Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: SPP question

Charlie,

I've been following a s-L similar to the van charts with some minor changes.

So far the first 3 weeks have been great. Next week starts the first de-load week (wk 4) Each week has seen PRs, even at 95% effort (mostly from relaxation vs trying so hard).

We have planned 2 x 4 wk blocks (3+1) with wk 9 being two testing days, which are considered extremely important.

Is the week 8 de-load week enough of a taper effect for a possible peak in week 9? It would be a modified week 8:

all 30m accels are 20yd accels, and the speed limits are 10m less than stated. The SE work had a base of only one set of 3 in wk 1-3.

fogelson
    What level are the athletes and what are the volumes like on the high and low intensity work?

Depending on the extent of the deload and what you're deloading from, that should be plenty of taper to get pretty significant effects. If we're talking about younger athletes like I believe you work with (high school), that might be all you need from a deloading standpoint really.

Whatever you do, if you're consistently getting PRs, don't change things too much regardless of what is 'supposed' to be correct. If the PRs are across the board, consistent, and people are staying healthy, just stick to the plan.

Quote Originally Posted by ESTI View Post
    Charlie,

I've been following a s-L similar to the van charts with some minor changes.

So far the first 3 weeks have been great. Next week starts the first de-load week (wk 4) Each week has seen PRs, even at 95% effort (mostly from relaxation vs trying so hard).

We have planned 2 x 4 wk blocks (3+1) with wk 9 being two testing days, which are considered extremely important.

Is the week 8 de-load week enough of a taper effect for a possible peak in week 9? It would be a modified week 8:

all 30m accels are 20yd accels, and the speed limits are 10m less than stated. The SE work had a base of only one set of 3 in wk 1-3.
    Bump and update...

Finished 3rd week and saw more PRs. This is rare for me since this athlete trains, and chills at home, then trains with me again, and chills some more. No interference from outside factors etc. He is able to go through lots of recovery methods like microstretching, mineral salt baths, hot colt showers, massage, foam rolling, heat cream, and chiropractic.

We have yet to have set dates of his pro days. I anticipate them to be in the next 5 weeks-6 weeks.

Charlie, during the "comp" period of a typical SPP1 with meets every few days, what might a workout in between "races" consist of? I'd guess sub max work, and am curious how you manage intensity limits and volumes

Right now our schedule is
    Tues (speed), Thur (speed/tempo after), Fri (agility, position drills).

Quote Originally Posted by ESTI View Post
    Bump and update...

Finished 3rd week and saw more PRs. This is rare for me since this athlete trains, and chills at home, then trains with me again, and chills some more. No interference from outside factors etc. He is able to go through lots of recovery methods like microstretching, mineral salt baths, hot colt showers, massage, foam rolling, heat cream, and chiropractic.

We have yet to have set dates of his pro days. I anticipate them to be in the next 5 weeks-6 weeks.

Charlie, during the "comp" period of a typical SPP1 with meets every few days, what might a workout in between "races" consist of? I'd guess sub max work, and am curious how you manage intensity limits and volumes

Right now our schedule is
    Tues (speed), Thur (speed/tempo after), Fri (agility, position drills).
    With meets crammed together, all running work between is sub max though it is possible to lift fairly heavy for very few reps with upper body only.

Another update, today it seemed he cramped (I hope, and not a pull). Taking precaution for 7-10 days. Send four week block will have to be modified. Not sure how yet. Will see how treatment goes.

Just when everything was going so great.....

Re: SPP question

I bought inside the spp and i have the appendix where it shows the phase I speed progression graph for a short to long program. Under Monday It has a speed endurance column, it has an intensity limit column, and to the right of the intensity limit column it has another column. I can't read what the title is, but under it it has 4x30 for example on week 1. It is highlighted in yellow. Does anybody know what the title of this column is?

I'm not sure specifically about the appendix from Inside the SPP (though I have it) but the SPP S to L chart (pretty sure we are talking about the same chart) I have next to the int. limit is Strength endurance-A runs aka running As for the indicated distances wk 1) 4 x 30 wk 2) 5 x 30 wk 3)6 x 30 and so on.

okay....thank you. you hit the nail on the head...that's exactly what i wanted to know.