Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Football Strength and conditioning Books Review

Football Strength and conditioning Books Review

I was searching something new on Amazon, and came across a new book on S&C for football, so I thought about opening a new thread, with rewiews and so on..

*Complete conditioning for football (Arthur & Bailey):
    I have it, a good book overall, helpful in setting up a program, lots of agility drills (nothing new), concentrates on big lifts and offers a kind of periodization.Speed training provides too short of a rest, and illustration of some speed drills is faulty, IMHO.(based on NEbraska experience)

*The Path to Athletic Power ( BOyd Epley, NEBRASKA): Not have it, not sure it is too different from the first one.

*Speed strenght training for footbal. (E J Doc Kreis) I have it, a bit confused...not really well setted up..have to build up some to gather routine and periodization...lacks the speed/conditiong part, except for some bounds and plyos..the photos of certain exercises are ugly----but introduced med ball works and explosive lifts as a fundation for football players.(Middle Tennessee State)

* 52 week football training (Ben Cook)..Not read yet, but not heard great comments (North Carolina)

* A chance to Win (Mike Gentry)..Virginia tech, big book, haven't heard much on it..

*Conditioning for Football and then some (Tom Zupancic)..Indianapolis colts...love to get it seems very old style...

*Football Training like the Pros (Chip Smith)..ths is why I started the thread, seems brand new...has something in the excerpts interesting..so I think I'll buy it...
    Do someone has some article reference for him?

Quote Originally Posted by eroszag
    I was searching something new on Amazon, and came across a new book on S&C for football, so I thought about opening a new thread, with rewiews and so on..

*Complete conditioning for football (Arthur & Bailey):
    I have it, a good book overall, helpful in setting up a program, lots of agility drills (nothing new), concentrates on big lifts and offers a kind of periodization.Speed training provides too short of a rest, and illustration of some speed drills is faulty, IMHO.(based on NEbraska experience)

*The Path to Athletic Power ( BOyd Epley, NEBRASKA): Not have it, not sure it is too different from the first one.

*Speed strenght training for footbal. (E J Doc Kreis) I have it, a bit confused...not really well setted up..have to build up some to gather routine and periodization...lacks the speed/conditiong part, except for some bounds and plyos..the photos of certain exercises are ugly----but introduced med ball works and explosive lifts as a fundation for football players.(Middle Tennessee State)

* 52 week football training (Ben Cook)..Not read yet, but not heard great comments (North Carolina)

* A chance to Win (Mike Gentry)..Virginia tech, big book, haven't heard much on it..

*Conditioning for Football and then some (Tom Zupancic)..Indianapolis colts...love to get it seems very old style...

*Football Training like the Pros (Chip Smith)..ths is why I started the thread, seems brand new...has something in the excerpts interesting..so I think I'll buy it...
    Do someone has some article reference for him?

Complete conditioning for football (Arthur & Bailey): Outdated..

A chance to Win (Mike Gentry)..Virginia tech, big book, haven't heard much on it.. It's ok but i was expecting more.

You need to get Doc Kries old book, the guy is great. he was at CU and now at UCLA.

The name of the other Kreis Book? (speed strenght I already have).

Any opinion on Chip Smith?

Quote Originally Posted by eroszag
    The name of the other Kreis Book? (speed strenght I already have).

Any opinion on Chip Smith?
    what do u think about it?

Kreis book is good. It was possibly the first book on strength I ever bought. Helped point me in the right direction and an easy read too.

Quote Originally Posted by mortac8
    Kreis book is good. It was possibly the first book on strength I ever bought. Helped point me in the right direction and an easy read too.
    i heard it was good, what was some of the key points u took from it.

Don't remember specifically. It basically said to do heavy squats & cleans and include high & low (actually H-M-L) intensity days. That's all I needed as a newbie.

Exactly the same point, but I've read it now..so nthing new at all!!!
    What I disliked is that is a bit cryptical in designing the actual rutine, and misses the conditioning /speed part

One of Doc Kreis' older books is entitled "Sports Agility", and is co-authored by Frank Costello, formerly(?) of the University of Maryland...

Quote Originally Posted by devils
    One of Doc Kreis' older books is entitled "Sports Agility", and is co-authored by Frank Costello, formerly(?) of the University of Maryland...
    yes thats the one im talking about: http://www.power-systems.com/nav/clo...?c=Srch&g=1440