Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Very hard to gain weight

Very hard to gain weight

I want to gain weight for football. I am 16, 5'9 155-160lbs, 6%bf, naturally lean and people say I have a fast metabolism. I play WR and Rover(OLB) in football. I want to get up to 165-175lbs. I have been eating over 3000-3500 Calories per day for the past week or two now and I have not gained any weight. I eat 4-6 meals per day and it is all pretty clean food. I have eliminated sodas for the past 5 years(seriously), candy and desserts for the past 2 years(I maybe eat one dessert when I am in an off-phase), and I try to eliminate any high fat or unhealthy food the best I can. I end each day with a high calorie shake with about 800-900 calories.

If yall need to know anything else just ask.

In my opinion its usually all about calories. Most people think they take in more calories than they actually. Did you take a count of your calories before hand, then after the fact? How good of record do you keep of your calories? The type of calories usually do not make a signficant difference as the amount of energy expensed to break down the various calories is usually of little effect on weight obviously it is still better to eat healthy as you are doing, but the type of calorie usually doesnt have major effect on your weight. I really do not know much about absorbtion and its effect on the body, however i do know that eggs have a significantly higher absorbtion rate than high caloric shakes. I have found shakes to usually have almost no effect on my weight, while eggs 7-8 where you would put a shake to have a positive effect on my weight. Obviously eggs also have a negative effect, but thats just my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by popequique
    In my opinion its usually all about calories. Most people think they take in more calories than they actually. Did you take a count of your calories before hand, then after the fact? How good of record do you keep of your calories? The type of calories usually do not make a signficant difference as the amount of energy expensed to break down the various calories is usually of little effect on weight obviously it is still better to eat healthy as you are doing, but the type of calorie usually doesnt have major effect on your weight. I really do not know much about absorbtion and its effect on the body, however i do know that eggs have a significantly higher absorbtion rate than high caloric shakes. I have found shakes to usually have almost no effect on my weight, while eggs 7-8 where you would put a shake to have a positive effect on my weight. Obviously eggs also have a negative effect, but thats just my experience.
    I have a pretty good idea of how much my caloric intake is. I do have pretty intense workouts and I do alot of conditioning in the texas heat so that probably burns a lot of my calories. So are you saying that eggs would help me gain weight?

I will go ahead and list what I put in my shake. I take that back its probably 650-700 calories.

1 scoop 100%whey by ON
    1 Banana
    2-3tbsp of Peanut butter
    8oz Nonfat Dry Milk
    1/2 cup oats

Record diet (everything) and training. Adjust intake as needed. Shouldn't be that hard but some people obviously have a more difficult time gaining weight than others. BTW, it's very hard to eat clean all the time and still get the calories that you need/want if you're trying to gain weight. And please don't respond with "but I don't want to get fat"

The makeup of your shake is not going to change ur diet that much but u want stuff that absorbs in your body more. Peanut butter and milk are both good at absorbtion so they are fine. Shakes are notoriously bad and I believe oats are fairly poor as well, not sure of bananas. But on the protein side the top absorbers are peanut related products, eggs, milk, chicken at the top. But definately keep better records write it down for two or three weeks and then adjust it as needed. If you switched the calories by 200 on ur shake alone you should probably keep a journal for a couple weeks and note your weight as well.

I agree with what was said above about increase the calories. If you're not gaining weight you're just not eating enough calories. I have a similar body type you do, when I was in my early 20's I wanted to gain weight I had to be taking over 4000 calories/day to get the weight up.

Quote Originally Posted by Ku2u#1
    I want to gain weight for football. I am 16, 5'9 155-160lbs, 6%bf, naturally lean and people say I have a fast metabolism. I play WR and Rover(OLB) in football. I want to get up to 165-175lbs. I have been eating over 3000-3500 Calories per day for the past week or two now and I have not gained any weight. I eat 4-6 meals per day and it is all pretty clean food. I have eliminated sodas for the past 5 years(seriously), candy and desserts for the past 2 years(I maybe eat one dessert when I am in an off-phase), and I try to eliminate any high fat or unhealthy food the best I can. I end each day with a high calorie shake with about 800-900 calories.

If yall need to know anything else just ask.
    gonna be very diffcult for you to gain weight at this point in the year bc your conditioning load has increased, i would perfer to gain weight in the offseason jan-may so your body has time to adjust to the new weight.

The conditioning load was still high back in that time also, and I did my own speed work. But I think I will just have to use meal replacements. Also if I do get my weight up, will I have to maintain it consistently?

1 can of coconut milk = 510 calories

This is all you need to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Blinky
    1 can of coconut milk = 510 calories

This is all you need to know.

damn, how much pro/carbs