Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Question for CF:

With such a short time period, I would have one short speed day and one spilt run day then move into typical SE work.

Early season:
    Mon: short speed 30's, 60's, flying sprints and fef and efe.

Thur: 30's and 2x3x70 or 2x3x80 walk back rec and 7-10min btw sets.

Tue/Fri: tempo work

Late season:
    Mon: speed 3x30, 60/80, 60/80

Thur: 3x30, 2x150

Quote Originally Posted by Pioneer View Post
    More questions.

Just finished with indoors now transitioning to outdoors which will only be 7 weeks-conference third weekend in April.

How do you best make that transition? I feel like they need a little bit of volume to restore fitness due to tapering but the first outdoor meet will be in two weekends so not a lot of time to ramp that up if necessary.

Not sure quite how to progress with not much time to make a transition really seemless. For SE could split runs be brought back into the program or have we passed the point where they could be useful? The last they were done was about mid-Dec. Or should a brief period of hill work be done to touch on acceleration development or for strength endurance.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Francis View Post
    A sub-max flying sprint is just a way to build up to sub max speed easily to work on good form. That can be done anytime. Speedchange (FEF, EFE) is great indoors since SE demands are lower when the emphasis is on 60m.
    In this case, with limited time to stretch out the SE, you need to spend most of the CNS energy perfecting that area. Hopefully, the speed change has already helped enough in the previous phase.
    If you have a longer development timeframe before the meets get going in earnest, you can spread things around as you prefer.
    This is just my preference under this particular circumstance. It's always a balancing act.

So it's okay to incorporate a small amount of sub-max finish drills to work on for ex. stepping over etc. for a few weeks but just stay away from the more stressful speed change drills?

I think I can recall you saying something similar to that previously.

Quote Originally Posted by Pioneer View Post
    So it's okay to incorporate a small amount of sub-max finish drills to work on for ex. stepping over etc. for a few weeks but just stay away from the more stressful speed change drills?

I think I can recall you saying something similar to that previously.
    Yup. (and I do prob start sounding like a broken record after a bit!)

Quote Originally Posted by tamfb View Post
    With such a short time period, I would have one short speed day and one spilt run day then move into typical SE work.

Early season:
    Mon: short speed 30's, 60's, flying sprints and fef and efe.

Thur: 30's and 2x3x70 or 2x3x80 walk back rec and 7-10min btw sets.

Tue/Fri: tempo work

Late season:
    Mon: speed 3x30, 60/80, 60/80

Thur: 3x30, 2x150
    for how long and for what age group? What change will you make once the meets start up (keep it to this case so people can compare ideas)

for how long and for what age group? What change will you make once the meets start up (keep it to this case so people can compare ideas)
    Hs/college sprinters. When the season starts I would either drop the SE work and run the kids in the 100/200 or 100 and maybe 1x150 after the meet OR reduce the SE work to 1-2x150 sub max during the week.

Hs/college sprinters. When the season starts I would either drop the SE work and run the kids in the 100/200 or 100 and maybe 1x150 after the meet OR reduce the SE work to 1-2x150 sub max.
    Sounds good. Would you keep the EFE,FEF right till the meets or drop them a bit earlier?

Sounds good. Would you keep the EFE,FEF right till the meets or drop them a bit earlier?
    Usually most schools have a 3-4 break between indoor and outdoor and during this period I would have a heavy dose of f-e-f and would drop them and move to flying sprints for a couple weeks then to 60-80's for the rest of season.

Usually most schools have a 3-4 break between indoor and outdoor and during this period I would have a heavy dose of f-e-f and would drop them and move to flying sprints for a couple weeks then to 60-80's for the rest of season.
    With the split run SE in the early phase, I figure it's a bit too close in effect but that may be habit as much as anything- trying to get one part down pat then then maintain the affected area (FEF,EFE mostly 0-30m and 60s and flying 20s 0 to 60) while trying to advance other very demanding qualities (mostly 80 to 120) in the limited time available.
    The original qualities are maintained by starts to 30- usually 4 reps at the start of all speed sessions, and the 60 portion maintained by reps on the way through to 80 and, to a lesser extent, 100.

With the split run SE in the early phase, I figure it's a bit too close in effect but that may be habit as much as anything- trying to get one part down pat then then maintain the affected area (FEF,EFE mostly 0-30m and 60s and flying 20s 0 to 60) while trying to advance other very demanding qualities (mostly 80 to 120) in the limited time available.
    The original qualities are maintained by starts to 30- usually 4 reps at the start of all speed sessions, and the 60 portion maintained by reps on the way through to 80 and, to a lesser extent, 100.
    Are you saying not to do FEF? Also I may be thinking about one of the athletes Im working with, who comp schedule look like this and the early season meets dont mean much to us.

Indoor ends March 9, 3-4 weeks to prep for outdoor.

Outdoor schedule:

4-Apr
    10-Apr
    17-Apr
    22-Apr
    25-Apr
    2-May big meet
    8-May big meet
    7-Jun: big meet

Another question for CF relating to split runs. Is there a limit to how long to stay with these into the comp. period? This coming weekend will be the first outdoor meet.

I was planning for a 400 guy this week to go with 2 x ( 200 + 100) then transitioning into two full SE reps with complete recovery for next week.

Also, I noted the variability in the RI between the two reps of 60-90 seconds. I opted for the longer 90 sec. for this phase of split runs as I thought the same guy going through a similar progression for the second time in the same season can likely achieve a greater output and thus require a slightly longer RI. Is this a logical
    progression?