Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Question for CF:

Question for CF:

I was unsure where to post this as there does not appear to be place on the forum specifically for the Key Concepts discussion unless I missed it.

On page 40 of structure of training for speed sample micros are offered for setting up a week between Sat. meets (I can recall asking that or similar question quite some time ago).

Option 2 is mentioned as being likely the best one. (Mon-SE Tues-tempo Wed-speed, Thurs-tempo or off Fri-few starts, sub max only). In that case, does the SE represent speed end. or special end.?

I think in the past that you said that races fulfill the role of the special endurance work.

Quote Originally Posted by Pioneer View Post
    I was unsure where to post this as there does not appear to be place on the forum specifically for the Key Concepts discussion unless I missed it.

On page 40 of structure of training for speed sample micros are offered for setting up a week between Sat. meets (I can recall asking that or similar question quite some time ago).

Option 2 is mentioned as being likely the best one. (Mon-SE Tues-tempo Wed-speed, Thurs-tempo or off Fri-few starts, sub max only). In that case, does the SE represent speed end. or special end.?

I think in the past that you said that races fulfill the role of the special endurance work.
    Depends on event 200/400 SE is special end but 100/200 or just 100 Speed End

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Francis View Post
    Depends on event 200/400 SE is special end but 100/200 or just 100 Speed End
    For the 100/200, would SE be, mid to late season something like 1 x 80m, 1x 100m, 1 x 120m, for example and for the 400 people something like 2 x 300 or something similar?

For the 100/200, would SE be, mid to late season something like 1 x 80m, 1x 100m, 1 x 120m, for example and for the 400 people something like 2 x 300 or something similar?
    Sounds good but very late season the 300s would likely drop to one rep, relying on the meets for the rest of the SE needs

Sounds good but very late season the 300s would likely drop to one rep, relying on the meets for the rest of the SE needs
    During mid season, do you recommend increasing, significantly, the rest periods between the SE reps or are they fairly long from the beginning?

You had mentioned before how John Smith had his guys running 2 x 350m without a full recovery(my words). You went on to say that when he wanted his guys to peak, he increased the RI's quite a bit. Is that something you have done?

During mid season, do you recommend increasingly, significantly, the rest periods between the SE reps or are they fairly long from the beginning?

You had mentioned before how John Smith had his guys running 2 x 350m without a full recovery(my words). You went on to say that when he wanted his guys to peak, he increased the RI's quite a bit. Is that something you have done?
    I have not done that, though it's possible. I've used long recoveries throughout- increasing later- so perhaps 20min and later 25 to 30min to ensure max performance.

I have not done that, though it's possible. I've used long recoveries throughout- increasing later- so perhaps 20min and later 25 to 30min to ensure max performance.
    Good stuff.

Once in the comp. phase and doing the 2 x 300m or so session for the 400m athlete, how do you best continue to advance the performances. Is it simply through the increase in the RI and/or should one move onto to slightly longer distances like 2 x 350m?

Understandbly, the improvements will come from many different factors but how do you best manipulate the SE session, specifically, to keep providing an adequate training stimulus?

Good stuff.

Once in the comp. phase and doing the 2 x 300m or so session for the 400m athlete, how do you best continue to advance the performances. Is it simply through the increase in the RI and/or should one move onto to slightly longer distances like 2 x 350m?

Understandbly, the improvements will come from many different factors but how do you best manipulate the SE session, specifically, to keep providing an adequate training stimulus?
    Charlie, ideas? Thanks.

Good stuff.

If they are closer to beginner 400 runners, I'd leave the SE at 300m and increase the RI. If I see a huge drop in times, I'd perhaps move to one rep a bit sooner in order not to fry the nervous system before getting the results I really want in the 400s. Again, if times are dropping there rapidly and there are meets each weekend, I'd consider reducing the SE to 1 x 200m to keep fresh for the weekend meets and I'd definitely look to reduce the number of 400s, particularly before an important comp, moving to 200s, and then go back up.

If they are closer to beginner 400 runners, I'd leave the SE at 300m and increase the RI. If I see a huge drop in times, I'd perhaps move to one rep a bit sooner in order not to fry the nervous system before getting the results I really want in the 400s. Again, if times are dropping there rapidly and there are meets each weekend, I'd consider reducing the SE to 1 x 200m to keep fresh for the weekend meets and I'd definitely look to reduce the number of 400s, particularly before an important comp, moving to 200s, and then go back up.
    By reducing the number of 400s, do you mean the number of 400 races-i.e. not to be confused with 400m as a part of SE II?