Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Arbeit's Strikes Again!

Quote Originally Posted by Optimax
    I was at the EACA conference in Moscow and Dr. Arbeit stated that the East German coaches caught Ben on video tape squatting 240kg after the semi final in Seoul. This point was raised as part of a discussion on preloading athletes prior to competition. Dr. Arbeit stated the type of preload work you do must be specific to the capacity of the individual athlete. He mentioned a typical EG sprint workout on a Wednesday (prior to a Saturday competition) would be 1 x 80m / 1 x 120m at 95% with 20 minutes rest. He also mentioned that Marita Koch ran 2 x 200m from a rolling start in 22.5 immediately prior to her WR, and that she had run workouts that year of 3 x 460m pulling a 12kg tire with 20 minutes rest.
    I thought the reference to Ben was humorous because I had read previous posts on this site regarding Ben and the "Seoul Squat".
    How much of Arbeit can you believe when you know the facts of the BJ anecdote?

Running around an oval hauling a 12kg tyre must have produced some nice sheering forces on her joints ...

From what I had heard previously about Koch's training, running overdistance doesn't sound correct. Especially if Arbeit says she ran that throughout the year. I could believe it more readily if he had said she ran the distance once, unloaded, toward the end of a special preparation phase.

Anyone have Marita's contact details. It would be great to ask her what she did.

PJ, have you got any part of her training program???

Quote Originally Posted by DMA
    I'm proud of my accountants body. Taken me 10 years to get one, where as most other people take a year :
    Who is she?

Quote Originally Posted by kitkat1
    How much of Arbeit can you believe when you know the facts of the BJ anecdote?

Running around an oval hauling a 12kg tyre must have produced some nice sheering forces on her joints ...

From what I had heard previously about Koch's training, running overdistance doesn't sound correct. Especially if Arbeit says she ran that throughout the year. I could believe it more readily if he had said she ran the distance once, unloaded, toward the end of a special preparation phase.

Anyone have Marita's contact details. It would be great to ask her what she did.

PJ, have you got any part of her training program???
    You're on the right track!!

He mentioned a typical EG sprint workout on a Wednesday (prior to a Saturday competition) would be 1 x 80m / 1 x 120m at 95% with 20 minutes rest. He also mentioned that Marita Koch ran 2 x 200m from a rolling start in 22.5 immediately prior to her WR,
    Horst Hilla told me only one longer run WEd, but, hey! What did he know!
    KK. You were there at the WU track with Marita before the WR. wasn't it 1 x 300m?

I thought the reference to Ben was humorous because I had read previous posts on this site regarding Ben and the "Seoul Squat".
    Frank Dick has also been promoting this idea at other IAAF events. Why they are saying these things if they never happened is a mystery to me.

Quote Originally Posted by TopCat
    Frank Dick has also been promoting this idea at other IAAF events. Why they are saying these things if they never happened is a mystery to me.
    Cause Frank was always a clueless BS artist.

Well...sometimes if you have an idea you feel is worthy, you add some famous reference to re enforce your belief...also...attaching your names to famous ones is a sure way to get audience attention.

Quote Originally Posted by TopCat
    Because...
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Francis
    They lied and said it's true and now can't back away from the lie.
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit" Aristotle

KK. You were there at the WU track with Marita before the WR. wasn't it 1 x 300m?
    i would like to know more here!?? if you please

i know Seb Coe used to run some 200's or 300's before meets if breathing was an issue due to air (due to racing in foreign countries or states i think it was) but they weren't fast - maybe 38-40ish sec i believe. Done during the warm ups. Gets the lungs used to the air before you race, primes the system so to speak so come race, its all ready to go.
    ill see maybe if i can dig it up tomorrow.

In 1985 I had already coached a sprinter to Moscow and LA Olympics and still didn't know whether my arse was on fire. So unfortunately I didn't see Koch do any training or trials because I wasn't smart enough to be there in the right place at the right time. But I sure did see that 47.60. She looked like she was sprinting 100m and just kept turning over at the same rate for the entire 400m. It was ridiculous - like a windup doll.