Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Movement Prep

Hybrid View

Movement Prep

I had the opportunity to watch Charlie's GPP Essentials DVD - excellent!

I thought the movement prep was long but needed for a track athlete.

What are your thoughts on the duration of a movement prep for college/Jr/professional athletes, in particular hockey?

I don't know what movement prep means, but there are a large number of players that train as sprinters in the offseason. Sidney Crosby for one.

Movement prep is a combination of warm-up, activation and dynamic drills prior to speed, plyos and strength training.

I try to get my guys to train a good portion of their off-season like a sprinter. I feel the more stuff like this I can get them to do the better they'll be.

I had my first ice session with my guys last night. I had one of my older clients put them through a real thorough workout focusing on all the basics like edge control, cross-overs and starts&stops. You could really see how rusty they can get with the basics and when they work on these things how much easier skating becomes. I feel this is the same if they are to do the movement preps on a regular basis.

Most hockey guys ride the bike a ton hit the weights slightly less and do the agility ladder even less than that. Then the go on the ice skate around, play shinny and develop a ton of bad habits. Get them on a routine they can do everyday and they have a way better chance at being ready to go come October. We get good at what we do most of the time and if what we do most of the time is ride the bike and play drop in hockey then how can we expect to make any gains other than strength?

Thanks for the info.

I have also had great luck training my off-season hockey guys using CFTS, working more on the acceleration phase. They tell me the easy/fast/easy and fast/easy/ fast running feel alot like the acceleration requirements on-ice. Running the big circuit is somewhat taxing for them but reinforces good running techniques, which many hockey guys don't have.
    I will point out that you need to watch training volumes with hockey players, simply because they are not runners, some are big guys, and the banging around can be brutal on their shins.

I'm still trying to figure out the obsession with the bike in hockey- short hams and hip flexors are not the training outcomes I'm looking for with my players!
    Also- I've read about the shortcomings of agility ladders on the forums, but the guys I work with like them, and feel they help their feet. Could it be a placebo effect, like swinging a heavier bat in the on-deck circle? and are the ladders detrimental? If not, I would tend to leave them in.

It sure is just a matter of gradual increases in volume and adequate recovery, yeah right, what about being in skates most of the time and losing ankle mobility? Is it not one factor that may cause shin splints, mostly if the guy is heavy?

Shin splints has been hacked over and over on the forum. I'm sure a search will produce lots of Exercises to do.
    eg
    Calf massage / stretching
    Tib Ant strengthening / massage
    Feet strengthening

thanks boldwarrior, it sums up what I meant to say. In the discussion I thought there were some really good points on volume regulation and recovery management with heavier players and concerns like these, but I think when it comes to being in skates a big part of the year, some extra work needs to be done on the structures to get them loose enough and get enough tissue quality to tolerate speed work...

I like 30-40m sprints coming off a curve into the straight for establishing solid cross-over quick feet technique(on ice) with fellow hockey players. The curve work in both directions will provide a reference point in the mind of solid slow feeling technically sound crossovers which look very fast on the ice to the outside observer.

As for ankle mobilty i go with jump rope after inseason ice sessions for 12 - 15 minutes(8-10 reps of 30-40 secs separated with 1 min recoveries). 3-4 X a week, again after the ice session.