Page 1 of 30 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Coming back from chronic achilles

Coming back from chronic achilles

Since 1998 I have had ongoing AT problems. I have had several MRI & ultra sounds over the years. My last ultrasound a few weeks showed only minor tendinopathy in both tendons. At the moment they feel good. I did show promise as a young athlete running consistent 11.0s and low 22s as at 16-17.

In the weight room I stay away from Max weights, I have very good PBs in the weight room however I tended to get neural fatigue with high intensity weights + track work.

I donít squat or dead lift, I didnít do these as a teenager and I ran very well. I found that I get too heavy with them. As a senior athlete my squats went from 120kg to 200kg yet it didnít cross over to my sprinting. My standing long at its best has been 350cm at the moment it would be 320cm. I donít train specifically for power or max strength, my workouts have shifted so what I do the track is the number one priority.

My training is structured so Monday to Friday is on grass; on Sat I do a 1x145m race. Our club fortunately has its own electric timing equipment.

Aug 12- 19

Mon- upper body circuit

Tues- Grass 100,150,100,100 7 minutes recov 12.0,18.2,12.0,11.6

Wed & Thu Upper body circuit + eccentric calf work

Friday - Grass 30m x4, 4.2,4.0,3.99,3.90/ 50x2 6.2,6.2

Sat : race 1x145 16.75 electric -2.2

Sunday- 50 tempo shuttle runs 50x5x3 ( didnt do rained all day)

August 20-26 plan

Mon 6x200 tempo + upper body circuit
    Tues rest
    Wed 100,150,150 @95%+ upper body circuit
    Thurs 50 tempo shuttle runs 50x5x3
    Fri- off
    Sat- race 145
    Sun- ? undecided

Your thoughts? would be appreciated

The key to preventing AT is eccentric calf work (making sure the TibAnt is not inhibited) and allowing enough time for the calves to recovery between training sessions. Sounds to me like you will run fast if you simply keep on top of the calves.

Commonsense would suggest that you are doing the right exercises for your injury.

However I'd like to suggest, and this is very difficult to analyse without seeing you run, but problems in your lower back, glutes and hips (psoas) maybe preventing you from hitting nicely under your body, hence a little blocking when you stride forward. In my experience, and it does come through more visual analysis and practical applications toward the hamstrings, this does lead to less pulling of the leg through the ground and intensity on those muscle groups. Perhaps you might look at increasing the strength in the glute chain through squats and deads, also better treatment of these areas.

Anyway, if you are to overcome things, we should look for you in a decent pro race, just like the experiences of Mark and Duncan through Youngy.

All the best!

Reply Topcat:

Today is one day after I raced and I didn't have any soreness. I do a lot of eccentic work, so at the moment it's good. I just need to to be able to get this going so I can get enough training cycles behind me to improve.

Thanks for your Input

August 20-26 plan

Raining again, I may have to do lower body circuit in the gym to mimic tempo & do some stadium stairs.

Tues rest
    Fri- off
    Sat- race 145
    Sun- ? undecided

Monday 20 Aug

The grass track was too wet for 200s:

5x130 hills +5x40m hills @75% with walk back recoveries.

3setsx10 single leg calf raise

Tues 21 Aug

-Upper body circuit
    -1x50,1x150 hills ( started to rain heavily mid session called it off)
    -3x10 single calf raises.

Aug 22nd

-4x10 single calf raises
    3x30 A skips
    12x30 accel mondo middle distance spikes
    hurdle hops 5x3
    -upper body circuit

Quote Originally Posted by Sharmer
    August 20-26 plan

Raining again, I may have to do lower body circuit in the gym to mimic tempo & do some stadium stairs.

Tues rest
    Fri- off
    Sat- race 145
    Sun- ? undecided
    Yes, replacing tempo with circuits is valuable and stairs can relieve pressure on the achilles if the stretch from hills is an issue for you.
    Hills definitely are an advantage over the flat runs as long as they're not too steep.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Francis
    Yes, replacing tempo with circuits is valuable and stairs can relieve pressure on the achilles if the stretch from hills is an issue for you.
    Hills definitely are an advantage over the flat runs as long as they're not too steep.
    Aug 23

I spent the last week on hills and stairs. Considering I did accel work yesterday I have no soreness this morning.

Do you think it is a viable long term substitue?