Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: World Record 19.31!!1

Quote Originally Posted by ACOOPER
    By Michael Johnson
    Former 200m world record holder

Usain Bolt's 200m victory in a new world record time of 19.30 seconds was simply incredible. This guy is Superman II. [MJ being the self declared Superman I]

When I saw the start he made to the race, I just thought 'wow'. It was a much better start than the one he made in winning the 100m - in another new world record time - on Saturday.

Guys at 6ft 5ins tall should not be able to start like that. Bolt had the slowest start in the field in the 100m but here it was better than anyone else's and there were some good starters out there.

His drive phase, his transition, his bend, his home straight - it was all simply incredible.

Bolt was immediately up on Zimbabwe's Brian Dzingai, who is a very good 200m runner, and he started absolutely burning up the turn.

You've got to get out and run that in 10.01secs or so and I can imagine he ran about 10.00 around the curb, which is amazing.

After making up the stagger on all of the people outside him, Usain then opened a five to six metre gap on them.

The long stride means he ate up so much more track than everybody else did with each step and, for once, he ran through the finish line.

This is Bolt's favourite event and he wanted that record; he went for it, he came here focused on it. He knew that most likely he'd win gold but gave it every single thing he had.

My concern, and the reason I thought he might not get the world record here, was that he wouldn't have been working on his speed endurance, the ability to hold that speed for the entire race.

But he showed that he actually has been working on that and was able to bring it home in 19.30secs; an incredible time, an incredible performance.

This performance was much better than the 100m because we saw Bolt giving it every single ounce of energy, even a lean at the tape.

And that lean was not based on trying to beat anyone else because the other guys weren't anywhere close to him.

He was just trying to hold that speed for as long as he could and grab that record, which he's done.

It's about the accomplishment, that's what he's going to take from this. He worked so hard to break that world record.

I don't see any reason why he couldn't now move up to the 400m but I'm not sure if he'll be able to break the world record in that.

In my opinion he'll now switch his focus back to the 100m, knowing there's a little more he can take off the 9.69sec. He can start better and go down into the low 9.60s.

But for now all I can say is congratulations, Usain Bolt.

Michael Johnson was talking on BBC Television

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/olym...cs/7572854.stm
    Oh Yes. A 19.31 is so much tougher than a 9.69!! ON WHAT PLANET??
    It was tougher to do here cause he was tired and had less than optimal conditions.
    You saw my comparative analysis of 19.04 and I'm sticking to it- as the minimum he can do if all goes perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Francis
    Not that anyone on CBC could be considered an authority but can anyone look it up? Whay would they have changed the rule? Looks like a stupid idea now doesn't it?
    This is all I could find with a quick search.

Running in Lanes
    3. In all races run in lanes, each athlete shall keep within his allocated lane from start to finish.
    This shall also apply to any portion of a race run in lanes and in a race (or any part of the race) not run in lanes, when an athlete runs on a bend, on or inside the line (or kerb) marking the inside of the track (including on the diversion from the track for the steeplechase water jump).

Except as stated in 163.4, if the Referee is satisfied, on the report of a Judge or Umpire or otherwise, that an athlete has run outside his
    lane, he shall be disqualified.

If an athlete either:
    (a) runs outside his lane in the straight, and no material advantage
    is gained or
    (b) runs outside the outer line of his lane on the bend, with no material advantage thereby being gained, and no other athlete is obstructed then he shall likewise not be disqualified.

as i know it, the inch wide line is part of the lane, so if you step a little bit over the line, it's tresspassing

I was shocked to just see here that Martina was DQ'd! Personally I don't know if I've ever seen a runner DQ'd for lane violation in the 200 (seen it in 400 though). I thought the Spearmon DQ could be somewhat justified because he may have gained an advantage on Crawford (also consider Crawford's .2+ reaction), but Martina? come on!!! Let's see the footage! I'm surprised USA didn't protest Bolt with a lane violation

I just read in the newspaper that bolt said he would no longer run individual events, only relay events for his country. Anybody else hear this?

Quote Originally Posted by T.J. Perry
    I just read in the newspaper that bolt said he would no longer run individual events, only relay events for his country. Anybody else hear this?
    yea...at this olympics.

Yes bolt's retiring from individual running

I didnít believe it either, Iím sure the reporter misinterpreted what he said.

I didnít believe it either, Iím sure the reporter misinterpreted what he said.
    Bolt said the 200m final was his last individual event and that relay he "guesses" he's doing.
    Pretty obvious too its his last event doh

Who Has The Video For This Thing. Omg!!!!