Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 29

Thread: USA Performance

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    498

    USA Performance

    USA have under-performed at these championships.

    Is the high standard of their trials taking a toll? It seems as though straight after trials, many of their athletes struggled to find form.

    There are exceptions of course - Merrit, Dix etc. But across the board - womens sprints, mens sprints, mens distance (lagat)....

    The increased level required for the US team seems to be more important and more of a peak compared to competing at the games themselves.

  2. #2
    US track and field overall has won more total medals than Jamaica and Russia combined. This is largely due to the mens sprinters winning 11 of a possible 15 total individual medals. This is actually more medals than they won in 2004. The women sprinters and hurdlers have won 4 medals, which matches the result for 2004.

    Contrary to what it appears, the problems are with the rest of the program. The really big failure is not as much the true sprinters as with the jumpers/PV (Jenn being the lone exception I think) and the distance runners (surprise!).

    The Jamaicans have clearly raised their game, and you can be sure Gay, Felix, Richards, and their coaches have taken note of this.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by lkh
    US track and field overall has won more total medals than Jamaica and Russia combined. This is largely due to the mens sprinters winning 11 of a possible 15 total individual medals. This is actually more medals than they won in 2004. The women sprinters and hurdlers have won 4 medals, which matches the result for 2004.

    Contrary to what it appears, the problems are with the rest of the program. The really big failure is not as much the true sprinters as with the jumpers/PV (Jenn being the lone exception I think) and the distance runners (surprise!).

    The Jamaicans have clearly raised their game, and you can be sure Gay, Felix, Richards, and their coaches have taken note of this.

    Thank you, and all the coaches who try and shit on the American training system should read your post.

  4. #4
    USA hasnt done bad, its just been beaten where it reallyyy counts

  5. #5
    Administrator Charlie Francis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    10,477
    Quote Originally Posted by tamfb
    Thank you, and all the coaches who try and shit on the American training system should read your post.
    The American training system isn't the question. Nor does the number of medals answer the issue.
    The real issue is: Have the American athletes performed as well in Beijing as they did at the trials? The answer is no and I think the reason is they're at their SECOND Olympics in 5 weeks!
    The US trials have more rounds than necessary in order to replicate the games and I think this is a mistake.
    Qualifying for the US team is tough enough. Why make it worse? Would Tyson Gay have been injured if he'd had three rounds of 100 instead of four?

  6. #6
    Bobby Kersee has 1 gold (Dawn Harper) and 3 silvers (Kerron Clement, Shawn Crawford, Allyson Felix). That puts him in a tie with Cuba and UK for 6th place among ALL NATIONS at the Beijing Olympics, and equal to the number of athletics medals from Australia, China, and Canada COMBINED.

  7. #7
    Administrator Charlie Francis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    10,477
    Quote Originally Posted by lkh
    Bobby Kersee has 1 gold (Dawn Harper) and 3 silvers (Kerron Clement, Shawn Crawford, Allyson Felix). That puts him in a tie with Cuba and UK for 6th place among ALL NATIONS at the Beijing Olympics, and equal to the number of athletics medals from Australia, China, and Canada COMBINED.
    See my post above. Kersee did HIS job: now what about the planners?

  8. #8
    Member John's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Kiwiland
    Posts
    4,400

    Question

    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Francis
    The American training system isn't the question. Nor does the number of medals answer the issue.
    The real issue is: Have the American athletes performed as well in Beijing as they did at the trials? The answer is no and I think the reason is they're at their SECOND Olympics in 5 weeks!
    The US trials have more rounds than necessary in order to replicate the games and I think this is a mistake.
    Qualifying for the US team is tough enough. Why make it worse? Would Tyson Gay have been injured if he'd had three rounds of 100 instead of four?
    is this a different time frame from previously?
    If not why has it not been such a factor before, or has it and it just hasn't been so noticeable?

    If it is different why the change?

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Francis
    The American training system isn't the question. Nor does the number of medals answer the issue.
    The real issue is: Have the American athletes performed as well in Beijing as they did at the trials? The answer is no and I think the reason is they're at their SECOND Olympics in 5 weeks!
    The US trials have more rounds than necessary in order to replicate the games and I think this is a mistake.
    Qualifying for the US team is tough enough. Why make it worse? Would Tyson Gay have been injured if he'd had three rounds of 100 instead of four?

    I totally agree but there are many coaches on the forum that always shit on the American training system. I hope in the next ol year we make the necessary changes so our athletes can perform at there true potential.

  10. #10
    Administrator Charlie Francis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    10,477
    Quote Originally Posted by John
    is this a different time frame from previously?
    If not why has it not been such a factor before, or has it and it just hasn't been so noticeable?

    If it is different why the change?
    A full Olympic schedule in the Trials is always a killer. If the US is overwhelming, it's hard to see but if there is close competition, it can go against the US.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •