice improvements in form and speed during acceleration over the past 3 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by ESTI View Post
    I began to do just that this year for my high school team until I realized with my 2 sleds and 20 kids, we'd be doing sled work until 8pm!

I have since added push up starts (chest on ground) for 10 and 20 meters at the end of their warm up. I have seen very nice improvements in form and speed during acceleration over the past 3 weeks.
    Why you cant make your own sleds for about 50 bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by tamfb View Post
    I only get paid $200 to coach for the season!

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Francis View Post
    In my L-to S set-up, I'd use the sled in the area where you see starts etc and over the distances shown in that section- up to 30m.
    You mean where each time it says blocks right? For example on week 4 in Acceleration:

4x20
    4x10 Blocks <--- I would use the sled here
    4x30 Blocks <--- I would use the sled here

correct?

Quote Originally Posted by tamfb View Post

Would you care to elaborate? I have the belt and the chain and the weight I just need the metal part the weight slides on and I don't really want to buy one for 100+ bucks...

You can use a tire too. I believe PJ had Olu doing that. you can put 5 or 10 lb plates inside the tire. Go to a junk yard and take your choice, go to home improvement store to get a hook, and a long nylon cord with a belt and you are all set.

Could someone briefly run me through the instructions for setting up a tire for pulling(construction wise)?

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by ESTI View Post
    You can use a tire too. I believe PJ had Olu doing that. you can put 5 or 10 lb plates inside the tire. Go to a junk yard and take your choice, go to home improvement store to get a hook, and a long nylon cord with a belt and you are all set.

YOUR RIGHT!! I forgot about this! I made one out of a simi truck tire about a year ago when I was heavily (still am) into powerlifting and I used it on Sundays to drag up and down the streets in a industrial area.

Tires are easy to find as many people throw them on the side of the road/freeway which is where I found mine.