Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: plyo question

  1. #1

    plyo question

    pierrejean you quoted....

    "I've used the Verkhoshanskiy's study for the last past 3 years, but always doing the jumps after the sprint workouts (before is not an appropriate warm-up to prepare sprint) and with what would be very low volume for many. I counted as short jumps the shot throw forward or backward which is actually a jump more than a throw for the sprinters. For the sprinter who uses this approach, i've seen constant improvement in the distances for these exercises over years which obviously didn't came from practice (or lack of), so i guess it mirrors something else... Out of meetings period, the guys like when i plan these as tests because they need competition and see how good they are, they have fun especially when they break PBs it gives motivation and confidence with not much risk.

    I would warn you about doing the "long jumps" when you need the speed at training, because we noticed a drop during about a week. Also, alternative leg boundings is dangerous, and double foot boundings for several contacts too, because they can rip and get injured, especially when they are ready to do the first jump over 3m. Only guys coming from long training history with a typical European approach can handle it but my guess is that too high volume of this work would stand on the road of speed improvement. Please introduced safely any of these kind of plyometrics for the sprinters."

    i wanted to know the examples of short jumps you did with them, or was it just over head medball throws and forward throws?

  2. #2
    These are the exercises we use as plyo
    - Jumps into mat (single, double, with box...)
    - Jumps into sand pit (single, triple, double, seldomely 5).
    - Multi bounds
    - Hurdles Hops (space ? heights ?)
    - Straight leg series (on stairs, on box)
    - Throws (medicine ball or shot)

    I'm coaching 3 sprinters who were 100m national Champs of their respective countries and give them have very different work for plyo : one only does throws and jumps on mat, one does all the exercises except multi bounds and only once in a while the jumps into sand pit , the last one does all of them except jumps on mat.
    Injury history, current health and training period guides my choices.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by pierrejean
    These are the exercises we use as plyo
    - Jumps into mat (single, double, with box...)
    - Jumps into sand pit (single, triple, double, seldomely 5).
    - Multi bounds
    - Hurdles Hops (space ? heights ?)
    - Straight leg series (on stairs, on box)
    - Throws (medicine ball or shot)

    I'm coaching 3 sprinters who were 100m national Champs of their respective countries and give them have very different work for plyo : one only does throws and jumps on mat, one does all the exercises except multi bounds and only once in a while the jumps into sand pit , the last one does all of them except jumps on mat.
    Injury history, current health and training period guides my choices.
    What are "jumps into mat"?

  4. #4
    can you give a brief example as to what type of injuries caused you to be specific on which type of plyo exercise to do?

  5. #5
    Jump into mat is a jump landing into a high jump mat (squat jump, counter movement jump, with or without hops or walking run-up, various mat height, from 1m to chest height, holding medicine ball or not, etc).

    Example of injury : One of the guys broke a heel bone some years ago, and now anytime he jumps he feels pains in that area. He can only do throws and jumps on mat.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by pierrejean
    Jump into mat is a jump landing into a high jump mat (squat jump, counter movement jump, with or without hops or walking run-up, various mat height, from 1m to chest height, holding medicine ball or not, etc).

    Example of injury : One of the guys broke a heel bone some years ago, and now anytime he jumps he feels pains in that area. He can only do throws and jumps on mat.
    How many avg contacts are usually done during gpp/spp/comp?

  7. #7
    We never used more than 100 contacts, which is for mutli bounds, only done during GPP. We use moslty 10 to 50.

    This has to be balanced with the other apsects of training, the guy who doesn't do much plyo is the only one to do Olympic lifts. The one who does the least plyo is the fastest of the group.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,592
    Who is the third guy??? R, O, and ???

  9. #9
    He's a 100m national champ this year, sorry can't say more.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by pierrejean
    He's a 100m national champ this year, sorry can't say more.
    Abdominal/adductor issues in the past haven't helped either.

    PJ, just out of curiosity and in a fantasy world, would you expect some more/different plyos helping a(ny) specific part of His race? That's a genuine question. Thanks!
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit" Aristotle

Similar Threads

  1. European Records Fall
    By Rupert in forum Intl. Track & Field
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-08-2009, 04:04 AM
  2. Bolt's relay 38.10 WL
    By kitkat1 in forum In the News
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-03-2009, 08:30 PM
  3. Ground contact time?
    By Cheetah in forum Advanced Sprint Training
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 05-20-2008, 09:29 PM
  4. Training Analysis Calculator
    By CoolColJ in forum Strength Training
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-23-2003, 06:49 PM
  5. Haggis
    By OorWullie in forum Forum Archives
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 02-14-2003, 05:05 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •